• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You can take any of S.Waugh, Harvey, Hussey and Ponting in any cricket team, I agree. All were great batsmen and gun fielders.

But you can go to war with Border.
Border was gutsy and gritty, I agree, but the whole war thing is overrated with Border.

If you wanna go down that path, give me Tugga any day -

- bouncing Viv (Viv being in a team that contained Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh and Patterson)

- staring down Ambrose and asking him what the **** he was looking at

- The 1989 Ashes, where his batting and Alderman's bowling fully arrested the slide that Australian cricket had been in before we started to claw our way to the greatest team ever under his leadership a decade or so later.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tugga stood on the shoulders of a giant. That giant's name was AB.

Both were exceptional - AB in the 80s and Tugga in the 90s.

When Tugga retired in 2004 I seriously wondered what cricket would be like without a Waugh in the Australian team.

mr_mister

Have you checked Davo's record? It's immense.

Yeah, I can't see anything written about or evidenced by stats that suggested Davidson isnt on the same level as any other top tier player

He's just not considered as good because reasons

Red

His SR was a fair bit higher than the others if I'm not mistaken.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's because the 50s and 60s were an extremely slow and defensive era tbh. Truman's strike rate for that era was freakish.

stephen

Still, for a third seamer, a guy who has a very low average combined with a very high strike rate is perfect. Means he can tie up an end and not leak runs. It gives the captain control when he needs it which is an amazingly useful attribute.

Not that McGrath or Lillee or Miller couldn't do that either, but the flip side of Davo's strike rate is that he has one of the best economy rates of all time.

Imagine Boycott batting to Davo and McGrath. Would be a very dry spectacle.

JBMAC

State Captain
Yeah there's plenty of batting already but Gilchrist is a superior package to Tallon.

With Miller in the side it's a four-pronged pace attack so outside Warne there will be minimal stumping opportunities anyway.

Personally I'd have Davidson in over Lindwall for the variety. No need for 4 rf bowlers when a lf bowler with an average of 20 is on the bench.
Bit that is highlighted in bold is a misinterpretation of old technology. The Keeper was known in the vernacular of the the time as "The Stumper".There: you just learnt something.:)

ImpatientLime

International Regular
- staring down Ambrose and asking him what the **** he was looking at
This is such an overstated incident. He's stood there with a helmet on and a bat in hand whilst thousands watch in the ground and millions watched on t.v.

Do people really think Curtly was gonna put hands on him?

All nonsense bravado.

mr_mister

Curtley trying to pull away from Richie Richardson looked badass though and helped Waugh look tough by default

Red

This is such an overstated incident. He's stood there with a helmet on and a bat in hand whilst thousands watch in the ground and millions watched on t.v.

Do people really think Curtly was gonna put hands on him?

All nonsense bravado.
Yeh righto. You can call it overstated when you've riled Ambrose in his prime knowing you have to keep facing him as long as you're in for. Overstated!

the big bambino

International Captain
Exactly. The threat wasn't in being chinned but rather chin music. Waugh stared that down far better than Dean Jones did when he tried to rile up Ambrose. It was Ambrose who looked the tool by starting it. What was Waugh meant to do? He rightly responded and for that he gets called a tool? Nah **** that.

Red

Waugh bouncing Viv and having that interaction with Ambrose was more than being a tool or trying to be a hero. Waugh really understood how to play into the psyches of his opponents and most things he did were calculated and done for a reason. Essentially he was saying (from an Australian perspective) you guys have bullied teams for the last 15 years, and I'm drawing a line in the sand.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Waugh bouncing Viv and having that interaction with Ambrose was more than being a tool or trying to be a hero. Waugh really understood how to play into the psyches of his opponents and most things he did were calculated and done for a reason. Essentially he was saying (from an Australian perspective) you guys have bullied teams for the last 15 years, and I'm drawing a line in the sand.
Exactly. Tugga was very much about manipulating the psychology of his opponents. Good call RH.