• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

the big bambino

International Captain
Ok he wasn't an allrounder as we often understand it, but the term is a little more expansive when applied to ODIs and I think it includes Symonds on his record.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watson is not really an all time great option down the order. He scored the bulk of his runs up the order.

There are very few batsmen who have scored significant runs at 5, 6 or 7.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Richards
Kohli
DeVilliers
Symonds
Flintoff
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Easy

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
what about an eleven from this decade only, one for tests and one for ODIs, just off the top of my head, this is what I'd pick:

Tests

1. Warner
2. Cook c
3. Amla
4. Kohli
5. Y. Khan
6. Smith
7. Dhoni wk
8. Broad
9. Swann
10. Steyn
11. Anderson

The likes of ABD, Misbah, Root and more than a few others just miss out.

ODIs

1. Warner
2. Amla
3. Kohli
4. ABD
5. Dhoni c/wk
6. Al Hasan
7. Afridi
8. Starc
9. Ajmal
10. Steyn
11. Morkel

Again, quite a few miss out by a whisker, the likes of Dhawan, Boult, Taylor, Williamson and co.

Red

Hard choices. Have to remember this decade includes Clarke's 2012 where he made scores of 329*, 210, 259* and 230 in the space of a calendar year.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhoni won't make a Test XI. Would ask AB de Villiers to keep, or otherwise I'd take De Kock.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No love for Freddy, he’s a quality ODI allrounder, if I want a bowling allrounder he’s probably my go to guy, batting allrounder is symonds or watson, actually it’s probably watson because he’s a much better bowler than symonds. Problem with klusener is he didn’t score enough runs to compete with watson and symonds and his bowling is solid but not spectacular. Kapil was a solid bowler with terrific hitting but wasn’t consistent enough with the bat or spectacular enough with the ball.

Freddy’s batting average is low compared to lance’s but they have a similar amount of runs, flintoff did it in less innings, he only has 16 not outs compared to 50 for klusener which can explain the difference in average but everything else as far as batting is pretty similar, as far as bowling, freddy is clearly ahead.
Problem with Flintoff is his best period of being an all rounder came when he batted at 4/5 and there’s no justification for putting him in a team in that role so he can’t be shoehorned in, irrespective of how good he was.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Problem with Flintoff is his best period of being an all rounder came when he batted at 4/5 and there’s no justification for putting him in a team in that role so he can’t be shoehorned in, irrespective of how good he was.
I tend to advocate for picking him anyway, but yes this is certainly the biggest problem. Despite his reputation he wasn't really great at coming in and teeing off from the first ball in ODIs -- he needed time to build an innings.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Dhoni won't make a Test XI. Would ask AB de Villiers to keep, or otherwise I'd take De Kock.
I might swap out Dhoni, it was a tough pick for me.

Hard choices. Have to remember this decade includes Clarke's 2012 where he made scores of 329*, 210, 259* and 230 in the space of a calendar year.
True but can't go wrong with a middle order of Amla, Kohli, Khana and Smith. Not sure if Clarke fits in there.

vcs

Dry Fruit XI:

Michael Cranberry
Hashim Amla
Wally Almond
Hemang Badami
Shakib al-Raisin
Angelo Cashews
Clyde Walnut (wk)
Date Steyn
Josh Hazelnut
Cashew Maharaj
Venkatapathy Kaju

vcs

Chaat Items XI

Samosa Robson
Simon Katich-ori
Ian Bell-puri
Sev Smith
Dabeli Malan
Tikki Clarke
Tim Pani-puri (wk)
Kagiso Dahi-vada
Jake Bhalla
James Patties-inson
Lakshmipathy Pav-Bhaji

Red

He's now about 60 tests in. When do we call this?

V.Trumper
B.Lawry
D.Bradman *
G.Chappell
S.Smith
K.Miller
A.Gilchrist +
S.Warne
D.Lillee
B.OReilly
G.McGrath