• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah he's played some epic test innings too that were better IMO
Agree. Perth, Manchester (?) 08, Colombo '12 were all better, but **** me dead what an innings today.

I still worry about his body though, as I said 2-3 days ago. Even the World Cup might become a bridge too far if he can't either find a way or play much less cricket.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What an innings!

No.3 on my ODI ratings list after Viv’s 189* and Kapil’s 175*. ****ing hell.

Such an epic knock, decided to list my top 10 NZ innings. Could be caught in the moment ranking it 2nd, but.....

1. Guptill 237* v WI (WC)
2. Taylor 181* v Eng
3. Fleming 134* v SA (WC)
4. Guptill 180* v SA
5. Styris 141 v SL (WC)
6. Guptill 189* v Eng
7. Chris Harris 130 v Aus (WC)
8. Taylor 128* v SL (WC)
9. Jamie How 139 v Eng
10. Chris Cairns 102* v India (CT)

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon it's above Gup's. I know it happens but Gup was dropped first ball, and by the end the Windies had given up on giving a ****. Was a QF mind you. Harris' too low I reckon, given again a QF v an ATG bowling line-up on what I can only assume was a raggy deck and Warne in his prime. Styris way too high, that game was over early on.

I'd also put in McMillan v Australia CH 2007-08, Corey Anderson v WI in Queenstown, Kane's 145 in SA all off the top of my head.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And how much ODI envy do you reckon all of us who went to the Mount Maunganui dud have...that actually genuinely burns me. 3 incredibly memorable last over victories, and that spud of a game that was over 12.3 overs early.

Zinzan

I reckon it's above Gup's. I know it happens but Gup was dropped first ball, and by the end the Windies had given up on giving a ****. Was a QF mind you. .
Dropped or not, a double ton in a WC QF seals it.

I'd also put in McMillan v Australia CH 2007-08, Corey Anderson v WI in Queenstown, Kane's 145 in SA all off the top of my head.
Yep those 3 and Cairns ton chasing vs. SA in Aust in that tri-series of 2001/02 were the others I was thinking about.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon it's above Gup's. I know it happens but Gup was dropped first ball, and by the end the Windies had given up on giving a ****. Was a QF mind you. Harris' too low I reckon, given again a QF v an ATG bowling line-up on what I can only assume was a raggy deck and Warne in his prime. Styris way too high, that game was over early on.

Kane's 145 a very good shout tbh

thierry henry

International Coach
Our best ODI innings ever imo. Guppy struck it sweetest v WI and it's not his fault it was batting first, but the fact remains that it came as part of a dominant batting performance and dominant win. His innings against SA was more similar to this but is narrowly beaten due to our horror start here and the injury woes.

Whether or not it's Taylor's best innings in all formats depends entirely on how you rate test v ODI performances imo. I reckon that rating all formats equally (I don't) and within the constraints of the format this is his best by far.

Zinzan

Depending on the wicket in Chch, I'd drop Southee for Henry & Nicholls for Tstle. Tstle can't really do worse with the bat and gives us the 3rd spin option.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Didn't watch the England innings at all but seems like Sodhi played a massive part in dragging NZ back into the game? He's definitely a real asset in the shorter forms now and is vastly improved from when he was picked for the first time in 2013.

Zinzan

Didn't watch the England innings at all but seems like Sodhi played a massive part in dragging NZ back into the game? He's definitely a real asset in the shorter forms now and is vastly improved from when he was picked for the first time in 2013.
Yup, England were 267/1 after 37.3 overs, looking odds-on at 400+. How Southee then managed to give away 18 off the last when they were 9 down, to hand momentum back to England is beyond me.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Surprised Elliott in the World Cup semi vs South Africa hasn't rated a mention in the best NZ ODI innings discussion. May not have been a ton, but it would be in my top ten ... for game situation, quality of opposition, fact that we'd almost certainly have lost if he'd got out at any stage, and of course it being a World Cup semi.

Flem274*

123/5
Worked through the whole game :(
Not quite the score England wanted but 335 is still fantastic - it doesn't matter how good the pitch is. NZ have a weak batting lineup - it's unlikely they can chase this imo.
Absolute rubbish. Santner is comfortably the best "spinner" role we've had since the retirement of Vettori. Comfortably, no one else is even close.
Craig was and always will be far more likely to run through a side, and did. Also more likely to get spanked.
This game is already over. England just on a completely different level in every way than NZ.
lel
Nah he's played some epic test innings too that were better IMO
yeah Colombo 2012 will never be topped for the sheer cluster**** surrounding it. The entire game from Taylor was him raising his middle finger to Hesson and White after being told he was being stripped of the captaincy, and the only way to get him out in that game was to run him out, which of course someone (Southee from memory) duly did in the second innings.

thierry henry

International Coach
Surprised Elliott in the World Cup semi vs South Africa hasn't rated a mention in the best NZ ODI innings discussion. May not have been a ton, but it would be in my top ten ... for game situation, quality of opposition, fact that we'd almost certainly have lost if he'd got out at any stage, and of course it being a World Cup semi.
For the sheer size of the occasion and epicness of the finish it probably does make top 10. However probably not high top 10 imo because if you strip away that occasion it was really "only" a fairly typical well-paced ODI innings to win a game, in a high-scoring game where he got plenty of support.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yup, England were 267/1 after 37.3 overs, looking odds-on at 400+. How Southee then managed to give away 18 off the last when they were 9 down, to hand momentum back to England is beyond me.
Because he's so average. Henry should come in for him, absolutely.

Astle for Nicholls doesn't work though, Astle is not a 6 and nor is Dutchy. Play Chapman at 6, he's either going to be in around the 25th-30th over or he can hit from the 40th on, he's well capable of both. Yes he's stunk in the last two innings, but gee Nicholls got a fair run so why not give Chapman the same. Nicholls is just not the guy. Can't hit from ball one at all, not a great death hitter anyway, not an accumulator. Just a guy who plays the odd decent innings every 5-6 games or so.

Flem274*

123/5
Elliott's semi-final innings is the most important odi innings ever played by a kiwi

his world cup final one could also have been this had he had any mates to play cricket with

Zinzan

Because he's so average. Henry should come in for him, absolutely.

Astle for Nicholls doesn't work though, Astle is not a 6 and nor is Dutchy. Play Chapman at 6, he's either going to be in around the 25th-30th over or he can hit from the 40th on, he's well capable of both. Yes he's stunk in the last two innings, but gee Nicholls got a fair run so why not give Chapman the same. Nicholls is just not the guy. Can't hit from ball one at all, not a great death hitter anyway, not an accumulator. Just a guy who plays the odd decent innings every 5-6 games or so.
I didn't consider Chapman, because he's not in the squad unless there's a batting injury is he? And now KW is back, he's out. I might be wrong but I thought the only remaining 3 in the squad were Tstle, Ferguson & Henry.