• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Victor Ian

International Coach
You could always dispense with O'Reilly and take Border's left armers. I think if he had chosen to early, he could have been TOTAB with the ball as well.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Border could be said to be the second picked batsman against an AT bowling lineup because he was the best batsman in the world while actually having to face attacks filled with ATG bowlers.

That said, the number of ATG bowlers in Waugh's pomp was the same but they were distributed between more countries (WI, SA, Aus, Pak all had two or more ATG bowlers in that era) as opposed to the 80s where they were concentrated in the WI with Botham and Hadlee the only others of note in the era.

Ponting, great though he was never had to conquer an attack like that during his prime. It's unfortunate because he had the skills to handle them (as seen by some of his early knocks) but he never really sorted out his off-field issues until most of the greats were going or gone. Then his 50 test peak happened.

What makes Smith's current run so remarkable is that he was done it everywhere against some great bowlers in favorable conditions. Right now he's fighting it out for the #4 spot in my AT Aus XI with G Chappell.

Hayden
Trumper
Bradman
G Chappell / S Smith
S Waugh
Border
Gilchrist
Davidson
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Who are the 'great' bowlers Smith has made his runs against in favourable conditions?

The only 'great' bowler of the last decade has been Dale Steyn, most supporters would say.

Gob

International Coach
I think Border could be said to be the second picked batsman against an AT bowling lineup because he was the best batsman in the world while actually having to face attacks filled with ATG bowlers.

That said, the number of ATG bowlers in Waugh's pomp was the same but they were distributed between more countries (WI, SA, Aus, Pak all had two or more ATG bowlers in that era) as opposed to the 80s where they were concentrated in the WI with Botham and Hadlee the only others of note in the era.

Ponting, great though he was never had to conquer an attack like that during his prime. It's unfortunate because he had the skills to handle them (as seen by some of his early knocks) but he never really sorted out his off-field issues until most of the greats were going or gone. Then his 50 test peak happened.

What makes Smith's current run so remarkable is that he was done it everywhere against some great bowlers in favorable conditions. Right now he's fighting it out for the #4 spot in my AT Aus XI with G Chappell.

Hayden
Trumper
Bradman
G Chappell / S Smith
S Waugh
Border
Gilchrist
Davidson
Warne
Lillee
McGrath
As much as I love the bloke, lets just wait a little longer

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Victoria

Bill Lawry
Bill Woodfull
Neil Harvey
Lindsay Hassett
Bill Ponsford
Wawrick Armstrong *
Jack Blackham +
Hugh Trumble
Shane Warne
Merv Hughes
Bill Johnston

Dean Jones

New South Wales

Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Stan McCabe
Steve Smith
Steve Waugh *
Keith Miller
Alan Davidson
Bert Oldfield +
Ray Lindwall
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

Richie Benaud

Red

I'm pretty sure that Bradman would be a better pick than McCabe for an AT NSW side.
When I pick them I pick them with the state sides I associate them with (which is also the ones they played the most with).

Hence Bradman is a South Australian, and Border is a Qld'er, and Gilly is a WA'ian.

All technically could qualify for NSW but I consider them to belong to other states.

Red

Queensland

Matthew Hayden
Bill Brown
Martin Love
Allan Border *
Stuart Law
Andrew Symonds
Ken Mackay
Don Tallon/Ian Healy +
Ryan Harris
Craig McDermott
Jeff Thomson

bagapath

International Captain
Post 1975 Best Test XI vs Best ODI XI to play three tests and six ODIs against each other

TEST XI

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Lara
Kallis
Border
Imran (c)
Knott (wk)
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Lillee

ODI XI

Gilchrist (wk)
Tendulkar
Ponting
Viv Richards
AB De Villiers
Dhoni (c)
S.Pollock
Akram
Garner
Murali
McGrath

The ODI XI will lose all tests and may be one ODI, and finally win the series 5-4

stephen

When I pick them I pick them with the state sides I associate them with (which is also the ones they played the most with).

Hence Bradman is a South Australian, and Border is a Qld'er, and Gilly is a WA'ian.

All technically could qualify for NSW but I consider them to belong to other states.
Which is strange because I associate Lindwall with Queensland.

stephen

Post 1975 Best Test XI vs Best ODI XI to play three tests and six ODIs against each other

TEST XI

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Lara
Kallis
Border
Imran (c)
Knott (wk)
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Lillee

ODI XI

Gilchrist (wk)
Tendulkar
Ponting
Viv Richards
AB De Villiers
Dhoni (c)
S.Pollock
Akram
Garner
Murali
McGrath

The ODI XI will lose all tests and may be one ODI, and finally win the series 5-4
I'd be surprised if the ODI side lost tbh. Their batting looks as good as if not better than the test side and the bowling is only slightly worse (with Pollock being the "weak" link).

Shri

Mr. Glass
Test XIs to compete on turners:

Flair XI

Virender Sehwag
Matthew Hayden
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Kevin Pietersen
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni
Shakib al Hasan