• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Be nice to get even a 90% Corey Anderson circa 2014-15. Then we'd have real power in the middle with him at 6 & Sir Colin 7.

Zinzan

I'd be happy if Southee never wore the silver fern again, but sadly I can't your scenario happening.
Which is why I was doubly pissed to see he was made vice/stand-in captain. Surely that position belong to Guptill in white-ball cricket, and that way Timmy wouldn't be seemingly indispensable.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Which is why I was doubly pissed to see he was made vice/stand-in captain. Surely that position belong to Guptill in white-ball cricket, and that way Timmy wouldn't be seemingly indispensable.
Yeah, I just don't understand it. He must have filthy pictures of someone.

Moss

I'd be happy if Southee never wore the silver fern again, but sadly I can't your scenario happening.
By far my least favourite NZ cricketer of all time. Has/had the talent to be far better in both disciplines but lets the side down all too often, and remains seemingly undroppable.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Such an epic knock, decided to list my top 10 NZ innings. Could be caught in the moment ranking it 2nd, but.....

1. Guptill 237* v WI (WC)
2. Taylor 181* v Eng
3. Fleming 134* v SA (WC)
4. Guptill 180* v SA
5. Styris 141 v SL (WC)
6. Guptill 189* v Eng
7. Chris Harris 130 v Aus (WC)
8. Taylor 128* v SL (WC)
9. Jamie How 139 v Eng
10. Chris Cairns 102* v India (CT)
I think Crowe's century against Australia in the opening game of the 92 World Cup must be up there. NZ had been thrashed by England earlier in the summer and Australia were the red hot favourites for the World Cup. Coming in at 13 for 2, Crowe's unbeaten century set up a memorable win and began a golden run for that team.

Burner

International Regular
Also, England are not going to win any world cup with their bowling attack. Doesn't matter how stacked they are in the batting department, you are not going to win with just being good in one form. And I am not just saying this because of this one match either. Their bowling has been average for quite sometime. Probably a time to look into Anderson.

Moss

Surprised Elliott in the World Cup semi vs South Africa hasn't rated a mention in the best NZ ODI innings discussion. May not have been a ton, but it would be in my top ten ... for game situation, quality of opposition, fact that we'd almost certainly have lost if he'd got out at any stage, and of course it being a World Cup semi.
This was a classic for sure, and that image of him offering Dale Steyn a hand at the end is long term stuff. Truly emotional game that one.

Extremely happy for Ross, his resurgence story since captaincygate just gets better and better.

Zinzan

By far my least favourite NZ cricketer of all time. Has/had the talent to be far better in both disciplines but lets the side down all too often, and remains seemingly undroppable.
Hate to keep saying it, but has always struck me as one of the mentally weakest & softest cricketers to don the fern.

thundaboult

International Debutant
For ***** sake, DROP SOUTHEE AND GET HENRY THE EXTENDED ODI RUN HE DESERVES ALREADY. Tired of seeing that 6'4, 150 pound weak body language and 120km bowling **** taking up valuable space. And on top of that he puts no price on his wicket and he's a vice captain??? What exactly has he shown in terms of leadership?? GTFO. Time for fergie or Henry. Southee really must give Hesson the best BJ's to keep have kept his spot for THIS LONG.

Moss

Also, England are not going to win any world cup with their bowling attack. Doesn't matter how stacked they are in the batting department, you are not going to win with just being good in one form. And I am not just saying this because of this one match either. Their bowling has been average for quite sometime. Probably a time to look into Anderson.
It's a varied attack, but Rashid and Ali will come up against better players of spin than the NZ batsmen. Stokes probably needs to be given more responsibility especially at the death. Curran is pretty good but still far from the finished article and Woakes is solid at what he does. Missing a genuine enforcer or wicket taker in the mould of a Starc or Boult, don't think Wood quite fits that bill.

Flem274*

123/5
England failed in the last world cup because Anderson and Broad disappeared. Tbh at their best they're both class odi bowlers and should be in the team so in 2019 I wouldn't be surprised if England slot them back in if a Wood or a Curran doesn't work out.

On Southee, what annoys me is after his dropping he returned and averaged low 20s in tests for a couple of seasons. He was right up there with the best of them taking wickets in all conditions with both good old swing bowling and really intelligent plans and change ups. I haven't seen today but since the world cup he has been very disappointing overall.

Needs a fire lit under him again perhaps?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Needs a fire lit under him again perhaps?
I think what pisses a lot of us off about Southee is that he needs a fire lit under him to perform. As an experienced international cricketer you shouldn’t need the extra motivation.

This is the disadvantage imo of having a coach in the job for so long. They will have their favorites. Remember John Bracewell and Hamish Marshall?

Moss

On Southee, what annoys me is after his dropping he returned and averaged low 20s in tests for a couple of seasons. He was right up there with the best of them taking wickets in all conditions with both good old swing bowling and really intelligent plans and change ups. I haven't seen today but since the world cup he has been very disappointing overall.
Yeah, in that 2012-early 2015 period he was class. Since then in tests he's been decent enough, without setting the world on fire, so he can stick around. ODIs have been a different story. Can understand the need to have a player of experience around the side but how he immediately slots back into the starting lineup as first choice seamer whenever he misses a couple of games is a mystery. Meanwhile Boult has arguably become a better bowler since the World Cup.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Such an epic knock, decided to list my top 10 NZ innings. Could be caught in the moment ranking it 2nd, but.....

1. Guptill 237* v WI (WC)
2. Taylor 181* v Eng
3. Fleming 134* v SA (WC)
4. Guptill 180* v SA
5. Styris 141 v SL (WC)
6. Guptill 189* v Eng
7. Chris Harris 130 v Aus (WC)
8. Taylor 128* v SL (WC)
9. Jamie How 139 v Eng
10. Chris Cairns 102* v India (CT)
Great list!

According to my ratings this is the New Zealand ODI top 10

Ross Taylor 181* vs England 2018
Martin Guptill 180* vs South Africa 2017
Martin Guptill 237* vs West Indies 2015
Kane Williamson 145* vs South Africa 2013
Luke Ronchi 170* vs Sri Lanka 2015
Chris Cairns 102* vs South Africa 2002
Scott Styris 141 vs Sri Lanka 2003
Craig McMillan 117 vs Australia 2007
Chris Cairns 102* vs India 2000
Ross Taylor 131* vs Pakistan 2011

Interestingly all from this century. I can't think of a truly great ODI knock from a New Zealand player from the 20th century apart from Chris Harris in 1996 or Stephen Fleming chasing against Australia in 1998.

I'd put Fleming's 134* and Elliott in there somewhere if I were making a personal list. Stephen Fleming played a few very good knocks chasing that I can recall.

OverratedSanity

Great list!

Interestingly all from this century. I can't think of a truly great ODI knock from a New Zealand player from the 20th century apart from Chris Harris in 1996 or Stephen Fleming chasing against Australia in 1998.

I'd put Fleming's 134* and Elliott in there somewhere if I were making a personal list. Stephen Fleming played a few very good knocks chasing that I can recall.
Fleming had a great ton against SA in the wc iirc

The Hutt Rec

Great list!

20th century: I definitely agree with whoever mentioned Martin Crowe's 100* against Australia in the opening game of the 1992 World Cup being up there as one of NZ's best. Not just for the winning of that game, but the effect that result then had on NZ for the rest of the tournament.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Was thinking of Chris Harris 1996 too. How about some of Martin Crowe's innings at the 1992 WC. Surely some of them would make a top 10?