• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Thank you NZ weather and rain fade for saving me the bother of staying up to watch 117 off 20 overs of cricket.

Bring on the England ODI series already.

There's probably no chance it'll ever happen but Kane needs to give up T20 internationals. Saves the issue of ever having to rest him in ODIs, just take the T20 series off.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not a huge surprise, given that our summer has largely comprised of smashing overmatched opponents on home soil.

Lord Colin continues to surprise on the upside, which is nice, but otherwise not a lot to get excited about.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's probably no chance it'll ever happen but Kane needs to give up T20 internationals. Saves the issue of ever having to rest him in ODIs, just take the T20 series off.
This has been the elephant in the room for quite some time now, in spite some of us being vocal about it.

KW's T20 batting has been painful and embarrassing for a long time now if we're honest about it. Whether it was the CPL tournament last year where his franchise probably felt obliged to keep playing him since his name was Kane, in spite of him batting with a SR of 89 (or something embarrassing like that) for the season. And let's be real, would any other T20 nation in the world allow one of their batsmen to regularly be 2 off 9 balls, or 6 off 14 in T20? No, of course they wouldn't, but we have to put up with it because he's out captain apparently.

Putting all the above aside, I believe it will help KW's Test and ODI game if he's rid of the form he's clearly so incompatible with. And before people post his overall T20I stats, please look at the last 2 years specifically, where his SR has been around 103.

Meanwhile... the likes of Philips and Taylor get left on the sidelines so Kane can regularly block his way to 4 off 10 balls, while a genuine T20 talent like Chapman can't get a look in. Just absurd.

Blain

U19 Captain
Ugh, shocking from the Blackcaps. The batting performance was worse than that of the commentators, which is just bad..

KW, yeah, na. We clearly struggled with the slow pitch, but he couldn't hit it off the pitch for 4 overs! Not good enough. Taylor did a job, he did well considering he didn't get close to middling one I guess.

Bowlers had it tough with the wet outfield, game over once the ball went soft. Our attack looks like a 1 man band in the pace attack, CDG and Southee are good ODI bowlers, but just aren't quick enough unless they are bang on, which isn't often..

Well played Aus, far too good!

Burgey

Can understand why the powers that be got so excited about him. That set of attributes doesn’t come along very often.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Performances like this is why Australia never invite us.

Our players shut down whenever they set foot on Aussie soil.
Yeah, NZ get hyped up as being always giving Oz a challenge in ODIs in Oz but afaik they’ve never won a ODI series in Oz. The only time they’ve beaten NZ in a head-to-head matchup (2001/02) they lost the finals of the tri series easily to South Africa.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, NZ get hyped up as being always giving Oz a challenge in ODIs in Oz but afaik they’ve never won a ODI series in Oz. The only time they’ve beaten NZ in a head-to-head matchup (2001/02) they lost the finals of the tri series easily to South Africa.
NZ has won two series in AU in ODIs. They were in the 80s.

Also where is the hyping up occurring?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
My personal observation is that NZ falls apart at the seams almost every time we play in Australia (for the last decade or so).

We do go well in home limited overs matches against them, but then again, Australia often sends understrength sides to NZ.

Spark

Global Moderator
I dunno about hyping up, but they often seem to perform below what you'd think they'd be like on paper. Having said that, they're not alone in that regard historically.

TheJediBrah

My personal observation is that NZ falls apart at the seams almost every time we play in Australia (for the last decade or so).

We do go well in home limited overs matches against them, but then again, Australia often sends understrength sides to NZ.
This is the key. Ever since 2007 (and maybe earlier) the sides we've sent their have been almost disrespectful in quality. I can't see it changing either because CA aren't going to send full-strength sides on a pointless 3 match tour that no one in Aus cares about when they could be resting players, and the tours aren't going to stop because they are lucrative regardless.

Flem274*

123/5
NZ just wilt every time they set foot in oz with a hint of public optimism behind them. Some seriously **** NZ teams have won games over there but not many of the good ones. 2011 v 2015 a case in point.

I suppose when your cricketing nation clings desperately to the underdog status you risk making a challenging tour even greater in your head.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This has been the elephant in the room for quite some time now, in spite some of us being vocal about it.

KW's T20 batting has been painful and embarrassing for a long time now if we're honest about it. Whether it was the CPL tournament last year where his franchise probably felt obliged to keep playing him since his name was Kane, in spite of him batting with a SR of 89 (or something embarrassing like that) for the season. And let's be real, would any other T20 nation in the world allow one of their batsmen to regularly be 2 off 9 balls, or 6 off 14 in T20? No, of course they wouldn't, but we have to put up with it because he's out captain apparently.

Putting all the above aside, I believe it will help KW's Test and ODI game if he's rid of the form he's clearly so incompatible with. And before people post his overall T20I stats, please look at the last 2 years specifically, where his SR has been around 103.

Meanwhile... the likes of Philips and Taylor get left on the sidelines so Kane can regularly block his way to 4 off 10 balls, while a genuine T20 talent like Chapman can't get a look in. Just absurd.
I don't know if it'll help his Test game, ODI game maybe...under usual circumstances I'd say Kane is the sort of bloke who'd put up his hand and say I don't deserve to be in this side, I'm going to concentrate on ODIs and Tests. But given the glut on Tests on our radar and more importantly the money Kane would potentially give up...I can't expect or do I even reasonably think he will/would.

Zinzan

Course you can't blame KW, you have to blame the selectors, his T20 batting is just a liability. We don't need to have the same captain in all 3 forms.

I'd prefer .

Guptill
Phillips/Seifer+
Munro
Taylor
Chapman
CDG
Devcich
Santner
Sodhi
Ferguson/Tickner
Boult

Tell me that's not a much more attacking batting line-up than last night.I know there'll be some lolling at Devcich, but that also gives you lots more depth in the bowling dept. with Devcich, CDG, Munro & Chapman all being able to share the 5th bowling slot.

TheJediBrah

I don't know if it'll help his Test game, ODI game maybe...under usual circumstances I'd say Kane is the sort of bloke who'd put up his hand and say I don't deserve to be in this side, I'm going to concentrate on ODIs and Tests. But given the glut on Tests on our radar and more importantly the money Kane would potentially give up...I can't expect or do I even reasonably think he will/would.
That's a very good point that I haven't thought about. It'd be one thing for, say, Steve Smith to give up T20s in focus on Tests and ODIs, but for KW who barely even plays Tests or as many International games due to scheduling you'd want to play as many games for your country as you could.