• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Cheers guys. Yeah, it felt a little funny to bypass Sobers like that. But the more and more I began to compare the two the more I became convinced that Headley was the man. If someone were to mirror the feats of Headley in today's game, basically we would have had something like a Bangladeshi batsman who debuted 2000, and averaged 70 at Test level (inflated average due to the advent of better quality bats, shorter boundaries, covered wickets & protective gear).

However, if Sir Garfield was in Headley's position and played in the 30's I have no doubt that he would have been just as dominant and could have carried the batting like Headley did. Both batsman were very attacking players, and I guess Sobers could be considered better than Headley because he received the glowing endorsement from the Don, who rated Sobers' innings of 254 at the MCG in 1972 as the greatest ever innings. But then again, we must remember that Don Bradman wouldn't have seen Headley playing most of the time.

If only we had more footage of Headley in existence.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Lara is the greatest batsman I have seen. So I am gonna deduct points for Jimmy basically making him a footnote there. :p

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Lara is the greatest batsman I have seen. So I am gonna deduct points for Jimmy basically making him a footnote there. :p
If we're talking the last 25-30 years, depends what day of the week you ask me whether it's Ponting, Lara, Sachin, Kallis or Sanga...

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sachin is the best and most consistent in all conditions against all opponents, and IMO is therefore best of the lot post Viv.

Lara my favorite though.

bagapath

International Captain
For Tests

India All Time Test XI

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Hazare
Kapil Dev
Dhoni + *
Srinath
Prasanna
Bedi
Chandra

India All Time Second XI

Merchant
Gambhir
Viswanath
Kohli
Ganguly *
Mankad
Kirmani +
Kumble
Zaheer
Amar Singh
Gupte

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Left Over XI

Sidhu
Pujara
Vengsarkar
Umrigar *
Laxman
Ashwin
R.Jadeja
More (wk)
I.K. Pathan
Harbhajan
Ghavri

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Cheers guys. Yeah, it felt a little funny to bypass Sobers like that. But the more and more I began to compare the two the more I became convinced that Headley was the man. If someone were to mirror the feats of Headley in today's game, basically we would have had something like a Bangladeshi batsman who debuted 2000, and averaged 70 at Test level (inflated average due to the advent of better quality bats, shorter boundaries, covered wickets & protective gear).

However, if Sir Garfield was in Headley's position and played in the 30's I have no doubt that he would have been just as dominant and could have carried the batting like Headley did. Both batsman were very attacking players, and I guess Sobers could be considered better than Headley because he received the glowing endorsement from the Don, who rated Sobers' innings of 254 at the MCG in 1972 as the greatest ever innings. But then again, we must remember that Don Bradman wouldn't have seen Headley playing most of the time.

If only we had more footage of Headley in existence.
Bear in mind that Headley's (pre-war) average was boosted by the weakened attacks England picked against WI, especially in tours of the WI: e.g. in his debut series the England bowlers were Voce (20, on his Test debut), Haig, Rhodes (52), Stevens, Astill (none of whom played in the Ashes series the next summer); in the 1935 series the principal England bowlers were Farnes, Smith (debut), Hollies (debut), Paine (debut) and Wyatt.

If you exclude those Tests - i.e. just consider his matches in England/Australia between the wars - his average was about 50. Which FWIW is pretty much the same as Sobers' average in England/Australia.

Chrish

International Debutant
How can you reasonably make a case for Headley? He faced 2nd rate English bowling attacks and the quality of bowling he faced in the FC circuit is questionable. Can't find any reasonable argument that justifies his place in the company of Viv, Sobers etc

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't say the English attacks he faced were 2nd rate. Most of his tons vs England came when some combination of Verity/Rhodes/Voce/Farnes played. All pretty damn good bowlers of that era.

Also, he carried an awful batting lineup basically on his own.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Barbados

G. Greenidge
C. Hunte
F. Worrell *
E. Weekes
C. Walcott
G. Sobers
D. Murray +
M. Marshall
C. Griffith
W. Hall
J. Garner

12th- D. Haynes

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
NSW:

Trumper
Simpson
Bradman
Clarke
S Waugh*
Miller
Haddin+
Davidson
O'Reilly
Spofforth / MacGill (pitch dependent)
McGrath

QLD
Hayden
Brown
G Chappell
Border
Walters
Love
Healy+
Harris
Lindwall
Thompson
Johnson

Blistering pace attack and AB can be our spin option.

the big bambino

International Captain
Put Lindwall back in a blue cap where he belongs please.

Actually make them give back Walters, Border and Chappell.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
NSW:

Trumper
Simpson
Bradman
Clarke
S Waugh*
Miller
Haddin+
Davidson
O'Reilly
Spofforth / MacGill (pitch dependent)
McGrath

QLD
Hayden
Brown
G Chappell
Border
Walters
Love
Healy+
Harris
Lindwall
Thompson
Johnson

Blistering pace attack and AB can be our spin option.
Bertt Lee tbh