• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeh apologies, that was piss poor posting from me. I'm fine now, just looking forward to a Root double and a rear guard 50 from Jimmeh.

You'll probably think this is bollocks, but I genuinely found them a bit meh. I was there the first day of the 3rd test, I've never known an Edgbaston crowd so subdued. Don't get me wrong I was happy that we were playing so well. In contrast I was at the 5th day of the Lords test, which was one of the best days cricket I've ever seen live, in easily the best atmosphere I've experienced at Lords, probably due to the thousands of Indian fans who queued up to get in.
I was also there that day and don't remember it being that subdued. Even if it were then I'm going to just throw it out there that the atmosphere was linked to the fact that we were in the middle of a load of ****ing riots, including one in Birmingham the previous night.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
will have been about 7 days since news of Shami's leg by the time the next test starts, any chance he'll be fit?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
will have been about 7 days since news of Shami's leg by the time the next test starts, any chance he'll be fit?
He should be but I have no worries. Bhuvi for Shami is not a downgrade at all. Also, the next 2 pitches will be turners.

Shri

Mr. Glass
He should be but I have no worries. Bhuvi for Shami is not a downgrade at all. Also, the next 2 pitches will be turners.
Not enough sunshine in Chennai to prepare a turner imo. We have been getting frequent showers and the skies have been overcast over the past week.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not enough sunshine in Chennai to prepare a turner imo. We have been getting frequent showers and the skies have been overcast over the past week.
Ah, Chennai. The place where the sun don't shine. :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah but sometimes the under prepared wickets are the best ones for spinners. And I think the relaid wicket has not had the same bounce the old one used to. So I think spinners might still enjoy this one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Luke Alfred on Keaton Jennings' call-up to the England squad and how he was coached by his father | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Interesting story there. Looks like Keaton and his dad "decided" he should try and get into England rather than South Africa because there was "so much talent up ahead" in South Africa. Given that most English posters seem to be ok with guys from other countries playing for England coz "England is where they developed as cricketers", what would that mean in this case? Clearly the guy lead RSA Under 19 and was obviously coached well within RSA.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Luke Alfred on Keaton Jennings' call-up to the England squad and how he was coached by his father | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Interesting story there. Looks like Keaton and his dad "decided" he should try and get into England rather than South Africa because there was "so much talent up ahead" in South Africa. Given that most English posters seem to be ok with guys from other countries playing for England coz "England is where they developed as cricketers", what would that mean in this case? Clearly the guy lead RSA Under 19 and was obviously coached well within RSA.
I'll probably end up being pragmatic about it. This is very different to guys like the Meaker and Currans coming to England when they were young boys, and I'm not entirely comfortable.
I suppose it's similar to what happened with Jonathan Trott, who, I think, had also played for the SA U19s, and I didn't complain much when he had those very good few seasons for us before Johnson found him out.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What does Duckett's future look like? He could still play at number 4 away from the subcontinent. Or will they go for someone else? Is there anyone else? Surely not Buttler.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'll probably end up being pragmatic about it. This is very different to guys like the Meaker and Currans coming to England when they were young boys, and I'm not entirely comfortable.
I suppose it's similar to what happened with Jonathan Trott, who, I think, had also played for the SA U19s, and I didn't complain much when he had those very good few seasons for us before Johnson found him out.

Its just interesting that people are choosing the country they are more likely to play international cricket with. I suppose for all the jingoism and misplaced nationalism that goes on with cricket (and perhaps all sport), its kinda feels funny that we need to get used to the fact that these guys are gonna make decisions like choosing jobs, careers, companies etc. And with more and more franchise T20 cricket, and with Sutherland already proposing to cut down tests (and Manohar basically being the anti BCCI voice in ICC), we will be getting used to such occurrences more and more. Too bad the sort of test cricket we all know and love may not even be there in the next 2 or 3 years. :(