• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After England's rather embarrassing innings defeat after winning the toss and batting first on a dry wicket taken turn, and their subsequent series loss, with a match remaining, can we all now agree that as of this moment there's only two serious contenders for best current Test side, those being India and SA?
I don't think you can say that, because such is the state of cricket atm that if India was touring England, won the toss on a green seamer and bowled first, they'd probably get hammered by an innings. I think India, England, SA are the contenders right now. India by virtue of their most recent record probably shading it.

I think Pakistan are just behind those three. If they beat Australia here this summer they'll be right back in the argument.

Zinzan

Amazing how quickly Pakistan went from probably the best to not in the argument. They hadn't lost a series for like 2 years or something right? Now they got hammered by NZ and if they're hammered by Australia too then they're a mile off it.

2-2 in Eng seems a long time ago.
Some of us weren't that convinced by Pakistan, it was just weird timing in my opinion where other strong sides were beating each-other & Pakistan credit to them managed that draw in England.

I hope I'm not taking anything away from Pakistan in saying they have to be the weakest side to ever make it to no.1 since the rankings started. If you actually look at their squad man for man, they're really not that good IMHO.

What other side in the world would come to NZ after just making it to no.1 and then go on to get thrashed comprehensively 2-0 by a relatively weak NZ team?

Zinzan

I don't think you can say that, because such is the state of cricket atm that if India was touring England, won the toss on a green seamer and bowled first, they'd probably get hammered by an innings. I think India, England, SA are the contenders right now. India by virtue of their most recent record probably shading it.

I think Pakistan are just behind those three. If they beat Australia here this summer they'll be right back in the argument.
Honestly mate, with the dramatic improvement of pacers Shami and B Kumar in recent times, the batting of the likes of Kohli (who admittedly hasn't performed in England, but we all know he's good enough too & it's only a matter of time) & Rahane & Vijay who can bat well outside of the SC, I can honestly see them giving England a sterner test in England's backyard than England have done in India, especially if they won 2-3 crucial tosses on green spicy wickets as you point out.

On Pakistan, trust me mate, they're not even going to come close to beating Australia, in fact unless they're roads like the NZ Perth test last year, I can't even see those tests going into the 5th day.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I hope I'm not taking anything away from Pakistan in saying they have to be the weakest side to ever make it to no.1 since the rankings started. If you actually look at their squad man for man, they're really not that good IMHO.
I said that to someone recently actually. On paper they are, but then the person came back and said "what about Australia this year?"

Was interesting. After making #1 didn't they get smoked 3-0 by Lanka and then get bopped by Saffers at home in embarrassing fashion?

Last edited:

Zinzan

I said that to someone recently actually. On paper they are, but then the person came back and said "what about Australia this year?"

Was interesting. After making #1 didn't they get smoked 3-0 by Lanka and then get bopped by Saffers in embarrassing fashion?
Were Aust number one going into that SL series? If so, they have to be right up there with Pakistan as the weakest no.1 sides since the ranking started.

Burgey

Honestly mate, with the dramatic improvement of pacers Shami and B Kumar in recent times, the batting of the likes of Kohli (who admittedly hasn't performed in England, but we all know he's good enough too & it's only a matter of time) & Rahane & Vijay who can bat well outside of the SC, I can honestly see them giving England a sterner test in England's backyard than England have done in India, especially if they won 2-3 crucial tosses on green spicy wickets as you point out.

On Pakistan, trust me mate, they're not even going to come close to beating Australia, in fact unless they're roads like the NZ Perth test last year, I can't even see those tests going into the 5th day.

I know where you're coming from, but I've seen enough Indian pacers to know these two will revert to mean Indian pacer type within 18 months. It's the way of it.

I hope you're right about Pakistan, but I can see them upending Australia. Both teams very suspect batting-wise.

Burgey

Were Aust number one going into that SL series? If so, they have to be right up there with Pakistan as the weakest no.1 sides since the ranking started.
I think Pakistan had overtaken them after the England tour, but Australia hadn't played between getting the number one slot and losing to SL.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oz is such a rocks and diamonds lineup

On paper, there are at least 4 players that make a case for inclusion in a world XI plus you could throw Khawaja into the mix for games outside Asia

But then you have the rocks and these arent the garden variety rock - they are the **** covered rocks that have been fermenting at the bottom of a septic tank for 50 years

Bottom line is that you wont win too many matches with 4 or 5 players

Zinzan

Oz is such a rocks and diamonds lineup

On paper, there are at least 4 players that make a case for inclusion in a world XI plus you could throw Khawaja into the mix for games outside Asia

But then you have the rocks and these arent the garden variety rock - they are the **** covered rocks that have been fermenting at the bottom of a septic tank for 50 years

Bottom line is that you wont win too many matches with 4 or 5 players
Sorry who are the at least 4 who make a world Test XI atm? Warner, Smith & who else?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haze is under rated as **** overall across larger the cricketing community I think. Such a solid reliable bowler with so many skills and a great temperament.

Zinzan

Said make a case not definite

I'd say Starc and Hazelwood would be in with a shout
Ok, I suppose there's quite a few bowlers around who'd make the discussion, fair enough.

For me, Steyn Anderson Rabada and Philander would be my pace attack with the likes Broad, Starc, Hazel, Abbott & Boult being the next cabs off the ranks.

Zinzan

Haze is under rated as **** overall across larger the cricketing community I think. Such a solid reliable bowler with so many skills and a great temperament.
I haven't look enough at his performances outside the likes of Aust, NZ & Eng to comment too much about Hazel, but his bowling suits Aussie decks with the extra bounce, for sure.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ok, I suppose there's quite a few bowlers around who'd make the discussion, fair enough.

For me, Steyn Anderson Rabada and Philander would be my pace attack with the likes Broad, Starc, Hazel, Abbott & Boult being the next cabs off the ranks.
Nice bowling attack, but 4 pacers? Ashwin as the spinner batting at 6?

vcs

Rabada hasn't done enough just yet to make a World XI. Steyn also wouldn't make a Current World XI. It's probably fair to only consider performances within a year's timeframe. He's just not been able to stay fit. :(

Zinzan

Rabada hasn't done enough just yet to make a World XI. Steyn also wouldn't make a Current World XI. It's probably fair to only consider performances within a year's timeframe. He's just not been able to stay fit. :(
I'd pick him mate. After the way he bowled against NZ (admittedly a weak batting line-up), he was just out of this world. He's still my very first bowling pick in choosing a world XI provided he's fit.

And I would select Rabada this early, that's how much he's impressed me. If not him, Broad would probably be next in line, especially in English conditions.

Hazel and Starc would probably make my 2nd XI though, along side the likes of Boult and Abbott as a 4-pronged pace attack,

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

It's all subjective but:

a. Steyn is currently injured and bowled like crap in his only outing in Oz - obviously great bowler though;

b. Anderson's inclusion would only be warranted in a couple of countries and I'd probably prefer Broad these days anyway;

c. Rabada is a real talent but is just a kid; and

d. Philander see Anderson

Could probably come up with 10 different combinations of the bowlers mentioned and subject to conditions, none would be definitely wrong