• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

Marius

International Debutant
For SA it i relatively easy at the moment, Rabada in for Olivier. I can't see any other needed change, unless they wish to go Morris out for de Bruyn, but think that is unlikely. And the very unlikely change of Markram in for Kuhn. If that happened it would be Markram for a long while regardless of numbers, but they will probably give Kuhn at least this series.

SA play Bangladesh in Sept/Oct. Who are SA playing end of the year Dec/Jan? I know its Aus in Feb/March.
Yup, India are due to come for four Tests, and Aus for four Tests too.

However, I'm sure CSA will reduce the Test series to two Tests each, and replace them with 68 T20s.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yup, India are due to come for four Tests, and Aus for four Tests too.

However, I'm sure CSA will reduce the Test series to two Tests each, and replace them with 68 T20s.
I think the Aus tests are confirmed (assuming they have players to play!)... India will probably wait to the last minute and screw CSA over somehow....

SeamUp

International Coach
India always wait till last minute to confirm tours. Just say they pull out and Australia situation isn't sorted we could be in for a quiet summer :laugh:

SeamUp

International Coach
Chappelli

“One big difference between the first and second Tests was the presence of Faf du Plessis at the helm of the South African side.

“It’s no coincidence that that resulted in a much-improved performance from the team.

“Du Plessis is a hard-grafting cricketer, but a natural captain. He impressed with his leadership in South Africa’s series win in Australia, and his firm hand was again evident at Trent Bridge.

“Good captaincy is hard to define, but you know it when you see it.”

Dendarii

International Debutant
Wonder how the race averages are looking at the moment, because the last Test we were two short of the quota, and this Test we will probably be one short.
It depends from what point they count. If it's an average from when the quotas were first implemented then I think it's just two short as a result of the last test. However, they played six white players throughout the Champions Trophy, so that's even more short of the quota if they've reset the count.

Marius

International Debutant
It depends from what point they count. If it's an average from when the quotas were first implemented then I think it's just two short as a result of the last test. However, they played six white players throughout the Champions Trophy, so that's even more short of the quota if they've reset the count.
Good thing Oberstgruppenführer Mbalula has been moved to a new portfolio otherwise I'm sure the CSA selectors would have a one-way ticket to a re-education camp.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Maharaj is probably a better batsman than Duminy at the moment.

But, as others have said, re: the SA side, only change I see is Rabada coming in for Olivier.

Wonder how the race averages are looking at the moment, because the last Test we were two short of the quota, and this Test we will probably be one short.

Enter JP. :p

SeamUp

International Coach
Jp Duminy released from the squad. There are sufficient batting resources.

The end of his test career obviously.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jp Duminy released from the squad. There are sufficient batting resources.

The end of his test career obviously.
That is huge, particularly since Markram was the player originally to be sent home... that is pretty much end of Duminy Test career. Will see about his LO career.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
I bet the rules surrounding the quota are more lenient than we think

There's always a loophole
It's an average over the year. S.A. clearly targeting their best players in this series. They'll meet their quota by not picking Morkel or Morris in the home series with Bangladesh.

Marius

International Debutant
It's an average over the year. S.A. clearly targeting their best players in this series. They'll meet their quota by not picking Morkel or Morris in the home series with Bangladesh.
Or packing our T20 side with POCs, which has generally been the tactic.

Bahseph

International Debutant
A new sports minister helps. I think that transformation is clearly taking place and not at the detriment of the team so perhaps they will be lenient if they are slightly off.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I’m guessing JP Duminy will be back for SA’s next tour of Oz with Mark Taylor to yet again observe, “I can’t understand why he averages so low, he looks so good whenever I see him”.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dropping a player from a tour squad completely with no injury worry is an unusual move.

Bound to engender speculation. I suppose the two obvious shouts are an unreported misdemeanour or that he's going to Kolpak up.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Agree that there is likely to be something more to it. I mean he played an important role in the series win in Australia and had a pretty decent home summer. Sure, his NZ tour was average and he had a poor Test but omitting him from the tour seems very odd.