• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's all subjective but:

a. Steyn is currently injured and bowled like crap in his only outing in Oz - obviously great bowler though;

b. Anderson's inclusion would only be warranted in a couple of countries and I'd probably prefer Broad these days anyway;

c. Rabada is a real talent but is just a kid; and

d. Philander see Anderson

Could probably come up with 10 different combinations of the bowlers mentioned and subject to conditions, none would be definitely wrong
All fair enough. I suppose my only point is there's only 2 dead certs from Australia who would make my current world Test XI, but plenty of cricketers who'd be in the discussion from many countries.

Also, if you're going to hold it against bowlers who only perform in certain conditions, wouldn't you also do the same with Batsmen and leave Warner out for the reason, given he averages 58 at home and just 35 away?

I'd personally include both Warner and Smith, but if one was following that sort of "having to perform in multiple countries" philosophy, it would kind of rule Warner out and you'd probably pick a Vijay to partner Cook.

Last edited:

Daemon

Steyn came back very, very strongly on Day 2 of that 1st test before getting injured

Zinzan

Steyn came back very, very strongly on Day 2 of that 1st test before getting injured
Yeah it seems weird and quite selective that people want to judge him on effectively one evenings bowling only after how brilliantly he was bowling vs. NZ in that short series in August after his comeback.

indiaholic

International Captain
Heh people were just baffled by the tactics I think... Almost like Steyn wanted to prove that he could knock off people's heads rather than take wickets.

OverratedSanity

The problem was with SA's tactics, as in what Steyn was bowling rather than how. Once they realized how stupid the short ball tactic was and started pitching it up, Steyn looked superb.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

That post was also a bit harsh on Philander. He's now done superbly in SA, England, Australia and bowled extremely well in uae too. Even the little he bowled in India, he looked good. That's certainly not just two countries.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I'd probably go something like,

1. India
2. South Africa (impressive rebound after their defeat in England) / England (Still a very talented side despite events in India)
3. Australia (oh dear!)
4. Pakistan (yes but NZ in UAE?) / N.Z
5. Sri Lanka

According to the future tours thingy India do not face a stern away series until 2018 (v S.A), unless I have misread! It is alright being fortress India and never touring but you'll never know how good you really are.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think England losing to India isn't an issue as I don't think any team would beat them, but the fact this has come off the back of them drawing Bangladesh 1-1 (and they almost lost the first test too) makes it difficult to have them #1.

S.Kennedy

Yes, 2015/16, Ashes, South Africa away, this new exiting 'McCullumesque' England looked poised to be the best Test team and instead they have gone backwards beginning with the home Pakistan draw. They struggle with Asian sides - especially Pakistan; don't forget that twice England have gone to the UAE, and twice they have come away defeated.

Bijed

International Regular
We certainly don't feel like a No.1 side, and I don't think we are, but you can probably make convincing arguments as to why we're better than each other team individually. In most cases, though, there's probably a decent argument the other way too. Basically it's subjective and tough to call.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
After England's rather embarrassing innings defeat after winning the toss and batting first on a dry wicket taken turn, and their subsequent series loss, with a match remaining, can we all now agree that as of this moment there's only two serious contenders for best current Test side, those being India and SA?
Remind me how South Africa did in India.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wouldn't say England are going backwards. on paper England have the best XI in world cricket at the moment.

Cricket isn't played on paper though, and the reality is that as talented as the XI is, the batting is also wildly inconsistent, which is why England lose a lot more games than the teams round about them. If the batting starts to perform more convincingly then England will be a tough side to beat in most conditions. Probably not Asia though they weren't a million miles away from winning the 1st Tests in both the UAE and India (and who knows how the rest of the series goes if that happens)

Bijed

International Regular
I wouldn't say England are going backwards. on paper England have the best XI in world cricket at the moment.

Cricket isn't played on paper though, and the reality is that as talented as the XI is, the batting is also wildly inconsistent, which is why England lose a lot more games than the teams round about them. If the batting starts to perform more convincingly then England will be a tough side to beat in most conditions. Probably not Asia though they weren't a million miles away from winning the 1st Tests in both the UAE and India (and who knows how the rest of the series goes if that happens)
Probably fair - frustrating as it is that we so often don't perform I don't think it's too much of a stretch that we're a team that could quickly become the best. Whether that will ever happen, though...

Zinzan

I wouldn't say England are going backwardson paper England have the best XI in world cricket at the moment.

Lol, No they aren't. They probably have the deepest batting line-up in the world, but that doesn't categorically make them the best side on paper. They have Moeen Ali batting at numbers 4 or 5, averaging 32, Stokes who bats 5 or 6 averaging 34. Take a look at some of the averages of other middle orders around the world at the moment.

I actually think England are up there if we're talking purely non-SC conditions, probably slightly behind SA in the bowling department, even if they might bat a little longer, but not sure how you can categorically say they're the best side on paper going around. Well I can actually, you're a one-eyed English supporter. :p

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah hard to disagree, if Hameed and Jennings really establish themselves then maybe but way too many doubts about the batting right now and then you have the spin issues. You can probably say the same about SA, should be a really good series next year.

India have to be on top right now, of course that is partly down to the fact they are in middle of a really long home season but they look pretty much unbeatable at home and nobody else does.

S.Kennedy

Messy batting selection/order and piss poor spinners. Sort those two things out and they would be undisputed test kings. Not sure but Cook's captaincy either; he certainly has the dressing room, but has the habit of allowing games to drift.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Lol, No they aren't. They probably have the deepest batting line-up in the world
I will give that to India as well, very capable batsmen till 9 and the 10 and Jack are more capable of hitting sixes compared to their English counterparts.