• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what I've read he got through a tough period, so these runs definitely count imo.
Nearly 200 in front and he gets a few runs for only the 2nd time in series and on both occasions it has been 2nd innings with a big lead already. Not got important runs once yet.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Not been raining by me since early this morning despite looking grim all day.

I don't know how it works exactly but would be nice if these clouds could **** off to South London.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah that's his point, he has this hang up about Stokes being asked to bat 8 behind Moeen first time they were both in the side, Stokes got a bunch of ducks and got dropped. It's not an unreasable order without evidence IMO but since then Stokes has only really made runs batting in the top six. Hence why Stokes at 6 has since been a mainstay while Bairstow and Moeen have been shifted around a fair bit.

Stokes' average as a #6 is 39, ftr.
A Durham fan having a hang up about a Durham player? **** me, never seen that before.

tooextracool

International Coach
My general notes on watching Westley this innings:
- It takes a certain level of class and talent to crack Morne Morkel straight down the ground for four
- Wristy players generally make better players of spin (though we don't yet know much about Westley's prowess against spin)
- A bit loose on the drive, I counted at least 3 shots where he didn't quite get to the pitch of the ball and went through with the drive anyways
- Playing with an angled bat that comes down from 2nd slip will likely result in a number of inside edges onto the stumps over the years. I don't think this has been a career killer for any batsman in the past and it can certainly be fixed if needed
- Question mark regarding his ability against the short ball, especially with a tour down under this winter, seems to be predominantly a front foot player

tooextracool

International Coach
From what I've read he got through a tough period, so these runs definitely count imo.
Morkel's spell today was most certainly excellent so they weren't easy runs. Jennings actually does look compact in defense, it's really every time he offers a stroke, any stroke, that makes me cringe.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What are the rules regarding Philander bowling? He went off straight after his spell and hasn't been seen since. Does he have to back on the field the same length of time he was off it before he can bowl again?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Morkel's spell today was most certainly excellent so they weren't easy runs. Jennings actually does look compact in defense, it's really every time he offers a stroke, any stroke, that makes me cringe.
Yeah, he's just a very ugly batsman to watch. Make Cook look like Gower. Though, I guess if he grinds out thousands of runs, we will start appreciating his methods.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Heboric

International Debutant
Between SA plans for their own T20 franchises and daring to go against Ind regarding regarding sharing, I doubt whether we will get more than 2 Tests. Additionally Ind could be playing the Netherlands at home and would still full stadiums so why bother with more away series than they need.
Depends which stadiums, i have seen some pretty empty stadiums when there are tests in India

Im sure the BCCI doesnt care about bums on seats, look when they gave SA the IPL to host, turnout wasnt great.

Last edited: