• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Faf's declaration looking not-too-influential now. Suppose it would be nice to have Warner smash a few in the morning, but I'll take runs by any method really.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Between World War II and Tahir have any other wrist spinners played for South Africa?

Denys Hobson might have but for isolation.

The first wrist spinner that played in Tests for SA before Tahir that I can think of is Xenophon Balaskas, who played just before WWII started.
Does Paul Adams count?

Starfighter

Between World War II and Tahir have any other wrist spinners played for South Africa?

The first wrist spinner that played in Tests for SA before Tahir that I can think of is Xenophon Balaskas, who played just before WWII started.
Paul Adams might count, but not sure in that one.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

What was Adams, he was a frog in a blender and bowled pies but wasn't he a wrist spinner?

stephen

Renshaw's technique may be exposed a little at the top level with the way he moves across the stumps, but even if it is, he's got plenty of years of test match cricket ahead of him if he applies himself. Old school opener.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Personally i think the declaration was brilliant. Faf has nothing to lose, even if Australia score 500 i dont think it will be such a big deal, we can just blame our top order then... and even if we lose its still 2-1... but the reward is delicious 3-0 including and innings defeat and a first day declaration will be bloody amazing and humiliating.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Clive van Ryneveld was a leg spinning allrounder.
Yeah, but I think he was in the team for his batting, more than his bowling.

Just bought his autobiography which I'm looking forward to reading. Served as an MP for the Progressives, who opposed apartheid, so an interesting fellow I think.

Burgey

Renshaw's technique may be exposed a little at the top level with the way he moves across the stumps, but even if it is, he's got plenty of years of test match cricket ahead of him if he applies himself. Old school opener.
You'll probably find his movements were pretty exaggerated tonight. Taylor mentioned something along those lines in comms and it makes sense.

Good luck to him. Tough time to open. He did well, played late and didn't push away from his body.

OverratedSanity

I'm usually one of the first ones to tear my hear out about premature declarations, but if ever there was a time when an early declaration was a worthwhile gamble, it was today.

TheJediBrah

Faf what a genius declaration

he's so brave
lol yeah

People taking it a bit overboard. It was pretty much what I'd bet 90% of people expected to happen, the commentators were talking it up all day as well, as they did in last years day night test as well.

Definitely an interesting move, but hardly a stroke of genius