• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Starc has been a big disappointment of late as I don't think he's improved with the red ball for a couple of years

If not for the fact that he's a very rare commodity (tall, quick AND left armer), he probably wouldn't have played half the number of tests

He's our fast version of a leggie post Warnie

Fit Patto (like that will ever happen!) is way better and I have no doubt that a few others could do a similar job if given the opportunity
Yeah, I maintain that our best attack, if all are fully fit, is Pattinson-Hazlewood-Cummins-Lyon, with Starc the fill-in.

Still a serious bowler, obvs, but his reputation is strongly boosted by what he is, not what he does.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
our best attack is copeland/bird/sayers actually

the spinner is lyon due to somerville being ineligible now

Flem274*

123/5
thing is having a left armer is useful, so while he's not great you'd be tempted to play him like you would always play a spinner even if they're ho-hum

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Burgey

You could see the value of a left armer in the rough he created for Lyon. But if he’s not getting wickets then you can’t carry him for that reason.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Hated (but respected) that over he defended from Hadlee (especially as Danny Morrison had had McDermott plumb the previous over).

Who Dares Wins was quality though

cnerd123

likes this
Awesome victory. Never seen an Indian bowling attack look so complete and consistent away from Asia. Che Pu is an absolute hero and it's very pleasing that Rahul and Rahane found ways to score vital 3rd innings runs. This might just be a case of all the stars aligning correctly, but hopefully it isn't, and when Kohli does eventually fire we're going to be a very hard side for Australia to beat.

Commiserations to Australia. They were extremely unlucky. A lots of little things that, had they gone their way, could have seen them win this Test. Can't do much about the hopeless top order, but Lyon-Cummins-Hazelwood are absolutely incredible and could very will win them a game on their own. With bat and ball. Starc bowled mostly rubbish but the fact that he can still escape with reasonable figures is a blessing IMO. Like, it happens so often, it's almost like a feature of his bowling. Something is working well with him and he deserves to retain his spot in the attack. Also created footmarks to make Lyon more dangerous and scored runs, which is vital given this Aussie batting.

Great start to the series. Such a wonderful few months for touring sides - Zim winning in BD, Eng in SL, NZ in Pak and now India taking a test off Aus here. I expect the Aus batting to rebound strongly next game, and us to not have as much luck go our way. Hopefully the guys put on another immense team performance tho. History is beckoning.

social

The Whit!!!

Sure they were dead rubbers, but so what? Loved his work
Played with him for many years

One week, I am captain (club obviously desperate) and is hobbling in but still off the long run

After a few overs, I went up to him and he basically told me to **** off

Bowled about 30 overs at Manly's 2nd oval (another Howell?) in really hot weather

Had blood drenched knee & foot strapping after an arthroscopy during the week

We were all "wtf" but to him it was a fitness test for the following week's shield game

Arachnodouche

International Captain
High time Cummins is given the new ball. I'm constantly surprised he doesn't come away with better figures. Off the bat, I don't think he has the Flintoff-Gillespie syndrome; he bowls consistently probing lines on goodish lengths. Maybe opening with a shiny ball will get him where he deserves to be.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
our best attack is copeland/bird/sayers actually

the spinner is lyon due to somerville being ineligible now
I kinda hope NZ throw out their plans next year and bring Somerville back as Test spinner purely on the basis that he's taken poles for NSW.

Burgey

Played with him for many years

One week, I am captain (club obviously desperate) and is hobbling in but still off the long run

After a few overs, I went up to him and he basically told me to **** off

Bowled about 30 overs at Manly's 2nd oval (another Howell?) in really hot weather

Had blood drenched knee & foot strapping after an arthroscopy during the week

We were all "wtf" but to him it was a fitness test for the following week's shield game
Sounds like him tbh. These days he'd have been out nine moths while nursed back from injury.

He had a **** load of knee problems in the mid-80s before coming back a bit slower but a lot better in the late 80s, didn't he?

Fmd the game has changed. He was plying League cricket in England in 81 and got a call up to play in an Ashes test after a few blokes got injured. Ridiculous.

Starfighter

High time Cummins is given the new ball. I'm constantly surprised he doesn't come away with better figures. Off the bat, I don't think he has the Flintoff-Gillespie syndrome; he bowls consistently probing lines on goodish lengths. Maybe opening with a shiny ball will get him where he deserves to be.
Only problem I have with Cummins atm is that he seems to have become a straight-seam only bowler, possibly because he never does get the new ball. Used to have a real good out swinger several injuries ago and could sometimes bring it back in too.

cnerd123

likes this
Can Pujara now lay claim to have achieved more outside of Asia than Ashwin?
Quite easily.

Great test for Ashwin tho. I think he could have bowled better in the 4th innings, but perhaps it was the plan all along to have him just hold up an end while the seamers attack. Would explain the change in approach to how he bowled in the first innings. Overall an improvement on his past overseas performances.

He contributed a nice innings with the bat as well, but Che Pu is just so immense. Best batting performance by and Indian in Australia since Dravid, as many have said.

Does Rohit keep his spot for the next Test, or does India turn to Vihari? A useful 30 odd in the first innings I suppose. Good fielder too. Vihari's bowling might be more useful, but it's not a guarantee that he'd actually score runs

I wonder why we've never given Jadhav a run in Tests.