• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

viriya

International Captain
Stoinis' innings will almost certainly end up in the top 25 ODI all-time. Basically the modern-day equivalent to Kapil Dev's 175* (#1 in the list) just without the win.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thats casual fans for you. I had my brother in law watching the end if the game with me and he was going off........reckoned Haze had one job to do and ****ed it up. Didnt get that his job there and then was to get down the other end cos Stoinis was gonna be coming no matter what.
Nope

Stoinis wasnt running and Haze could have played out a maiden at that stage and Oz still could have walked it

He had a brain snap

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haze really did have one job to do, though: not get out.
His job was to get Stoinis on strike. I can't see how there's any culpability on Haze - if Stoinis drops one at his feet, he's expected to get down the other end. As it happens, Stoinis hits one straight to a fielder who is adjacent to the non-striker's stumps. **** happens, not everything has to have blame apportioned to it in life.

It's often the way we analyse sport, the final moment is the one that gets the most attention. When it's actually Starc who deserves the most criticism for trying to be a hero, when all he needed to do was get off strike himself. But the little man on his shoulder said 'be a hero Mitchell!'

Xena

Cricket Spectator
Black Caps Rule

I didn't get to see the whole game as it was the middle of the night here in Europe but certainly Stoinis' innings looks impressive. Hazelwood's innings stands out too, lol.]/

Cricket isn't life or death. It's much more important.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
His job was to get Stoinis on strike. I can't see how there's any culpability on Haze - if Stoinis drops one at his feet, he's expected to get down the other end. As it happens, Stoinis hits one straight to a fielder who is adjacent to the non-striker's stumps. **** happens, not everything has to have blame apportioned to it in life.

It's often the way we analyse sport, the final moment is the one that gets the most attention. When it's actually Starc who deserves the most criticism for trying to be a hero, when all he needed to do was get off strike himself. But the little man on his shoulder said 'be a hero Mitchell!'
Oh, I fully agree. It's just funny that Haze Had One Job, didn't face a ball, and still got out.

Burner

International Regular
These chases almost never happen, do they? This 'team comes back from the dead' scenarios always pan out the same way. They come close and as soon as their win probability goes from nil to reasonable **** goes upside down. Can't recall any instance of a team having success.

Spark

Global Moderator
These chases almost never happen, do they? This 'team comes back from the dead' scenarios always pan out the same way. They come close and as soon as their win probability goes from nil to reasonable **** goes upside down. Can't recall any instance of a team having success.
Mathews/Malinga at the MCG in 2010.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure Faulkner smashed the Aussies to a win from nowhere at the GABBA in 2014 against my lot too.

BeeGee

International Captain
If you're going to blame any one individual for failing to support Stoinis, it has to be Starc. To get out swinging when there's a bloke at the other end playing an ATG knock is atrocious. All he had to do was keep his wicket intact and Australia win.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Starc's dismissal was a disgrace but in hindsight Starc going out made the innings so much better because Stoinis would have taken singles with Starc there. But with Haze he literally did not let him face a ball, was going to be stuff of legend if he got them across the line. Bloody Haze, wahhhh.

EggsOnToast

Cricket Spectator
Placing the onus on Starc (or Haze for that matter) seems strange to me. Perhaps the top six could have manufactured another half a dozen runs, we might be having a very different conversation. **** happens when you leave a modicum of responsibility to the tail. Oh and those extras..