• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

Tom Flint

International Regular
Why don't Aus pick this in England

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Maxwell
Head
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The whole youth focus has hurt Australian cricket from grade cricket upwards
Totally agree. Hussey came into the side when he was 30 and bossed it because he was selected on merit.

This whole youth policy basically means that the young kids don't go through the grade system, learn how to compile big scores and learn all about the game from older players, who are also trying to be selected.

Gnske

Good deep post there Morgieb, but boy oh boy what I'd give for a Nicholls, Elgar or Karunaratne right now.

There's no winning with our stocks right now. If this series heads to oblivion, which seems more and more likely, use the SL series to experiment I say. Very demeaning in a way, and to be honest we've learned that runs at home in the past can mean so very little, but so little choice remains.

Whatever experimentation happens, you can bet the Marsh family will be there though.

Gnske

Totally agree. Hussey came into the side when he was 30 and bossed it because he was selected on merit.

This whole youth policy basically means that the young kids don't go through the grade system, learn how to compile big scores and learn all about the game from older players, who are also trying to be selected.
Which players are really representative of this policy? We're talking progressing through youth, to lower grades to first grade on to FC right? If I understand that system at all that is.

stephen

Which players are really representative of this policy? We're talking progressing through youth, to lower grades to first grade on to FC right? If I understand that system at all that is.
Off the top of my head - Jack Edwards.

It's equally about the players who never get a shot at shield cricket because they're too "old" at 25 or whatever.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Good deep post there Morgieb, but boy oh boy what I'd give for a Nicholls, Elgar or Karunaratne right now.

There's no winning with our stocks right now. If this series heads to oblivion, which seems more and more likely, use the SL series to experiment I say. Very demeaning in a way, and to be honest we've learned that runs at home in the past can mean so very little, but so little choice remains.

Whatever experimentation happens, you can bet the Marsh family will be there though.

Isn't that what the last 5 years have been? Too many guys have already got test caps which they didn't deserve.

I'm finding it hard to name even 5 players born between 1980 and 1985 who should've played for Australia and didn't. It was quite a dead period for quality Australian batsmen.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Off the top of my head - Jack Edwards.

It's equally about the players who never get a shot at shield cricket because they're too "old" at 25 or whatever.
I think people forget Mike Hussey was a pretty average opener in shield cricket - I think his average for WA was less than 40 or there abouts. He only really turned a corner when he made those triples for Northants in his late 20's. It's a shame a whole generation of those cricketers with experience got the flick once they didn't get their state contracts renewed. The futures league age rules and the tightening of Kolpak rules here removed any legit pathways back into state or national contention.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah very good post Morgie.

Im just so frustrated. Indias bowling has been terrific but man.. Our highest score was just 22, thats just horrible.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Renshaw, Burns and Maxwell have all shown they can build innings and score tons in tests. No good reason they are all missing with Warner and Smith out. This is on CA, the selectors and Langer.

We really need to blacklist Darsh and unblacklist Maxi.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think people forget Mike Hussey was a pretty average opener in shield cricket - I think his average for WA was less than 40 or there abouts. He only really turned a corner when he made those triples for Northants in his late 20's. It's a shame a whole generation of those cricketers with experience got the flick once they didn't get their state contracts renewed. The futures league age rules and the tightening of Kolpak rules here removed any legit pathways back into state or national contention.
It's worth noting Hussey was definitely in the selectors thoughts before going to England. Average was more like mid-40's before starting at county level.....which given how many guns were regularly playing Shield cricket is very respectable.

stephen

Renshaw, Burns and Maxwell have all shown they can build innings and score tons in tests. No good reason they are all missing with Warner and Smith out. This is on CA, the selectors and Langer.

We really need to blacklist Darsh and unblacklist Maxi.
Agreed. When we had the batting stocks we could afford to ignore batsmen that were not liked. But we can't any more.

stephen

I'd really like Burns to come into the middle order with Renshaw opening. I think he could thrive there.

aussie tragic

International Captain
As the squad for SCG was already named weeks ago (what a joke), the 1st test against SL is at the Gabba on 24 Jan and there will be no FC cricket before then (disgusting).

I guess that means BBL form is all they can go on so here's a shout out for the current leading run scorers Short, Wade and Silk ;)

stephen

As the squad for SCG was already named weeks ago (what a joke), the 1st test against SL is at the Gabba on 24 Jan and there will be no FC cricket before then (disgusting).

I guess that means BBL form is all they can go on so here's a shout out for the current leading run scorers Short, Wade and Silk ;)
Honestly Wade could not be doing anything more to get a recall as a batsman. He's made a lot of runs in all forms.

mr_mister

Just a pity he averaged 28 from 22 tests

That's the kind of thing people actually deserve to be blacklisted over

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly don't think Wade is the solution at all for Tests, been there done that. Don't think merely removing the keeping gloves will make him any better than his last test stint

aussie tragic

International Captain
Honestly Wade could not be doing anything more to get a recall as a batsman. He's made a lot of runs in all forms.
Actually the ODI series vs India will likely give us selection hints for SL Tests. If Wade is chosen as a bat then he has a good chance. Will also be Maxwells final chance to impress