• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
By that standard, India have been far more guilty of "choking" away matches they were actually favoured to win (CT final, WT20 2016 SF against WI, WT20 2014 final against SL). Only one team can win a tournament.

They never choked deciders against India away, they were never ahead in those matches. They beat Pakistan 5-0 in the ODI series. Pakistan are the No. 1 ranked T20 team (not that I think it means much, they're an unpredictable side).
The decider last year was 100% a choke.

35 runs needed off 24 balls (8.75), 5 wickets remaining with 2 set batsmen at the crease, on a pitch where 645 runs had already been scored in 96 overs.

Last edited:

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Nice cherry-picking of results. Smashed by Pakistan at home is my favourite after we beat them 5-0 in ODIs. Cheer up pal.
How many away Test series have we won?

Our biggest results have been drawing series in Aus, England and the UAE.

And outside making 2 Finals and a million Semis, we've won nothing in ODIs since 2000.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You know, Paine worked out during the tests so fair enough. But seeing Carey as much as we have this summer, and knowing his quality behind the stumps before. I'm even more confused how the selectors figured Paine was so obviously the best in the country.

Flem274*

123/5
god this is a lot of crying over one T20 loss

how are you ****s going to react when they inevitably **** the bed and meekly surrender in the boxing day test?*

*unless they're completely written off going into that game, in that case they'll probably win the bloody thing because nz

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I think a really crucial point was made by Maxwell in the post match interview about picking their squad based on current form from Big Bash etc.

So many selections haven’t made sense from Hesson and Larsen in the T20 format. They like to stick with their selections to give them confidence but then they go ahead and drop Phillips 2 games after he got a 50. They stick with Kitchen over Chapman because of “his bowling option” and then only bowls 1 over in the 3 Pakistan T20s.

While Williamson has an overall good T20 record (also had a pretty good IPL last season) his SR in the last 2 years at international level is only 103. Not good enough for this level/format/his standards. Give him some time out from that format and I also think his ODI/Test form will improve. They’re doing it with Smith in Australia.

Ideally I’d like to see this side:

Guptill (c)
Munro
Phillips (wk)
Chapman
Bruce/Anderson/Taylor
Bruce/Anderson/Taylor
CdG
Santner
Southee
Sodhi/Ferguson
Boult

Can easily get 4 overs out of CdG/Chapman/Munro.

The T20 format is the quickest changing and has different stats and the selectors/coaching staff need to look at their tactics for sure.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I hate saying it, but our team is packed with losers.
This is clearly not true, as it's the tone of approximately 100% of your posts.

I never would've thought I'd see the day where losing a T20 leads to so much hand-wringing.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
He's quite right though, nothing screams 'loser' more than being an international cricketer without a cricinfo profile pic - Tom Bruce | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo
Nah, I hate using that word to for them as they're obviously quite talented to make it to that level in the first place. The problem is they're losers at that level.

and to be more blunt, our T20 middle order is trash
If Guptill and Munro fail, we're going to lose 99% of the time against decent teams with this team.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible

how are you ****s going to react when they inevitably **** the bed and meekly surrender in the boxing day test?*

*unless they're completely written off going into that game, in that case they'll probably win the bloody thing because nz
Love you bby

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
This is clearly not true, as it's the tone of approximately 100% of your posts.

I never would've thought I'd see the day where losing a T20 leads to so much hand-wringing.
It's more than a T20 defeat, it's another embarrassing performance in Aus against a random XI that will hurt our chances to play cricket there. A big reason behind our woeful show in the WC Final was our lack of experience in those conditions. That's not going to change anytime soon with the performances our players have put in since then.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's more than a T20 defeat, it's another embarrassing performance in Aus against a random XI that will hurt our chances to play cricket there. A big reason behind our woeful show in the WC Final was our lack of experience in those conditions. That's not going to change anytime soon with the performances our players have put in since then.
You know that losing games or winning games doesn’t play in to the scheduling right?

Only crowd sizes and viewers on TV.

