• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Match is quite interestingly poised tbf. If these 2 can pile on the runs then a tricky lil chase face the Proteas on day 5, potentially. If they can nip out these 2 the game could be over by lunch.

Stapel

International Regular
Think they will be able to set SA around 200 to chase and it will come down to a QdK-Philander make-or-break partnership.
If Australia can actually reach 440 in the 3rd innings, 200 in the 4th doesn't seem too hard. Having said that, I don't think the Aussies will get to 440.

Marius

International Debutant
Nope

Greatest wk/batsman in history who revolutionized his position vs guy with a couple of good games under his belt
Good point - nobody should ever be compared to the Great Gilchrist. Glory shall be his alone and we should ignore false prophets like QDK.

Last edited:

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nope

Greatest wk/batsman in history who revolutionized his position vs guy with a couple of good games under his belt
Attacking left-handed wicketkeeper batsman, who opens in ODIs and bats 7 in Tests. You can't see the comparison?

A handful of good games - he has 11 ODI centuries - how many fingers are on your hand?

Obviously he has a long way to go to match as you say, the man who redefined the role of wk-batsman, but if you can't see why QdK is compared with Gilchrist, there's something wrong with your eyesight.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Attacking left-handed wicketkeeper batsman, who opens in ODIs and bats 7 in Tests. You can't see the comparison?

A handful of good games - he has 11 ODI centuries - how many fingers are on your hand?

Obviously he has a long way to go to match as you say, the man who redefined the role of wk-batsman, but if you can't see why QdK is compared with Gilchrist, there's something wrong with your eyesight.
Greatest ever vs talented novice

Like comparing McGrath with Rabada

Let me remind everyone that before the last test, SA were regarded as complete rubbish

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Greatest ever vs talented novice

Like comparing McGrath with Rabada

Let me remind everyone that before the last test, SA were regarded as complete rubbish
What are you even talking about? Clearly de Kock is being compared with Gilchrist because of how similar his role in the team is. No one's saying he's the greatest wicketkeeper to ever play the game.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that since Gilchrist retired the best keeper/bat was Prior and QDK is better than him makes it a relevant discussion. Yes he needs to do it for a period of time but he has made a bloody fantastic start and will only get better given how young he is.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's no doubting QDK could be something pretty special, the big question mark for me will be whether he can perform in more foreign/alien conditions.

That will be the difference between a great, and someone like Sehwag (not comparing records, styles or anything, just the that level of player - very destructive in the right conditions but a tier below great).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I get the comparison but it just feels odd to compare a guy who completely revolutionised the way the game was played (I know others contributed before anyone points it out) and one who has 2 Test centuries, albeit is an aggressive, free-scoring LH WK.

anil1405

International Captain
I get the comparison but it just feels odd to compare a guy who completely revolutionised the way the game was played (I know others contributed before anyone points it out) and one who has 2 Test centuries, albeit is an aggressive, free-scoring LH WK.
He must thank his stars that Lee Irvine's career coincided with South Africa's dark days.