• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, he has copped it on twitter and I agree with you lads.

Supposedly a CricViz statistician but where would one attain such stats ? They would need to know someone from hawkeye or does cricinfo do that these days ?
Cricinfo used to have a hawkeye display, I dunno where they got the data from, but it's been gone a number of years now generally, and I can't see any way of extracting reliable data out of it. You'd have to get the data from the broadcasters and system operators from five different countries, which seems unlikely.

Son Of Coco

I'm just trying to think a legit reason for walking out onto a cricket field with a pocket full of sugar.......
Not sure if true, but I read it was actually chewing gum and the players had been asked to spoon loose items they intended to eat out of the bowls instead of using their hands due to a virus going around (Cummins was sick at one stage if I remember correctly). I don't know if that matches the timeline of anyone actually being ill though.

Spark

Global Moderator
what word were you trying to say that got filtered
a large kicking based sport.

actually i remember now why it's filtered. it's because people from there would google it and join the forum, and they were universally the most weapons-grade radioactively scummy morons imaginable.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Except that he has no reason to bear a grudge. On both occasions, BCCI bullied the respective cricket boards and ICC and nothing actually happened. In fact, one could argue the 2001 Dennes moment is when BCCI joined CA and ECB as the powers that run cricket. I have no idea what he's complaining about really.
Nothing happened. :blink: Do u even know all the facts. Please go and read about those incidents

Victor Ian

International Coach
Also to the people who are taking this super seriously and are calling for life bans and who seem to think it's some huge betrayal and are reacting like Smith just came in and kicked their dog, you make me feel a little better about myself because as much as I dislike the way things are currently running for me atm at least I know my head isn't so far up my arse as to treat a poorly executed attempt at cheating in sports as some kind of crime against humanity. I know that tend to lose perspective over this sort of thing, especially on the internet, but seriously? Just take a deep breath and carry on as normal.
You are missing out on a great chance to check for polyps.

Starfighter

To be fair, the people who are saying this also by and large don't post here.

I imagine somewhere like ******** or Whirlpool is a "fun" read right now. edit: wait that's filtered? lmao
I wasn't talking about here.

Although anyone calling for a year or even six-month ban is a nong imo considering precedent for similar actions in the past.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nehra gives credit to Smith for accepting his mistake. Haha.
That's the biggest difference between Smith/Aussies and the rest. They're complete dumbasses. The South Africans and Englishmen are clever about it. Wouldn't surprise me if the English are ball tampering geniuses because they're actually smart enough to do it subtly and intelligently.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah, I always knew this thread was going to be fun to read. Didn't disappoint either!

My opinion, I don't have a real problem with ball tampering. Let the players rub dirt on the ball if they want to. I think the Aust govt could have stayed out of the whole thing as well.

EggsOnToast

Cricket Spectator
Ah, I always knew this thread was going to be fun to read. Didn't disappoint either!

My opinion, I don't have a real problem with ball tampering. Let the players rub dirt on the ball if they want to. I think the Aust govt could have stayed out of the whole thing as well.
It was a slow news day, only devastating bush fires going on in NSW to talk about..

Borges

International Regular
> Wouldn't surprise me if the English are ball tampering geniuses because they're actually smart enough to do it subtly and intelligently.

All crooks start getting complacent and overconfident after several successful heists; that's when they get careless, drop their guards and get caught red handed.
Be certain that if the
English (or for that matter, any other team) have been at it consistently, they too will get caught at some point in time; and you won't feel oh so lonely any more.

91Jmay

International Coach
Governments getting involved in this kind of stuff is always Trumpian in nature. Deflect from real issues, act holier than tho. Any politician commenting should be regarded with suspicion.

Spark

Global Moderator
Governments getting involved in this kind of stuff is always Trumpian in nature. Deflect from real issues, act holier than tho. Any politician commenting should be regarded with suspicion.
So you can understand why my reaction has been to try and look for a more sober reaction when basically every politician in the country has felt the need to opine