• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah I think Ponting would actually be brilliant as coach. When you look at middle order options atm, I can see why he'd want to recall him. I'd go with someone else, even Stoinis ahead of him, but given the lack of realistic alternatives, MMarsh belongs in the argument for sure.

Meanwhile, Mark Waugh makes a rare decent point re Harris involuntarily poking his tongue out when he got hit. Not a fan of people who do that tbh. They don't belong in elite sport.

Daemon

Khawaja's been ridiculously lucky. Could have easily been out like 20 times already. Only 10 runs in front of square atm.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah I think Ponting would actually be brilliant as coach. When you look at middle order options atm, I can see why he'd want to recall him. I'd go with someone else, even Stoinis ahead of him, but given the lack of realistic alternatives, MMarsh belongs in the argument for sure.

Meanwhile, Mark Waugh makes a rare decent point re Harris involuntarily poking his tongue out when he got hit. Not a fan of people who do that tbh. They don't belong in elite sport.
Ponting was my personal preference for coach after Lehmann went. His knowledge of the game - but also his knowledge of what constitutes smart cricket - is second to none IMO.

Burgey

Bumrah has still been just a fraction short imho. Good bowling still. I suppose at 180 odd behind it's not as easy to commit to risk being driven, but the wicket taking balls are a bit further up than what he's hitting atm for the most part. No one's edging something short of or just on a good length on this thing when it jags as much as it is.

Burgey

As has been alluded to earlier, I also think it's great that even CW seems to have largely got over Sydney 08 after ten long years, but Symonds and that racist cad are still at it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bumrah has still been just a fraction short imho. Good bowling still. I suppose at 180 odd behind it's not as easy to commit to risk being driven, but the wicket taking balls are a bit further up than what he's hitting atm for the most part. No one's edging something short of or just on a good length on this thing when it jags as much as it is.
That graphic of the Australian boundaries being almost all behind square is illuminating IMO. No doubt it's very unpleasant bowling to face, but 4/140 isn't a bad score and India might have been better off being driven a few times to get a few more nicks.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That graphic of the Australian boundaries being almost all behind square is illuminating IMO. No doubt it's very unpleasant bowling to face, but 4/140 isn't a bad score and India might have been better off being driven a few times to get a few more nicks.
The graphic showing so few balls from Ishant hitting the stumps in his first couple of spells was illuminating as well, for the same reason, especially given how much of that bowling was to Finch and Handscomb.

Burgey

The graphic showing so few balls from Ishant hitting the stumps in his first couple of spells was illuminating as well, for the same reason, especially given how much of that bowling was to Finch and Handscomb.
Yeah, he's dynamite to the lefties though, with the one which angles in then decks away from around the wicket. You always knew he'd nail Handscomb once he got one full too, though I didn't expect it first ball of that particular spell. I'd definitely be picking a right hander if possible to replace Handscomb if he goes next test, same with Darsh (won't happen) and Finch (now unlikely given he's ok to bat).

Thinking about who should replace Handscomb, and he surely has to go, who would India least like Australia to pick? It would be Maxwell wouldn't it? Bloke can seriously do damage down the order, plays spin decently assuming Ashwin plays and can bowl a few decent overs with it.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Would have liked to see more out of Maxwell in the Shield, but then again I could say exactly the same about 90% of our batsman these days

Burgey

It's good old fashioned grinding batting too.

Except for that. God, Khawaja has looked rancid this dig. Kudos to him for hanging in, and he's played forward with soft hands so edges haven't carried, but he's looked like the ball needs a rattle in it. If he can grind out a 70 odd here though, it'll be bloody valuable. Already has been I guess. Will probably be better for the run come Melbourne too.

Burgey

This dropping and running is so good from these two now. Probably because the ball has got a bit older.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Ponting was my personal preference for coach after Lehmann went. His knowledge of the game - but also his knowledge of what constitutes smart cricket - is second to none IMO.
Yeah, why not throw a fourth Ashes loss onto his resume.

Mr Cricket has all the characteristics you ask for, but doesn't rely on his gut or invoke greyhound racing analogies into cricket leadership.

Last edited: