• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA fans absolutely not unique in spitting the lolly about this, tbh.

Regardless of punishment (I think he should've missed a Test, it's a clear breaking of the rules and apparently his previous indiscretion is too long ago to count? Weird.) the South Africans have been pork chops about this whole thing. The boys in arms media conference with Amla was the worst. Why try to play circus games with the Australian media, when they host the most amount of clowns per head in any industry anywhere in the world?
There are plenty of good reasons for a team to play up the us vs The World angle, is my read on it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well we will see what happens to Golden Boy Kohli - see if anything is done with him
He's been fined plenty of times?

I mean Faf didn't even cop a ban despite this being the second time he was caught. Did you want there to be absolutely no punishment at all?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah i suppose you cant blame them when we keep seeing certain other players getting away with it or threaten to cancel tours if someone dares to call out some of their players.
Yeah, but South Africa are well loved, so no question of persecution. Could argue selective prosecution at best.

Heboric

International Debutant
Yeah, but South Africa are well loved, so no question of persecution. Could argue selective prosecution at best.
Not saying we are innocent .

But we dont threaten to cancel tours, because one of our players are being called out.

StephenZA

I`m happy for Faf to appeal this not because I don`t think he should be fined/suspended but clarity needs to be sorted on this issue.

As Jason Gillespie said, "It's a tough one because in the laws of the game it says, technically, no one should be able to have anything in their mouth on the ground. You shouldn't be able to have any lollies, chewing gum, anything. I mean how far do we want to go? You can't have a Gatorade or whatever power drink they have because it's got sugar in it. So everyone, just drink water. Where do you want to go with it?"
There is a continues use of boiled sweets, mints, chewing gum and lip balm used to help shine the ball (effective or not)... if they want to clamp down on this I`m fine with that, what I would not be happy with is that Faf gets punished and the practise continued. It must be made clear to the players, this will no longer be tolerated and the umpire, match referees and ICC will be watching.

Son Of Coco

I think the only way to solve this once and for all is to get Faf over to the University of Western Australia, stick these things all over him, and assess his lolly sucking bio-mechanically. More than 15 degrees of flexion in his tongue and it's off for remedial work.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
I don't agree with life ban, but the arrogance displayed when obviously caught ball tampering is amazing...showing mint in mouth to media at airport, really? Having Amla fiasco media session? ...such actions should result in some sort of ban...maybe ban team from Aus so they don't beat us anymore ;)

Marius

International Debutant
I don't agree with life ban, but the arrogance displayed when obviously caught ball tampering is amazing...showing mint in mouth to media at airport, really? Having Amla fiasco media session? ...such actions should result in some sort of ban...maybe ban team from Aus so they don't beat us anymore ;)
As someone said upthread, the way Faf is acting is actually great, hamming it up for the Aussie media.

It's good to have someone with a bit of a character in cricket. I love AB but he would have handled this completely differently (he probably wouldn't tamper with the ball either to be fair).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Particularly disturbing is the SA fans' reaction of 'ohh we are always prosecuted, nobody likes us boohoo'. Like wtf?
Easy to develop a chip on your shoulder when a century of racist priviledges gets swept away.

Last edited: