• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Tom Flint

International Regular
I thought it was one of the best day 1 pitches I can remember. It swung, seamed and carried all day (see yadavs nut to stokes with the old ball in the 85th over, it turned a bit as Cook and duckett found out but not too much to favour ashwin and co. It was a perfect ballance between bat and ball, it was just top class and disciplined batting from us with some poor fielding from India that swung the day our way.

Woodster

International Captain
I thought it was one of the best day 1 pitches I can remember. It swung, seamed and carried all day (see yadavs nut to stokes with the old ball in the 85th over, it turned a bit as Cook and duckett found out but not too much to favour ashwin and co. It was a perfect ballance between bat and ball, it was just top class and disciplined batting from us with some poor fielding from India that swung the day our way.
I thought the carry was a little indifferent and you could tell that was the feeling with India as their slips crept in very close at times, also I don't think there was much seam movement at all through the day. Yadav showed good skills with his reverse swing later in the day and both quicks bowled well with the new ball. It is a decent first day pitch, but a good toss to win for England as it did favour the batsmen on this first day, imo.

smash84

The Tiger King
england should try and prolong the first innings as much as possible. By the looks of things they would probably be able to stretch it to tea tomorrow.

Woodster

International Captain
england should try and prolong the first innings as much as possible. By the looks of things they would probably be able to stretch it to tea tomorrow.
Well, you'd hope so, but wickets can go in clusters in the sub-continent, but obviously with Broad down at 11 we bat deep, just hope the top 7 do the bulk of the work tomorrow.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's certainly developing fast - I saw him bat for most of the first day of the Middlesex/Lancashire Championship match at Lord's in June, and beautifully though he batted I only noticed him play one delivery off the back foot (it was a cracking hook for six mind)

There's already more to his game five months on, as although I didn't get up in time to see much of his innings today according to the always interesting @CricProf he played a quarter of the deliveries he faced off the back foot
He seems like Root, talented but also a sponge, will soak up everything and use it to his advantage later on. Yes he will have tough times ahead but they will make him a better player. looks to have it up top which is vital.

Compton

International Debutant
Looking at how quickly Hameed seems to be developing, exposing him to test cricket so young can only be a good thing. Even if he goes back to CC for a year, he'll go back having learned so much, and with much more appreciation and awareness for where he needs to improve. Seems a shame they didn't play him in Bangladesh now.

Kid's a talent. That's for sure.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
There's not "always a countdown left, regardless of time" it's just that 98% of the time teams are going at under 15 overs an hour.

Pretty sure Scaly or someone is always arguing that fielding sides should just rush through their overs at 20 an hour when sides are batting for a draw etc.

TheJediBrah

There's not "always a countdown left, regardless of time" it's just that 98% of the time teams are going at under 15 overs an hour.

Pretty sure Scaly or someone is always arguing that fielding sides should just rush through their overs at 20 an hour when sides are batting for a draw etc.
Ah yes I figured it was something like that. It would be interested too if a side was going for a win and the bowling side deliberately slowed down and kept stopping play.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
What if it's a 5th day and a team is playing for a draw or there's a close run chase?

Surely you can't just play til the close regardless of overs. In those situations there's always a countdown of overs left, regardless of time.

So is it only for days 1-4?
I think it's been covered already, but the countdown is technically the minimum overs remaining. If you have the time, you can always bowl more. As for slowing down, you must bowl 15 in the final 'hour' whether that takes you 60 minutes or 85 minutes. If it takes less, I believe you can go beyond the 15 in the final hour too.

That being said, I've only umpired limited overs cricket so I don't know that law especially well.

TheJediBrah

I think it's been covered already, but the countdown is technically the minimum overs remaining. If you have the time, you can always bowl more. As for slowing down, you must bowl 15 in the final 'hour' whether that takes you 60 minutes or 85 minutes. If it takes less, I believe you can go beyond the 15 in the final hour too.

That being said, I've only umpired limited overs cricket so I don't know that law especially well.
So potentially you could have a situation where a team is playing out a draw, they reach the minimum overs and think they're safe, but it turns they have more time to survive.

How farcical would that situation be? With the opposing sides conversely rushing/wasting time.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So potentially you could have a situation where a team is playing out a draw, they reach the minimum overs and think they're safe, but it turns they have more time to survive.

How farcical would that situation be? With the opposing sides conversely rushing/wasting time.
Why would that happen?? The batting side would know the fielding team is ahead of the over rate so they would be looking at the clock.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS, what do you think of "laying" the England to win market?
I like it providing you don't think it'll become really hard to bat in the fourth innings. I wasn't paying enough attention yesterday to make a call on the long-term stability of the pitch (thanks US voters), but I definitely don't think it's going to do much at all for the first three days, and England don't have the attack for this sort of wicket at all IMO.

TheJediBrah

Why would that happen?? The batting side would know the fielding team is ahead of the over rate so they would be looking at the clock.
Easily. How does a team get duckworth-lewis wrong in a World Cup elimination match?

This sort of **** happens.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Easily. How does a team get duckworth-lewis wrong in a World Cup elimination match?

This sort of **** happens.
Nah, DL is ****ing complicated. Looking at a clock is pretty basic and something I reckon even Aussie cricketers should be able to handle.

Daemon

Best I've seen Moeen apply himself, even though I think the SL 4th innings ton was better overall.

Last edited: