• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds like India deserves a lot of credit for its second dig on this deck. Fair play to them

Top_Cat

Sounds like India deserves a lot of credit for its second dig on this deck. Fair play to them
Yeah this. And I guess this is why I'm hesitant to go along with the idea that this deck is anywhere near as bad as Sabina Park in '98. Here you have the deck doing plenty, some really nasty balls happening but India's bats managed to compile a decent score and set South Africa what is probably an impossible target for day 4 of the game. In '98, the shooters and lifters were nastier than we saw on day 3 here within the first couple of overs of the match. The '98 match was called off after 10 ****ing overs and everyone was shocked at how long it took to call it off even then.

Even if it's a dead Test, you've got the guys who bore the brunt of it on day 3 saying play on. I've little doubt if the Indian players thought it was legit dangerous, they'd be saying so even if they weren't in a winning position. So, play on.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The Indian tailend batted on that! And what is suspending play supposed to achieve? They cannot surely start filling in cracks and so forth which would be grossly unfair!!

The Indian tail end (Shami, B. Kumar, Bumrah) batted for 12.8 overs. The South African top order (Markram, Elgar, Amla) batted for 8.3 overs before the decision was made to call the thing off!

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
I always felt that there has been lingering resentment towards India because of that 2015 series from SA.

Yeah we shouldn't be rolling out turners for India but this is pitch has been terrible. No disrespect to the Indian pacers who have been brilliant but SA still has a stronger pace attack. A normal Wanderers pitch really should have been fine. I mean Rabada, Philander and Morkel should be backed to get the most out of any surface with a little help for the seamers. Just how Ashwin should be backed to bowl out teams on surfaces with a little help for the spinners. If SA lose, which is likely, hopefully this will make the think tank re-evaluate their approach. I personally hate pitches were one discipline rules over every other one.

Just a sidenote guys, two wrongs really don't make a right. Yeah the Wanderers has been poor but a couple of those pitches in India were as well. Can't defend any of them if you ask me. Complaints by players or not.
As Gibson pointed out in his press conference this is not the pitch team asked for. They asked for a fast bouncy pitch not a grass covered pitch like this. They didn't want one that has a lot of lateral movement. They gave the groundsman a month's notice but he failed to deliver.

Unfortunately seems both groundsmen at centurion and wanderers are incompetent when it comes to preparing what faf & ottis wants.

The nagpur pitch was poor and this one is as poor if not worse imho...

a Test match should be a fair contest and these pitches aren't providing it.

Slifer

International Captain
Would loose all the respect for SA if they try to call it off tomorrow after whining about wickets in India in every single press conference..

Will be truly disgraceful.
This. What if RSA had to play on some of those older traditional waca pitches. RSA do look like a bunch of whiners at this point. I'm personally enjoying the sight of seeing bowlers making batsmen swerve and weave!!! This is TEST cricket after all

cnerd123

likes this
I think this pitch is fine tbh. Makes for compelling viewing and I'm not completely against elite athletes getting hurt while playing their sport. I know Phil Huges happened but the odds of that happening again are really small - that kind of incident (being too early on a pull, get hit on the back of the head) is more likely on a pitch where the ball is coming on slower than expected, not this.

Here we'll get some broken fingers and ribs, at most? Somebumps and bruises. Someone takes a ball to the grill or helmet. This is minor to the kind of injuries other Elite athletes sustain in their sports.

The game hasn't been a lottery. Skill has been rewarded, poor cricket has been penalised harshly. Both batsmen and bowlers have needed to adapt and learn how to play in these conditions. It's been fun to watch.

I get why this is a poor pitch but I really don't mind a poor pitch every now and then. It's not the end of the world and no one needs to be crucified for it.

Burgey

I can remember when the idea of teams publicly asking for certain types of wickets wasn’t done. If the curator has tried to prepare something which SA asked for that’s different to the normal type of pitch they get here and it’s backfired, then I hope SA loses. Even if it’s to India, the kings of tailor made decks.

Burgey

I haven’t watched this match so I’m taking at face value what people have said about it. But the risk of serious injury is far greater on a deck that has variable bounce than any other. If you’re coming forward to a ball at anything over 80-odd mph and it leaps at you, you’re basically ****ed and it’s in the lap of the dogs as to whether you get hit and seriously injured.

SteveWaugh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I can remember when the idea of teams publicly asking for certain types of wickets wasn’t done. If the curator has tried to prepare something which SA asked for that’s different to the normal type of pitch they get here and it’s backfired, then I hope SA loses. Even if it’s to India, the kings of tailor made decks.
Why? Most Indians appreciate such a wicket. Most Indians love wickets which help the pace bowlers. It's a shame that the other pitches weren't as exciting as this pitch. I think the South Africans have prepared a brilliant pitch, and this is a common view among the Indians. Most criticisms are emanating from the English and Australians.

R!TTER

State Regular
I always felt that there has been lingering resentment towards India because of that 2015 series from SA.

Yeah we shouldn't be rolling out turners for India but this is pitch has been terrible. No disrespect to the Indian pacers who have been brilliant but SA still has a stronger pace attack. A normal Wanderers pitch really should have been fine. I mean Rabada, Philander and Morkel should be backed to get the most out of any surface with a little help for the seamers. Just how Ashwin should be backed to bowl out teams on surfaces with a little help for the spinners. If SA lose, which is likely, hopefully this will make the think tank re-evaluate their approach. I personally hate pitches were one discipline rules over every other one.

Just a sidenote guys, two wrongs really don't make a right. Yeah the Wanderers has been poor but a couple of those pitches in India were as well. Can't defend any of them if you ask me. Complaints by players or not.
Only Nagpur was diabolical, Mohali was like a day 3/4 Vizag track that we played against England. The problem was the teams played at Mohali straight after the runathon at Mumbai, just like how India played a test in SA straight after the T20I against SL. It's virtually impossible to adjust to tests on a difficult surface after a high scoring LO game, Mohali was no worse than Newlands btw & had Bangalore test been completed SA would likely have lost 4 nil, so two losses on good batting tracks whilst one each on a diabolical/difficult one.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Nothing like a good old controversy to put a thread down the ****ter
Yeah I'm with you on this. If no one is getting pinged from a length in the first half hour today I hope they just finish the Test. SA haven't been that good at all and India have batted well in the 3rd dig so that is what should be focused on at the end of the day imo. Could have been chasing sub 200 if not for the drops and loose bowling.