• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

cnerd123

likes this
i think with all the intangibles taken into account i'd take dhoni over karthik still

like if your batting lineup with dhawan, rohit, rahul, kohli, etc, can't get it done, you can't put it just on dhoni
Can't blame MSD solely for the loss, but we have better alternatives waiting in the wings.

I don't think the whole package of MSD fits the team's requirements better than Karthik or Pant. If we had solid options at 5/6/7 and our top 4 was fragile and needed an anchor, then sure. But we need a finisher and MSD can't do that anymore

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He's dead weight at this point and should be let go. India have plenty of 'keeper bats that are adequate behind the stumps and far superior in front right now. The problem is that some are now crapping all over his career but there's no question about him being well-past his prime.
There are both types. There is the Dhoni worshippers and then the Dhoni bashers.

India missed a trick by not playing Karthik or Pant right now. I hope we are able to determine who the best alternate is as we don't want a situation like Yuvraj in T20 world cup final. Earlier we do it, the better it is as the world cup isn't too far away now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So your defence of Dhoni is that it's okay that he needs a colostomy bag just to bat, that people should be okay watching old people on their tv screens doing silly things.
You're reading it wrong I think. He's disgusted with people saying he should stay in the side, offering his opinion on why he thinks he sucks now isn't just in a rough patch of form or whatever.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are both types. There is the Dhoni worshippers and then the Dhoni bashers.

India missed a trick by not playing Karthik or Pant right now. I hope we are able to determine who the best alternate is as we don't want a situation like Yuvraj in T20 world cup final. Earlier we do it, the better it is as the world cup isn't too far away now.
Yeah, I agree with you. Give Pant a run already.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Give Pant a run or old man Dhoni might give his pants the runs

that wasn't even funny why did I post it
Pant isn't the only option. Nor is Karthik.

There is still the option of playing Rahul.

And then there's the small matter of Jedhav returning;

plus Krunal Pandya could seriously strengthen up the middle order.

1 Sharma
2 Dhawan
3 Kohli
4 Rahul +
5 Raina 7/Rayudu/ Pant+/ DK+
6 Jadhav 6
7 Krunal / Hardik 5
8 Hardik /Yadav / Chahal 3
9 BK 2
10 Bumrah 1
11 Kuldeep 4

India has lots of interesting options.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rahul's keeping sucks IMO. It's handy in that with WC squads limited to 15, India probably don't need to pick an extra keeper for that as he could do it in an emergency, but it doesn't really have much utility internationally beyond that.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rahul's keeping sucks IMO. It's handy in that with WC squads limited to 15, India probably don't need to pick an extra keeper for that as he could do it in an emergency, but it doesn't really have much utility internationally beyond that.
Truly takes after his dad in all aspects.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No idea if DK will work in England even in LOs. May have technical flaws. Like Dhawan, for example.

Even more important it was to have played him in this series.

Eh.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
No idea if DK will work in England even in LOs. May have technical flaws. Like Dhawan, for example.

Even more important it was to have played him in this series.

Eh.
They don't make seaming wickets for limited over games anymore. That's why Dhawan has done very well in England too.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I still say I'd replace more than Dhoni. Krunal Pandya would add a lot more starch to the middle order and deepen the batting order. Sure that means Chahal misses out, but what is needed more for India?If the chases stop at 6 wickets down, that's tough chasing.

India still looking at middle-order options for World Cup, says Sanjay Bangar - ESPNcricinfo

We all know that Dhawan, Rohit and Kohli are regular match winners, but I think India should be looking a tad deeper than they are when they have the talent available. Strange there is no mention of Jadhav by Bangar for the Raina spot, who has been pretty damn good for India when fit.

Bangar said that India were not sweating because they had enough options to work out a World Cup middle order. Ambati Rayudu, Manish Pandey and Ajinkya Rahane could all still be viable options if the current occupants did not make an impact. Rayudu failed the yo-yo fitness test and Raina was called up as his replacement. Pandey and Rahane have been tried at different times in the past, but left behind more questions than positive impressions.

Bangar also defended Dhoni and said that there was nothing else India's most senior and experienced batsman could have done. "When the team loses four wickets, the lower order - at least with the combination we are playing at the moment - we do not really have the depth at Nos. 8, 9, 10 wherein the batsman at Nos. 6 or 7 could play with that sort of a freedom. It was purely because of that that we kept on losing the wickets and the set batsmen could not really exploit [the situation].

"He [Dhoni] was just hoping that somebody would stick with him. There was a chance when he and Suresh were batting together, we were just hoping they could bat through till the 40th over and they could take the bowlers on. But every time he looked to do that he first lost Raina and then he lost Hardik so there wasn't too much batting to follow for him to play in the usual fashion that he does."
Pandey is a very slow starter, so is Rahane, and Rayudu needs to get fit.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
If you really think 88.27 is a low strike rate over 320 games then you’re deluded.
88 I expect of an anchor man, even then it’s not ideal. From a hitter/finisher 100 minimum is expected from Dhoni over that career in the roles he’s played. Someone as hyped as Dhoni over the years you’d think his career SR was 120 minimum.

Anyway, I won’t be replying to you again (or reading another post from you ever again) as you are now blocked. Everything you say is inflammatory. India have an anchor in Kohli striking faster than their finisher/hitter. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out Dhoni isn’t good enough and hasn’t been for a decade statistically. His t20 SR is miserly too, showing his struggles as a hitter once more. Goodbye angry Marc.

Jack1

International Debutant
I think regarding the Dhoni debate as an outsider India would be stronger without him. They have several great options over him.

I’d certainly worry more about India in the next game if they dropped Dhoni. Not just on the like for like change either. I think he reduces the authority of Kohli by changing too much in the field and trying to dominate the teams tactics with the bat too (he scores and starts too slowly we know that. But the field setting thing gets a bit too much too from an opposing point of view). He’s not the captain, Kohli is. The opponent loves it when the opposing captain is getting his authority questioned by one on his own side. Whether it’s agreed or not with Kohli and Dhoni is irrelevant. It makes Kohli’s captaincy look schoolboyish at times when the older past-it keeper is setting the field for him.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
88 I expect of an anchor man, even then it’s not ideal. From a hitter/finisher 100 minimum is expected from Dhoni over that career in the roles he’s played. Someone as hyped as Dhoni over the years you’d think his career SR was 120 minimum.

Anyway, I won’t be replying to you again (or reading another post from you ever again) as you are now blocked. Everything you say is inflammatory. India have an anchor in Kohli striking faster than their finisher/hitter. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out Dhoni isn’t good enough and hasn’t been for a decade statistically. His t20 SR is miserly too, showing his struggles as a hitter once more. Goodbye angry Marc.
:laugh: