• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Jack1

International Debutant
I don't care if this is rude but this is just next level stupid.
You've exposed yourself to be honest. If you are going to be rude, then at least debate why your opinion differs. You've got nearly 28,000 posts and debate like a child.

Dhoni's strike rate is not good enough. 88 SR and 127 SR is hopeless for a hitter. For an average player it's ok at best. Many consider him to be an ODI great, his stats are anything but that.

I'll block you now as you can't debate like an adult.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Partially. He was ok for some years. I just consider him to have been over-rated and quite average due to his strike rate. He's not bad obviously.
400 scores weren't a thing until this year. Dhoni's strike rate is lowered by the fact he makes sure he sticks around till the end. IIRC it's higher in the first innings.

OverratedSanity

400 scores weren't a thing until this year. Dhoni's strike rate is lowered by the fact he makes sure he sticks around till the end. IIRC it's higher in the first innings.
His SR is 95 in the first innings. Apparently this is mediocre. Unfathomably dumb.

Second innings strike rates are completely meaningless as long as you win the game, which Dhoni usually ensured, until 2014 or so.

Last edited:

trundler

His SR is 95 in the first innings. Apparently this is mediocre. Unfathomably dumb.

Second innings strike rates are completely meaningless as long as you win the game, which Dhoni usually ensured, until 14 or so.
Exactly. I think John is massively misunderstanding his role. Dhoni perfected the Bevan role

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Second innings strike rates are completely meaningless as long as you win the game, which Dhoni usually ensured, until 14 or so.
Haha I was only thinking the other day that I suspect one day people will argue about Dhoni after he retires they do about Bevan now due to this same sort of statistics and what they meant in context, but apparently we don't actually have to wait for him to retire.

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
He played nearly half his ODIs before 2010, and by those standards an SR of 88 is anything but 'measly'. And yea his SR has dropped of late (~ 85 last couple years, which is poor). He's definitely an ODI ATG in my book because for the better part of his career he paced the innings very well and knew just when to hit big and when to play those steady knocks to take India home. His SR isn't as good as Sehwag or Afridi for the same reason. To say that his stats warrant him only an 'average' status is not something I would agree to, considering he has consistently averaged more than fifty (one of about 3-4 players to do so) at a SR which was pretty impressive for the most part of his career.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
He played nearly half his ODIs before 2010, and by those standards an SR of 88 is anything but 'measly'. And yea his SR has dropped of late (~ 85 last couple years, which is poor). He's definitely an ODI ATG in my book because for the better part of his career he paced the innings very well and knew just when to hit big and when to play those steady knocks to take India home. His SR isn't as good as Sehwag or Afridi for the same reason. To say that his stats warrant him only an 'average' status is not something I would agree to, considering he has consistently averaged more than fifty (one of about 3-4 players to do so) at a SR which was pretty impressive for the most part of his career.
I dun know about that. VK to me is a true chasing freak (he just keeps finding 2's from good balls). Dhoni, less so.

VK to me is already the greatest #3 to have played odi cricket.

When chasing - he knows how to pace perfectly.

VK, ABDV and Viv are the 3 best ODI batsmen in the middle for me. Bar none.

I'd take Buttler over Dhoni.

Last edited:

trundler

I dun know about that. VK to me is a true chasing freak (he just keeps finding 2's from good balls). Dhoni, less so.

When chasing - he knows how to pace perfectly.

VK, ABDV and Viv are the 3 best ODI batsmen in the middle for me. Bar none.

What if in 5 years 450 becomes the norm and Buttler's SR becomes just okay in hindsight

Mr Miyagi

Banned
What if in 5 years 450 becomes the norm and Buttler's SR becomes just okay in hindsight
If 450 becomes the morm in 5 years, I expect Jos to be part of the force increasing the norm, tbh.

I don't think its going to be T Paine. Or Dhoni. Or Sarfaraz. I'd be stoked if it was Latham, but doubtful.

But you're right, I do value SR - but I don't make a secret of it. I think it is legitimate.

Last edited:

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
I dun know about that. VK to me is a true chasing freak. Dhoni, less so.

Fair enough.

Virat is definitely a chasing freak as you put it and Dhoni as of last decade or so has done little to come close. But to come in at 5-6, have that kind of average with a fairly impressive SR (ignoring post-2014 Dhoni) and win so many games as and in the way he did is definitely not something you could write off as 'average'.