• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

James

Cricket Web Owner
20th century: I definitely agree with whoever mentioned Martin Crowe's 100* against Australia in the opening game of the 1992 World Cup being up there as one of NZ's best. Not just for the winning of that game, but the effect that result then had on NZ for the rest of the tournament.
Snap!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What was the exact date of Ross Taylor's eye surgery? I want to compare his stats pre- and post-. There must be a huge huge difference in all forms of the game.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just noticed that since 2010 Taylor averages more than Williamson in ODIs and is only 0.05 behind in Tests. Is... Taylor our best batsman?

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Elliott's WC Semi Final innings is definitely in my top 10 NZ innings of all time. No question.

Ross today has definitely pipped Guptill's 180* for number one though for me.

Days of Grace

International Captain
20th century: I definitely agree with whoever mentioned Martin Crowe's 100* against Australia in the opening game of the 1992 World Cup being up there as one of NZ's best. Not just for the winning of that game, but the effect that result then had on NZ for the rest of the tournament.
Yes, I just calculated Crowe's innings and it makes no.10 in place of Taylor's knock in the 2011 w.c.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Great list!

Interestingly all from this century. I can't think of a truly great ODI knock from a New Zealand player from the 20th century apart from Chris Harris in 1996 or Stephen Fleming chasing against Australia in 1998.

I'd put Fleming's 134* and Elliott in there somewhere if I were making a personal list. Stephen Fleming played a few very good knocks chasing that I can recall.
Yeah, and interesting that Astle who for so many years was NZ's one certified century-maker and batting matchwinner figures nowhere in these lists. 119 against Pakistan in a decider at Dunedin (2001) and 115* against India in a tri-series final (2005) were among the best I remember of him, but again wouldn't come close to the ones mentioned so far.

The 1992 WC aside, the 90's were a really barren time for NZ batsmanship, so few centuries. One innings I really enjoyed in terms of match situation and quality of the attack was Roger Twose's 80* in the 1999 World Cup against the Aussies. NZ were 49 for 4 chasing 200-plus and recent NZ-Aus encounters suggested it would go only one way. His partnership with Cairns was excellent backs-to-the-wall stuff for its time, but yes things could only get better.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Excellent point about Astle.

Greatbatch scored consecutive ODI centuries (one in a win, one in a loss) on a tour of England in 1990 as a middle order batsmen (not pinch-hitter opener), at a time when very few ODI centuries were scored. John Wright, for example, only scored one in his career and Andrew Jones never reached three figures.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just noticed that since 2010 Taylor averages more than Williamson in ODIs and is only 0.05 behind in Tests. Is... Taylor our best batsman?
I’d say yes overall. KW still has an edge for me in Tests, but even if I grant tests more weighting than the other forms, Taylor is further ahead in the Whiteball forms. Not so much statistically speaking, but the big difference for me in Whiteball cricket is KW can set-up games, whereas Taylor can win them.

BeeGee

International Captain
In my book Taylor's been our best batsman for most of his career. The bloke is a game winning or game saving machine.

The biggest calamity facing the Black Caps is the day he retires.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
We're incredibly lucky to have all three of Taylor, Guptill and Williamson in our ODI side at the moment - all three have played superlative knocks and when in peak form are immense.

Don't see how Taylor is going to be fit for the decider though - quad strain isn't just going to go away in a couple of days. Not looking good for the first test either.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously between the retirement of Fleming and the emergence of KW, Taylor was largely unchallenged as NZ's best batsman (though in between suspensions and injuries Ryder would fleetingly enter the equation).

It's tough, as Williamson was so damn good from 2014-2017 that I doubt Taylor, even without his eye-problems, could ever match that level of quality - so I'm still saying KW is #1 overall. It's worth noting that despite only now entering the prime of his career, he's inobtrusively amassed an ODI record that's at the very least the equal of Taylor's in every way save raw aggregate. KW might not be as good at clearing the boundary rope as Taylor, but imo he's better at finding the gaps during the middle overs which is just as important a role. Having said that, Taylor's definitely the form player of the two atm.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously between the retirement of Fleming and the emergence of KW, Taylor was largely unchallenged as NZ's best batsman (though in between suspensions and injuries Ryder would fleetingly enter the equation).
Vettori was the best for 2 or 3 years (in tests)

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I am only watching this through highlights but it seems this is one of the best one-dayer series we've possibly seen.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I'm in the Taylor camp as far as our best bat is concerned. I just feel like he's more adaptable, can absolutely put fear into batsman, can consolidate and knock it around, bat time in all forms etc. Kane might have the odd blitzkrieg moment ala England at the Cake Tin last month but he hasn't got 181 not in him to win a game. And Rossco's got him in consistently lately as well, I'd say his deviation in scores since his eye surgery would be much less than Kane's.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And I was heartened to hear quite a few people (albeit on talk radio) go after Southee today. The host read out a stat that he averages 50 with the ball at home over the last 2 or 3 seasons, I forget how long. And Henry averaged 18 in that time, and had taken around the same amount of wickets in 12-13 less games. I cannot see any justification for Tim Southee to continue to be picked in ODI cricket. Just wish Henry was a bit hungrier.

veganbob

U19 Captain

Pretty close if you do a combined test/odi best batsman. Ive never liked that way though, each format should be treated separately, no such thing as best overall for me.

Also that stat might be a bit unfair on kane given that he was pretty average at the start of his career and Ross was settled by 2010.

What about 2013-2018?