• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He fully deserves all the stick he continues to get for that - a display of more breathtaking selfishness there has never been - not even Boycs got close
Speaking of Sir Geoffrey I take it that he makes The Flair XI on the same grounds that Sunny makes the Blocker XI based solely on his innings in the 1965 Gillette Cup Final. :angel_not

Howe_zat

Audio File
I guessed the point of this was less to find the slowest and fastest scoring XIs of all time and more to split the usual suspects into two camps.

I think most people recognise that you don't score 10,000 test runs without a few shots

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Speaking of Sir Geoffrey I take it that he makes The Flair XI on the same grounds that Sunny makes the Blocker XI based solely on his innings in the 1965 Gillette Cup Final. :angel_not
If he'd had the prospect of Closey's bat up his back passage a bit more often I expect he'd have a completely different legacy

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I guessed the point of this was less to find the slowest and fastest scoring XIs of all time and more to split the usual suspects into two camps.

I think most people recognise that you don't score 10,000 test runs without a few shots
Are people with 10k runs the only players to choose from?

bagapath

International Captain
T20 side from players who have never played competitive T20 cricket

Barry Richards
Garry Sobers
Vivian Richards
Greame Pollock
Aravinda De Silva
Keith Miller
Ian Botham
Kapil Dev
Rod Marsh
Malcom Marshall
Clarrie Grimmett
From those you didn't select

Grace
Trumper
Hill
Hammond
G. Pollock
Stanley Jackson
Ames +
Gregory
Noble
Davidson
Benaud *

Slifer

International Captain
Who are the 'great' bowlers Smith has made his runs against in favourable conditions?

The only 'great' bowler of the last decade has been Dale Steyn, most supporters would say.
They may not be great bowlers overall but Smith did do very well in India vs India. Also, I seem to recall Smith also doing well vs a borderline great RSA attack in 2014 ( Steyn, Morkel, Philander) in RSA.

I've been guilty of this myself but underestimating this current generation of batsmen but Smith really is a different animal. Besides Tendulkar and a peak Ponting, I can't think of many great batsmen of the recent past who'd have the conversion rate, adaptability and high average that Smith does after a decent number of tests.

mr_mister

They may not be great bowlers overall but Smith did do very well in India vs India. Also, I seem to recall Smith also doing well vs a borderline great RSA attack in 2014 ( Steyn, Morkel, Philander) in RSA.

I've been guilty of this myself but underestimating this current generation of batsmen but Smith really is a different animal. Besides Tendulkar and a peak Ponting, I can't think of many great batsmen of the recent past who'd have the conversion rate, adaptability and high average that Smith does after a decent number of tests.
no dont you understand no modern batsman will ever live up to the greats from yesteryear even if they end up averaging far more because REASONS

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Who are the 'great' bowlers Smith has made his runs against in favourable conditions?

The only 'great' bowler of the last decade has been Dale Steyn, most supporters would say.
Dominated Ashwin and Jadeja in their own conditions.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Post 1975 Best Test XI vs Best ODI XI to play three tests and six ODIs against each other

TEST XI

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Lara
Kallis
Border
Imran (c)
Knott (wk)
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Lillee

ODI XI

Gilchrist (wk)
Tendulkar
Ponting
Viv Richards
AB De Villiers
Dhoni (c)
S.Pollock
Akram
Garner
Murali
McGrath

The ODI XI will lose all tests and may be one ODI, and finally win the series 5-4
The ODI XI is a brilliant test XI, only weak links are Dhoni and possibly Pollock. I think the test series will go 1-1 and the ODI 4-1.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Why is Shaun Pollock a weak link in a test XI? Guy was an absolute legend.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
On AB, I wonder what took him (relatively) long to get recognized as a monstrously talented player? I look at some old matches and go 'Oh AB was part of this match, I never noticed'! Examples - SA vs AUS 434 vs 438 match, India vs SA test where Sreesanth owned SA, and 2007 worldT20 India vs SA game where SA choked. He was nothing special for first 4-5 years, but given what he turned into, it feels odd that he was once a player that went somewhat unnoticed.

stephen

de Villiers looks much more out of place than Pollock if that was a test XI.
He's still averaging over 50 after over 100 tests which certainly makes him no slouch in the test department. He's probably among the top 20-30 test batsmen of all time.

Neither he nor Pollock are out of place in these lists but they are fractionally overshadowed by the other names on the list.

In any case the tests would not be one sided at all. The ODIs would. If the test team were given Gilly or Dhoni things would even up a bit but they'd need Ponting or Tendulkar to make a real difference.