Spark

Global Moderator

i mean you lot have your own national doom and gloom thread for a reason

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
That Aussie side looks pretty strong, but it only takes Stanlake to have one bad spell and the bowling looks ordinary. You'd think that Starc and Finch would probably come in and that would be their strongest side, Smith if they want a consolidator.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
While Williamson has an overall good T20 record (also had a pretty good IPL last season) his SR in the last 2 years at international level is only 103. Not good enough for this level/format/his standards. Give him some time out from that format and I also think his ODI/Test form will improve. They’re doing it with Smith in Australia.
This is a fair point. I posted earlier that if NZ wants to do really well in T20 i.e. win the next T20 World Cup, then a top order with both Williamson and Taylor is not going to put up high enough scores, particularly now that Guptill seems to play more of an anchor role too. You'd pick one though, and I would've picked Williamson, who at one stage was good at ticking along at SR 120-130 to support the more aggressive batsman. However he's in bad form and not doing this atm. Taylor is doing a bit better, though not a huge amount tbh.

This is all a little theoretical though when the rest of the top 6 also combined for **** all in the last match and the latest couple of additions (Bruce and Philips) haven't excelled.

Still, it would be a fun idea just to put out a Best of the Super Smash side as the T20 side and use it as a development opportunity.

I don't know if it'll help his Test game, ODI game maybe...under usual circumstances I'd say Kane is the sort of bloke who'd put up his hand and say I don't deserve to be in this side, I'm going to concentrate on ODIs and Tests. But given the glut on Tests on our radar and more importantly the money Kane would potentially give up...I can't expect or do I even reasonably think he will/would.
This is a good point too and is probably part of the reason Taylor was brought back into the side recently. And it's why you wouldn't put out a Best of the Super Smash side, because it would screw over the core XI's chances of playing IPL, Big Bash etc.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a fair point. I posted earlier that if NZ wants to do really well in T20 i.e. win the next T20 World Cup, then a top order with both Williamson and Taylor is not going to put up high enough scores, particularly now that Guptill seems to play more of an anchor role too. You'd pick one though, and I would've picked Williamson, who at one stage was good at ticking along at SR 120-130 to support the more aggressive batsman. However he's in bad form and not doing this atm. Taylor is doing a bit better, though not a huge amount tbh..
KW has no business being anywhere near our top T20 side, unless they somehow figure we're going to be playing on day 1 Test match pitches requiring someone to be able to merely survive.

I don't care that he might have been scoring at a 120 SR 2 years ago.,,, the last 2 he's been at 103, which is simply unacceptable. If anyone else returned such numbers batting at no. 3 where he's often batting in the PP, they would have been dropped a long time ago.

But NZC for some reason seem to have bought into this notion that we must have one captain for all 3 forms. I feel for KW tbh, and I understand that he's never going to pull out himself, but he just looks so out of place and at sea batting in T20s... it's sad seeing a technically brilliant batsmen playing in a form he's just clearly not up to playing in (certainly at the highest level).

God knows why the Sunrisers paid so much for him when he's unlikely to get much game time at all for that franchise, but perhaps they think he's a good influence on Warner's captaincy or something, since they seem to be good mates off the field. or that he's a good influence on the other young players. I'll be surprised if he gets more than 2-3 games all year, unless they get 2 or more injuries to other overseas players.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
God knows why the Sunrisers paid so much for him when he's unlikely to get much game time at all for that franchise, but perhaps they think he's a good influence on Warner's captaincy or something, since they seem to be good mates off the field. or that he's a good influence on the other young players. I'll be surprised if he gets more than 2-3 games all year, unless they get 2 or more injuries to other overseas players.
Williamson had an excellent IPL last year (although he only played about half of it). Averaged about 40 with SR of 150.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Williamson had an excellent IPL last year (although he only played about half of it). Averaged about 40 with SR of 150.
He did play a couple of good innings last year, on really good batting decks, as he has played the odd good T20 domestic and international innings on occasions, but those few games were an aberration rather than the rule. As proved when he joined the CPL just a month or so after the IPL and was an utter embarrassment knocking up a SR for the tournament of just 89 and having to be tried in a lot of different batting positions because I assume the franchise were embarrassed to drop a supposed star like him. In the 2016 IPL, his SR was just 101 in 6 games.

Anyway, happy for any takers on an avatar bet that he'll play no more than 5 games for the Sunrisers this season.

Last edited: