• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Missed the whole day, I'll catch the highlights but looks like Moeen and Root played well. Any demons in the pitch?
There was something in it for the seamers in the first hour but we ****ed it up with our slip catching. After that, i's been an absolute belter 450 par imo.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was something in it for the seamers in the first hour but we ****ed it up with our slip catching. After that, i's been an absolute belter 450 par imo.
It was reversing towards the end, seamers posed a threat throughout really. Which is good news for England.

flibbertyjibber

Missed the whole day, I'll catch the highlights but looks like Moeen and Root played well. Any demons in the pitch?
Not yet, odd ball has uneven bounce which could get a lot worse. Would imagine batting will be fine for next 2 days and then it depends on the game situation and what scoreboard pressure there is on day 4 and 5.

Daemon

I don't think Ansari's going to be doing much bowling in the first innings. Looks very much a seamers wicket for the first 2-3 days.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yes Yadav and Shami posed many problems in the first 12 overs...didn't watch their later spells

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Was just before Bayliss arrived. Farbrace was in charge for that series.
Aye my memory is ****e. Bayliss was appointed but they left it to farbrace for that series.

Cos farby wasn't a moron like moores and played stokes as a batsman rather than a bowler. He scored that class ton at Lords as a result of the backing.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Not yet, odd ball has uneven bounce which could get a lot worse. Would imagine batting will be fine for next 2 days and then it depends on the game situation and what scoreboard pressure there is on day 4 and 5.
so I guess England just need to go do the basics of test cricket: post a big enough score and bowl well enough to limit a lead or stop a lead all together.

Compton

International Debutant
Totally agree.Umpire's call by definition means it was not a bad review so you should not lose one for it.
If team's didn't lose a review on umpire's call then there would be 20+ reviews a day.

Anything other than the most optimistic shout would be 'worth a look' because the risk of it not being Umpire's Call is so much smaller than the risk of it not being overturned.

Besides, the umpire's call being protected is consistent with the purpose of the system; to overturn howlers. Umpire's call decisions are marginal, and that's not what the system is intended for.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Well done England. Should aim for 400-450 . Hoping for a competitive series in India.
I think they should target 500 from here, with the tail they have. I am particularly worried about the next two - Bairstow and Woakes. Hope Ashwin finds his mojo back tomorrow.

Woodster

International Captain
Excellent first day for England on a pitch that is admittedly somewhat easier to bat on than those encountered in Bangladesh. As people have alluded to earlier in this thread, Shami and Yadav were impressive first up and Hameed and Cook did well, albeit with a huge slice of fortune in Cook's case, to survive the first 10 overs. Cook looked more like the nervy 19 year-old, groping at several deliveries in that opening burst, Hameed the more assured, organised and calming influence. Cook will be disappointed with his dismissal just when he seemed to be finding his feet.

Hameed was impressive in making his 31, I've not seen a lot of him and while reluctant to get carried away by one innings, he does appear to have the temperament and technique to make a real case for this position on a permanent basis, but of course this is still very early days.

Ben Duckett I think is going to have real problems with Ashwin, so concerned about getting trapped LBW with the one that goes on, he is exposing his stumps and his vulnerability to sticking off with any delivery that straightens on him.

Joe Root looked an absolute class above. Moeen was also more disciplined than I've ever seen him, while also playing with calculated risks when allowed. Root just didn't miss an opportunity to score, his piercing of the field to several full tosses was a lesson to anyone not to overhit the ball even when the ball is there to be slapped. Everything about his play was to be admired, he was solid in defence, forward and back incisively, rotation of the strike was impressive never allowing the bowler to settle, and he looked busy and kept the board ticking. He was a real joy to watch.

As for the Indian attack, good effort from Shami and Yada first up and a couple of impressive spells later in the day when it started reversing, Yadav unfortunate not to trap Root LBW in the 90's. Shami was hampered throughout the afternoon/evening session with a dodgy hamstring, but carried on manfully. There wasn't a lot of turn around which negated Ashwin and Jadeja to a degree, and Mishra threw in too many four-balls.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Well at this halfway point Root is 384 runs ahead (and he has had 3 innings less), Kohli has only scored more then 309 runs in a series once (Root has 6 series scoring more then 339 runs ftr). I don't like Virat's chances here.
Root vs Kohli aggregate update: Root ahead by 508 runs despite playing 2 innings less.

That cover drive by Hameed against Ashwin when he was on 21 was gorgeous.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Just watched the replays. Not much to add to what has been said here. FWIW, I thought the catch was just (just) fine.

I do have a question, but not about the play today: I know Indian cricket fans will show up during the ODI's, but this really was a very very small crownd, not?
The stadium is in the middle of nowhere and it's a work day. India weren't batting so not as many people rock up when they hear India have won the toss. And the whole 500/1000 note withdrawal will have really effected attendance today.

Woodster

International Captain
The stadium is in the middle of nowhere and it's a work day. India weren't batting so not as many people rock up when they hear India have won the toss. And the whole 500/1000 note withdrawal will have really effected attendance today.
For a country that is fanatical about cricket, such a sparse crowd surprised me aswell. It shouldn't matter necessarily who's batting, etc.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If team's didn't lose a review on umpire's call then there would be 20+ reviews a day.

Anything other than the most optimistic shout would be 'worth a look' because the risk of it not being Umpire's Call is so much smaller than the risk of it not being overturned.

Besides, the umpire's call being protected is consistent with the purpose of the system; to overturn howlers. Umpire's call decisions are marginal, and that's not what the system is intended for.
There really aren't 20 umpires calls a day, doubt there is in a match. that's just hyperbolic.

The howler thing is becoming redundant, as it should be, get the decisions right, you have the technology.

Stapel

International Regular
Hameed was impressive in making his 31, I've not seen a lot of him and while reluctant to get carried away by one innings, he does appear to have the temperament and technique to make a real case for this position on a permanent basis, but of course this is still very early days.
One test innings is in deed too early to get carried away. Perhaps scoring 1500 first class runs as a teenager is not?