• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Australia has the bowlers to run through India again, but I’ve no confidence our batsmen will make enough runs for it to matter. If Perth is bouncy with little sideways it’ll help our blokes a fair bit I suppose. Looking forward to seeing the new stadium’s first test. Hope it’s not a soulless shell like the Gabba, which is qld’s Spotless Stadium in Australia’s Chennai.

OverratedSanity

Ashwin apparently bowled the most overs ever by an Indian bowler in the 4th innings of the test. Great effort by him. Never really lost his lines, although like in England he keeps throwing up weird non-threatening half volleys/Yorkers from time to time. Nice to see him bowl a marathon spell and keeping it simple and tight for the entire duration, it's something hes got criticism (valid imo) for failing to do in the past. Him bowling non stop from one end giving nothing away allowed the quicks to remain fresh, which was really vital since we didn't have a fifth bowler.

Last edited:

Burgey

How many did he bowl? Surely someone has bowled more overs in an inninngs than that for India over the years

OverratedSanity

How many did he bowl? Surely someone has bowled more overs in an inninngs than that for India over the years
53 of the 120 overs. Basically one long spell.

Most ever by an Indian in the 4th according to Cricinfo. Pretty surprising statistic. Would've thought some of kumble's marathons might've been longer.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I think Australia has the bowlers to run through India again, but I’ve no confidence our batsmen will make enough runs for it to matter. If Perth is bouncy with little sideways it’ll help our blokes a fair bit I suppose. Looking forward to seeing the new stadium’s first test. Hope it’s not a soulless shell like the Gabba, which is qld’s Spotless Stadium in Australia’s Chennai.
The quality is the issue, but it seemed the main problem with the Oz bats this match was the self-belief. They probably just needed one century partnership in either innings and as fine as this Indian bowling lineup, that should've been viable. They're not only missing the runs that Warner/Smith provided but the self-belief they brought to the rest of the side.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Just on Mitch Starc, I heard one of the commentators talk up his ability to rip through batting lineups with the new ball... but has he ever been that good a new ball Test bowler? With the exception of the 2016 Sri Lanka tour, his most damaging spells have usually been when he's gotten to reverse the old ball (and often from around the wicket).

It just seems that people remember how destructive he's been as a ODI new ball bowler and just assume he's as good as with the Test new ball but I think that's a fair way off the mark. Might be worth considering giving Cummins the new ball in the near future.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just on Mitch Starc, I heard one of the commentators talk up his ability to rip through batting lineups with the new ball... but has he ever been that good a new ball Test bowler? With the exception of the 2016 Sri Lanka tour, his most damaging spells have usually been when he's gotten to reverse the old ball (and often from around the wicket).

It just seems that people remember how destructive he's been as a ODI new ball bowler and just assume he's as good as with the Test new ball but I think that's a fair way off the mark. Might be worth considering giving Cummins the new ball in the near future.
Not sure how true this has been recently but I think he's generally been better with the second new ball, or at least that's the reputation he had on here. He wastes the new ball with a monotonous regularity, too short or not accurate enough. I can't believe that someone experienced as he is struggles to strike a good length. Getting Alastair Cook out doesn't change this.

Burgey

I actually thought his first innings spell with the new ball here was one of the better ones I've seen him bowl. So I think he actually isnt all that great with it at test level, because the first innings here was sound rather than exceptional.

harsh.ag

And if not for Pujara they’d be on the slide already.
Yeah but Pujara is a known quantity unlike that ****ing kid coming out of nowhere to wreck India with the ball and the bat.

53 of the 120 overs. Basically one long spell.

Most ever by an Indian in the 4th according to Cricinfo. Pretty surprising statistic. Would've thought some of kumble's marathons might've been longer.
Not that surprising considering 4th innings Kumble marathons only happened in Asia and he didn't require 53 overs to clean 'em up there.

Top_Cat

Again it’s worth reiterating Pant’s gonna cost India a Test one day. His drop off Lyon was village, was only diving because he misjudged it so ****ing badly. Bloke oozes talent, especially with the bat, but he’s no Test keeper.

Last edited:

mr_mister

While it can't surpass the 1999/00 with Warne & McGrath, I think your underselling this attack a fair bit. In terms of variety and quality in Australian conditions, it's an excellent bowling lineup.

And it's easy to forget that most of the previous home Australian bowling attacks v India in the past had one or two weak spots.

1991/92 had Peter Taylor for a couple of Tests and Mike Whitney for three (albeit he had one outstanding match in Perth).

1999/00 had Kasprowicz for one Test and while Damien Fleming was a fine bowler, would he get a spot ahead of any of the current Oz pace trio?

2003/04 was Oz's weakest since the mid-80s with McGrath & Warne absent (and Gillespie and Lee didn't play the whole series). Nathan Bracken, Andy Bichel and Brad Williams all played one Test or more.

2007/08 was a very strong bowling lineup but had one weak spot in Brad Hogg for three Tests and Shaun Tait for one (both of whom never replicated their shorter format successes at Test level).

2011/12 doesn't look that imposing on paper with Siddle & Hilfenhaus playing all Tests in the series which makes Australia's success that series against a star-studded (but aging) Indian batting lineup all the more remarkable.

2014/15 is very strong with Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris, Starc, Hazlewood along with Lyon all playing multiple Tests. The only fallback was that most of them were just starting their career or coming towards the end.

So overall, only the 1999/00 is clearly superior to this one with the 2007/08 & 2014/15 lineups probably around the same level.
Flem that summer was outbowled everyone

Flem274*

123/5
this looks like it was an absolute thriller. nice engine room performance from the australian tail there to give india a fright

social

Starc has been a big disappointment of late as I don't think he's improved with the red ball for a couple of years

If not for the fact that he's a very rare commodity (tall, quick AND left armer), he probably wouldn't have played half the number of tests

He's our fast version of a leggie post Warnie

Fit Patto (like that will ever happen!) is way better and I have no doubt that a few others could do a similar job if given the opportunity

TheJediBrah

Starc's very lucky to have a guaranteed place in the team