• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slifer

International Captain
Oz winning in India won't offset the white wash they got in SL or the loss at home to RSA. So no, an Oz win in India (highly unlikely but not impossible) will not automatically make OZ #1.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
But you'd have to factor in an Australia improvement (since Sri Lanka) if Oz prevailed in India. The fact that South Africa are even being discussed as potential 'best' is that we see their defeat of Australia somehow signalling an improvement since their own home defeat at the hands of England.

PS

The arsehole falling out of Pakistan slightly simplifies matters.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia did win against NZ home and away TBF, won in SA, and managed to win two Tests in England, which is more than what most teams manage. They'd have an argument if they won this series and in India.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Whoever goes to India and comes away with something (even a close run draw would be impressive) is probably going to be your number one. Conversely, if India beat South Africa in 2018, they are number one. Right now, all we have is a team with a great home record but little to show touring wise, and three contenders.

If Australia win the Ashes, England, Australia and South Africa would have cancelled each other out!!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Australia also have a great home record. Perth was the first time in 4 years any team won a Test in Australia. New Zealand in 2011 are the last team other than South Africa to win there.

It's not quite as good as India's home record (think only England in 2012 and possibly South Africa at some point have taken Tests off them this decade) but it's still pretty formidable.

I still say people are over-rating South Africa. They put up a performance as pathetic as any by Australia when touring Asia when they were last in India (and no, they don't get a free pass because the pitches were difficult) and got soundly beaten at home by England less than 12 months ago.

Slifer

International Captain
Australia also have a great home record. Perth was the first time in 4 years any team won a Test in Australia. New Zealand in 2011 are the last team other than South Africa to win there.

It's not quite as good as India's home record (think only England in 2012 and possibly South Africa at some point have taken Tests off them this decade) but it's still pretty formidable.

I still say people are over-rating South Africa. They put up a performance as pathetic as any by Australia when touring Asia when they were last in India (and no, they don't get a free pass because the pitches were difficult) and got soundly beaten at home by England less than 12 months ago.
Australia really should've been whitewashed at home to RSA TBF. And that was against a South African team missing its two best players. So as much as u talk about RSAS loss to England at home, they easily rolled Australia in Australia. If Oz somehow manage a draw or better in India, then we'll just have a congested bunch of teams at number 1. There's no way Oz can be considered as such (indisputably) no matter what they do in India.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
hang on, we can't be jerking off to them winning in australia at less than full strength and then be excusing them when they lose to england at less than full strength. especially when england's leading bowler was broken too.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
I read these kinds of threads and realise I'm wasting my intellectual proficiency in useless forums. I need to find a better way to make use of my intellect.

Zinzan

hang on, we can't be jerking off to them winning in australia at less than full strength and then be excusing them when they lose to england at less than full strength. especially when england's leading bowler was broken too.
Not getting your logic here, of course you can pardon SA a little for not having their two premier bowlers Steyn & Philander against England, whilst at the same time giving them massive bouquets for beating Australia in their backyard without AB & Steyn.

Strange logic.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Beating South Africa in South Africa without them having neither of their Top 2 world leading bowlers, Steyn & Philandar, is like playing 00's Australia without McGrath & Warne.
(For eg, in 2003-04, India of all teams 'almost' won the Test series in Australia with Aus not having their world leading bowlers... in McGrath & Warne.)

So SA's series defeat at home is not even half as bad as it otherwise would've been.

The dominance of Steyn & Philander at 'home' cannot be overstated! Easily an ATG pair at Home, at the very least.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why?

Your Anderson point is fine, but everything before that isn't right. Its perfectly reasonable.

Zinzan

Honestly think two recent overseas series flattered to deceive, and really confuse where people think the teams are currently.

One is England's victory in SA, with SA down their best two bowlers. & the other is Pakistan's drawn series in England.

I watched that Pak/Eng series intently & honestly feel Pakistan played well above themselves and were damn lucky to tour England late in the season which meant they got some wickets that actually really suited them. On the wickets that were a little more typically English, they got thrashed if IIRC, and doubt they would have stood a chance on the sort of wickets SL faced earlier in the series.

I also think England were massively below par by their own standards. It's not to take Pakistan's series draw away from them, but it really did give some a false sense of security that they were a lot better at the moment in time than was really the case imho.