• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah here's Doull. Devcich, Munro, Guptill, Chapman, CdG, Young and Seifert is his drastic top 7 makeover.

I suspect that would probably work, though it's hard to say if a few of the blokes are actually capable of playing well at international standard or outside of NZ.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't see much of Super Smash apart from some highlights, but despite a decent average (30) this season, Will Young's not really a T20 player is he? Aside from that, you couldn't really argue against Chapman, Seifert and Devcich based on performance.

Doull also agreed with general consensus that Bruce is too one-dimensional at the moment.

Dropping Southee from his side perhaps not surprising, but retaining Rance in his place was. Even if Rance has been one of the better domestic T20 bowlers going round the last couple of seasons, he does seem like one of those that will really struggle to take that to international level.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kane Williamson and Mike Hesson need axing in T20 cricket revolution - Simon Doull - NZ Herald

Not often I agree with Doull, but I think he’s on the money here. Apart from Guptill as captain, he’s been struggling as much as the rest, recently.

Despite our number two ranking, we’ve lost three match series to Pakistan at home, India away, a one off to South Africa at home ... and beaten Bangladesh and West Indies at home in the last year. We have far from a flash record in this format ...
Pfft, Doull must have been reading my comments again.... Pretty much what I wrote a couple of days back.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Not that I care about the format..

But I'd have Guptill Phillips Munro Taylor Chapman CdG Wheeler Santner Sodhi Boult Tickner. And would be tempted to play someone like Ajaz Patel in the right conditions

It's all scurrilous because Southee won't be dropped, nor Kane, but I'd enjoy watching my side.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Here's Alderson with the other view. Common sense for the most part IMO, and NZ seemed to have misread the conditions completely that day.
Andrew Alderson: The problem with axing Kane Williamson - NZ Herald

No point jumping the gun on Kane just yet, there aren't a ton of quality replacements he in particular is keeping out. However when he says "If people fork out hard-earned income to see the Black Caps, they deserve to see the best regardless of format." it's definitely questionable whether the squad being put out is the best. (Looking at Bruce, Rance, Southee and Kitchen in particular. Also have to wonder whether Blundell and Wheeler are best suited to this format).

Flem274*

123/5
skygo breaking down and not moving on from the cricket show on loop means i cant watch this atm and its a real first world drama for me

theegyptian

Roy is poor at t20. Better served playing Vince in this series imo. When you have Root, Stokes and Ali and you bat deep you can afford Roy coming off every so often at the top of the order (and failing most of the time), but when the batting is a bit lighter they probably need Vince who is the more reliable and probably better T20 bat.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol anyone else notice Travis Head in the background of that replay not looking too happy when Warner took the catch of Maxwell's bowling?

Flem274*

123/5
how come no one on cw had mentioned malan existed before his dayboo? he looked solid in the ashes. And how come he's never played an odi to date?

theegyptian

how come no one on cw had mentioned malan existed before his dayboo? he looked solid in the ashes. And how come he's never played an odi to date?
He'd always had a solid but fairly unspectacular game. He got picked up to play PSL 2 or 3 years ago on the back of some good t20 form and did ok but not great. Went away and worked more on his game (playing spin, expansive shots agains pace) and came back the next year at PSL a much better player.

Why he hasn't play more t20 or ODIS? well he wasn't that good and since he's become good in the last couple of years, England actually have a pretty good side. Malan and Vince should be pushing for Roy's T20 spot. Not sure Malan gets in the ODI squad though.

Flem274*

123/5
were the umpires wearing helmets last game?
He'd always had a solid but fairly unspectacular game. He got picked up to play PSL 2 or 3 years ago on the back of some good t20 form and did ok but not great. Went away and worked more on his game (playing spin, expansive shots agains pace) and came back the next year at PSL a much better player.

Why he hasn't play more t20 or ODIS? well he wasn't that good and since he's become good in the last couple of years, England actually have a pretty good side. Malan and Vince should be pushing for Roy's T20 spot. Not sure Malan gets in the ODI squad though.
Ta. Yeah good point on the England ODI logjam but he looks pretty at home in T20 and appears to have a decent one day record so i was a bit surprised he wasn't in the frame.