• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nothing stat. India’s bowling to a line up where you only have to pitch the thing up to get them out. That’s the weakness, you bowl to it. You don’t keep bowling full when there’s nothing doing to blokes who live on their front foot, any more than you bowl four bouncers an over to Viv Richards.

Witness how spelendidly Australia’s “pitch it up on a flat deck cos we want to be pleasant to blokes who like to drive” approach is going today.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like I said, I understand the history, but I'm not sure how many of those past series had Australia willingly leaving out it's best players (maybe a few from WSC days? I don't know)

It's definitely an achievement, literally all I'm saying is that this cycle, in these circumstances, I'd have preferred a win in SA or Eng. It's still good though.
Nah, beating Australia in Australia is the most prestigious prize in world cricket and always will be. Beating England or South Africa is fun but beating Australia is the stuff of legend.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is pretty wrong imo. Most Australians have grown up with their team always being in top. I remember being so bored of Australia dominating I wanted us to lose. Im happy for India and im sure plenty others are too. Kohli gets booed because his personality seems ****y
kohli's behaviour is virtually indistinguishable from pretty much every great australian player in my lifetime. compare him to ponting, who kohli takes after to a startling degree

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Like I said, I understand the history, but I'm not sure how many of those past series had Australia willingly leaving out it's best players (maybe a few from WSC days? I don't know)

It's definitely an achievement, literally all I'm saying is that this cycle, in these circumstances, I'd have preferred a win in SA or Eng. It's still good though.
No way. Nobody is going to care about all the surrounding circumstances. This is the Big One.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nothing stat. India’s bowling to a line up where you only have to pitch the thing up to get them out. That’s the weakness, you bowl to it. You don’t keep bowling full when there’s nothing doing to blokes who live on their front foot, any more than you bowl four bouncers an over to Viv Richards.

Witness how spelendidly Australia’s “pitch it up on a flat deck cos we want to be pleasant to blokes who like to drive” approach is going today.
it's still a better idea to bowl in a place bringing three different modes of dismissal into play than hoping than pujara will mess up his back foot defence for once

TheJediBrah

No way. Nobody is going to care about all the surrounding circumstances. This is the Big One.
They definitely are. It's been a huge discussion point for half a year. You might not care, and that's fine.

it's still a better idea to bowl in a place bringing three different modes of dismissal into play than hoping than pujara will mess up his back foot defence for once
not necessarily. tbh I think the outside off/short of a length plan has worked pretty well. Attacking the stumps a lot more wouldn't have led to better results IMO.

mr_mister

kohli's behaviour is virtually indistinguishable from pretty much every great australian player in my lifetime. compare him to ponting, who kohli takes after to a startling degree
Well obviously we're not gonna boo our own players quite as often, but we definitely have in the past. Mark Waugh got booed after the bookie scandal, Warner may cop a bit upon return

stephen

Nothing stat. India’s bowling to a line up where you only have to pitch the thing up to get them out. That’s the weakness, you bowl to it. You don’t keep bowling full when there’s nothing doing to blokes who live on their front foot, any more than you bowl four bouncers an over to Viv Richards*.

*unless your name is Dennis ****ing Lillee

Spark

Global Moderator
They definitely are. It's been a huge discussion point for half a year. You might not care, and that's fine.

not necessarily. tbh I think the outside off/short of a length plan has worked pretty well. Attacking the stumps a lot more wouldn't have led to better results IMO.
in what observable sense has it "worked well" in this test match

Spark

Global Moderator
Well obviously we're not gonna boo our own players quite as often, but we definitely have in the past. Mark Waugh got booed after the bookie scandal, Warner may cop a bit upon return
well yeah but then it's not his behaviour that they're booing is it

cnerd123

likes this
I'd back this Aus lineup to beat the current SL, BD and Pak lineups at home. And Afghanistan.

India winning here is significant. They've played really well. Could have easily had lost this series if it weren't for Pujara and Bumrah being epic, the other bats applying themselves to pull out some valuable runs, and the rest of the bowlers actually bowling well. India have had to play well to be in this position, and have needed a fair bit of luck. This result wasn't a given before the series started - many people favored Australia to win the series.

Don't try to downplay this. If India secure the series here, it would be absolutely magnificent and rightly so.

TheJediBrah

in what observable sense has it "worked well" in this test match
We're talking about the series. I think a consistently straighter/fuller line could have been less effective and given away more runs.

edit: pretty much what Stephen said. Could have been a lot worse.

stephen

The lowest point in Australian cricketing history is the fact that Pant has made more runs than any of our batsmen.