• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To steal that old phase would be like rearranging the chairs on the Titanic wouldn’t it? I mean change for changes sake innit?
Finch is bad enough as an opener that I think it's fair enough to say there would be several better.

Maxwell on paper should easily walk into the team.

Bringing in Stoinis for Marsh or even dropping Shaun feels like shuffling deck chairs though, yeah. Hate the idea of change for the sake of change, even though there has to be better alternatives.

aussie tragic

International Captain
To steal that old phase would be like rearranging the chairs on the Titanic wouldn’t it? I mean change for changes sake innit?
Nah, Finch should never have been selected as an opener in Aus and Burns has runs in shield. Stoinis is a better allrounder than Mmarsh and Maxwell couldn't do any worse than Smarsh and he bowls

morgieb

From a team perspective, the Bangladesh tour really shouldn't have been cancelled. Would've been perfect for a weak batting lineup to get some confidence and work out who is good and who isn't.

morgieb

The way people talk about Stoinis it makes it seem like he averages 40+ at Shield level and around 30-35 with the ball. Not the case at all, I don't see much proof he would be a significantly better all-rounder than Marsh.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Without Smith and Warner available I'd not drop Shaun Marsh. IMO he's still one of the top six available batsmen in the country.

Burns
Harris
Khawaja
S Marsh
Finch
Head
Paine

Would be my top 7. Move Finch to the middle order and bring in Burns. The big problem is that this top order isn't far from our best that we can field. The cupboard is bare when you ban our only two world class players.

stephen

Did Burns get injured or just lose form after the Johannesburg test?
He got inexplicably dropped for no reason.

The problem is that he was picked because the selectors had to quickly go with their gut. When they had time to think they started to apply their theories and listen to Langer and dropped him for no reason.

morgieb

Did Burns get injured or just lose form after the Johannesburg test?
Think it was more of a case of the new Australian selection committee not really rating him.

I don't think all that highly of him either, but he has at least scored runs at Tests before, and knows how to build an innings - something with Finch, Head and Harris seems to lack (funnily enough Mitch Marsh can build innings, he just can't seem to make starts)

TheJediBrah

The way people talk about Stoinis it makes it seem like he averages 40+ at Shield level and around 30-35 with the ball. Not the case at all, I don't see much proof he would be a significantly better all-rounder than Marsh.
He's been doing that recently though. Someone posted about him averaging 40 with the bat and 20 something with the ball this season supposedly.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
**** it ****s me that all of the Test possibilities aren't playing red ball cricket at the moment. #Bertmentum for 6 in Sydney imo.

morgieb

He's been doing that recently though. Someone posted about him averaging 40 with the bat and 20 something with the ball this season supposedly.
If we're picking cricketers off half a season Doolan should've been opening the batting with Harris.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Tbf, Stoinis does average 43 with the bat and 25 with the ball this shield season ;)

stephen

Yeah I'm not a fan of Stoinis for the test side. He's mediocre at first class cricket and is just have a purple patch (which isn't even that purple).

vcs

These two are very obdurate and have excellent defensive technique. Need to nip them out quickly or they'll put up 150 or so.

I'm happy we've finally had some luck with the toss and the advantage of conditions in this series after England, we've more than deserved it. If there was any justice in the world, England would lose the next 10 tosses in a row against us.

stephen

We would seriously upgrade this batting lineup by picking Ellyse Perry and it would solve our all rounder problem as well.