• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Great game to be at though, even with the sparse attendance. NZC really needs to go back to 2-3 LO games in Welly next year. This was I think the 5th game they've played in a 2-month window.
The lack of an England test really has thrown the whole schedule off in Wellington this year. It seems so weird as a fan that it’s ended with five consecutive limited overs matches, after the early West Indies test.

I know NZ Cricket blamed the state of the Basin for not getting the test, but it really has seemed like we’ve overloaded on starters and missed the main course, from a spectator point of view.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The latest ODI games have been by far the best of the summer but I just CBF watching really because it's all been limited overs stuff for months now.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
The latest ODI games have been by far the best of the summer but I just CBF watching really because it's all been limited overs stuff for months now.
Yep I’ve definitely reached that stage too ... although I was out of town this weekend so couldn’t go anyway.

thierry henry

International Coach
I've found myself forgetting that the games are on but then finding them absolutely compelling viewing....somehow "90s ODIs" where the chasing team is struggling with something less than run-a-ball feel more meaningful.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've found myself forgetting that the games are on but then finding them absolutely compelling viewing....somehow "90s ODIs" where the chasing team is struggling with something less than run-a-ball feel more meaningful.
I agree so much. It might just be because we were 90s kids, but I feel like there's something more to it than that.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's because we're all snobs, and watching teams struggling to knock the ball around at 4.5 rpo without suffering a massive collapse has a lot more in common with test cricket than modern ODI's.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Im not a cricket snob, while tests is my favourite format I hold the odi cricket world cup as the ultimate. I'd take that over winning any test series.

However Ive always loved low scoring games, both odis and tests. This series has been even more enjoyable because its rare these days in odis.
Our middle order batting and the running between wickets combined with very good bowling from both sides (england fielding has been epic) has made the scores way lower than par.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think we enjoy if because there’s actually a contest between bat and ball with momentum shifting between the two during the innings.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
We are chasing. Big day for Henry Nicholls - if he is out cheaply and Munro does well, the test no 5 place might be in jeopardy

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know about selecting the test number 5 spot based on ODI matches, but it's a big day for Nicholls regardless. Have to think that if Chapman had made a score in the last two matches, Nicholls would already be out of the side. As it is, this might be his last chance.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Don't know about selecting the test number 5 spot based on ODI matches, but it's a big day for Nicholls regardless. Have to think that if Chapman had made a score in the last two matches, Nicholls would already be out of the side. As it is, this might be his last chance.
It's New Zealand tradition.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I thought we got rid of that tradition though.

Sounds like a bad start by our bowlers - yes a couple of lucky edges or mis-hits but overall too inaccurate. We really need early wickets against this batting lineup. May have been tempted to give Henry the new ball over Southee here to search for early wickets, though selectors' conservatism always going to hold sway in a must-win like this.