• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wouldn't drop both openers unless India were willing to fly someone else over, which would be pretty amusing after just two Tests with no (relevant) injuries and a big initial squad with three openers in it. I don't think Rohit and Vihari are so demanding of a place that you'd be willing to move players out of position to get them both in the side, even if it was Rohit himself.

Which opener to drop is a question with a less easy answer, but I don't think dropping both should or will be on the cards.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't drop both openers unless India were willing to fly someone else over, which would be pretty amusing after just two Tests with no (relevant) injuries and a big initial squad with three openers in it. I don't think Rohit and Vihari are so demanding of a place that you'd be willing to move players out of position to get them both in the side, even if it was Rohit himself.

Which opener to drop is a question with a less easy answer, but I don't think dropping both should or will be on the cards.
They're both so terrible though. I wouldn't be against throwing Shaw and Mayank Agarwal to the wolves and see what happens. Or even throw Pant up there for an innings. They're contributing nothing and constantly exposing Pujara and Kohli early.

Burgey

Really though, do you think a 17 year old midget would have ridden the bounce here? Come on. It’s a tough as guts deck to open on

aussie tragic

International Captain
Fmd, ch7 now stating Starc is bowling well due to being fired up by Warne ...maybe it's just cause he needed more bowling to get going (after being rested for shield games)

Burgey

No, why would I? He's the only bloke who can do it for you. If you asked me whether I'd go without food if your number six wins it for you I'd say yes.

Kohli should not be playing a drive this entire innings tbh. Haze has got this wrong.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Why? How can you do worse? My fear is if the next pitch is flat like many expect, one or both may get some runs in a snoozefest draw and buy themselves a place for even longer. Which doesn't serve Indian cricket.

Burgey

Great to see Peter using his hands to do 80s-style Metal Horns at short leg instead of using them to comb.

Or score runs.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Really though, do you think a 17 year old midget would have ridden the bounce here? Come on. It’s a tough as guts deck to open on
Nah, but I'd have liked to see it. I'll take a teenager failing over this ****e. It's a miracle Kohli has gotten so many runs this year what with him never walking in with a decent platform.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fly him in. Is that allowed. Idk, I saw Gavaskar suggesting it in the post game show yesterday.
Yeah it's allowed, I just don't think it's really something that will be considered at all.

If an outside player is what you're advocating I think it's fine, but I think the other suggestions are a bit desperate and knee-jerky, and I suppose more importantly not likely to increase India's chances of making more runs.

It'd be different if you had a list of middle order batsmen well suited to the conditions who'd likely add something to the side on the bench - you'd shoehorn someone in to open to get the best bats in - but you've already got Rohit and Vihari fighting over a place and I don't think they're more likely to make a score than Rahul or Vijay even where they are, let alone batting out of position, or worse still forcing someone else out of position just so they can both play.