• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Victor Ian

International Coach
If we roll the final 7 wickets for less than 75 runs then sure we have a chance

But thats pretty unlikely
Yeah. We need an all time great bowling performance tomorrow to keep in this.
Otherwise we are pinning our hopes on one batsman to get us over the line before the rest get out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pujara is a legend. He'll maybe get a pitch or two that suits him, per series away from Asia, but he'll make damn sure he capitalizes on it.
He’s Motm easily of India wins

He’s been the difference. Quality player

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This is easily India's game now, at least 80-20 in favor of India. Those who are saying otherwise are just gambhiring. 166 is already a huge lead in this pitch and all runs scored tomorrow are just going to be bonus. May be I am underrating the Australian lineup but I will back India's bowlers to defend 200.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely not underrating. It's our worse top 7 since the Greg Ritchie days

Handscombe is low key useless

Harris is meh even Langer said so once upon a time

Finch is no red ball opener

Smarsh is averaging like 6 from his last 7 digs

Paines average heavily, heavily flatters him. If he plays ten more tests I can see it dropping below 30

Khawaja and Head are both good. Head's FC record is poor but I still rate him and he hit a nice 70. Khawaja is surely not mentally 100% atm. How could he be his brother could be looking at ten years in jail in this high profile case

But yeah 1 promising but raw test batsman in Head and 1 good test batsman in Uzi who's thoughts are likely elsewhere is not much firepower

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
This is easily India's game now, at least 80-20 in favor of India. Those who are saying otherwise are just gambhiring. 166 is already a huge lead in this pitch and all runs scored tomorrow are just going to be bonus. May be I am underrating the Australian lineup but I will back India's bowlers to defend 200.
Assuming my StatsGuru-ing is correct, only three times in the entire history of Test Cricket has India successfully defended a score of 300 or less overseas. And only one time have we ever successfully defended a score under 200.

Then again, that one time did come against Australia at Melbourne in 1981. So maybe there is reason to hope after all.

Allan Border with another century in a loss in that game - and scored 9 during a chase of 143, Australia bowled out for 83 in the end. lmao what a failure.

Last edited:

mr_mister

What we'd give for one player of Borders calibre ATM. We've nearly always had one over the years even in our darkest times. Not now though

flibbertyjibber

Paines average heavily, heavily flatters him. If he plays ten more tests I can see it dropping below 30

Khawaja and Head are both good. Head's FC record is poor but I still rate him and he hit a nice 70. Khawaja is surely not mentally 100% atm. How could he be his brother could be looking at ten years in jail in this high profile case

But yeah 1 promising but raw test batsman in Head and 1 good test batsman in Uzi who's thoughts are likely elsewhere is not much firepower
yet you still leave the Yorkie out.

Starfighter

Assuming my StatsGuru-ing is correct, only four times in the entire history of Test Cricket has India successfully defended a score of 300 or less overseas. And only one time have we ever successfully defended a score under 200.

Then again, that one time did come against Australia at Melbourne in 1981. So maybe there is reason to hope after all.

Allan Border with another century in a loss in that game - and scored 9 during a chase of 143, Australia bowled out for 83 in the end. lmao what a failure.
You're firstly saying that India's last seven wickets are going to go down for about 30 tomorrow, very unlikely considering the first innings progression, and secondly of those four sub-300 hundred defences, of which I can see there are three in that list, all were against batting lineups inarguably better than this Australian one.

cnerd123

likes this
That was in response to Cricaddict saying he'd be confident of defending 200. Literally has only happened one time before.

I reckon we can get to 250, but even that's a tricky defence. We've only ever defended a sub 300 score 3 times in the history of cricket. To be fair, only 3 times has a side successfully chased down 200+ against us to win away from home too:

ESPNcricinfo Statsguru - India - Test matches - Team analysis

In 1977 Australia chased down 342 in Perth. Kinda cancels out the good omen us defending 143 in 1981 was heh.

Anyways enough battle of the pessimism. It's such a well poised game.

morgieb

In comparison:

Keep in mind that that list doesn't even include Hayden, Law, Love, di Venuto, Cox and Maher (and possibly others I'm forgetting).

All of those guys would probably be our best batsman at this point.

Starfighter

That was in response to Cricaddict saying he'd be confident of defending 200. Literally has only happened one time before.

I reckon we can get to 250, but even that's a tricky defence. We've only ever defended a sub 300 score 3 times in the history of cricket. To be fair, only 3 times has a side successfully chased down 200+ against us to win away from home too:

ESPNcricinfo Statsguru - India - Test matches - Team analysis

In 1977 Australia chased down 342 in Perth. Kinda cancels out the good omen us defending 143 in 1981 was heh.

Anyways enough battle of the pessimism. It's such a well poised game.
Why are you bringing up a match where a nightwatchman scored a century (a freak occurrence), that on a flat deck with much bigger first innings scores? You're basically saying it'll take something unusual to happen for India to lose, and India aren't toting a ridiculously unbalanced attack this time. It's 'well poised' at 70 - 30 to India at best for Australia. It will take a near-exceptional performance for this Australian batting side.

Starfighter

To be fair, only 3 times has a side successfully chased down 200+ against us to win away from home too
Funny how silly your argument looks now. In other news defending small totals and chasing large ones is uncommon.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes *****. I agree history doesn't favor us much. But this is India 's all time best bowling line up vs Australia's all time worst batting line up. Pitch is favoring bowlers too. So I am taking all that into account when I say India can defend 200.

cnerd123

likes this
Yes *****. I agree history doesn't favor us much. But this is India 's all time best bowling line up vs Australia's all time worst batting line up. Pitch is favoring bowlers too. So I am taking all that into account when I say India can defend 200.
you're an optimistic man

Funny how silly your argument looks now. In other news defending small totals and chasing large ones is uncommon.
my entire argument is that Border is a hack who couldn't even guide his side home in a simple runchase vs a minnow that almost never wins overseas. Beta AF.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
To be favourites in this game. India need to score another 125 runs or so. And then hope that Ashwin does not relapse into his ATVG mode.

Spark

Global Moderator
If we roll the final 7 wickets for less than 75 runs then sure we have a chance

But thats pretty unlikely
eh it's not *that* unlikely imo, the indian lower order looks pretty soft. starc has just been well below his best which is what usually would allow us to run through a tail like we'd need to