• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
What if it's a 5th day and a team is playing for a draw or there's a close run chase?

Surely you can't just play til the close regardless of overs. In those situations there's always a countdown of overs left, regardless of time.

So is it only for days 1-4?

On the last day the 'final hour' starts after 75 have been bowled and then a minimum of 15 are bowled in that hour (or more if you are slow) so you could get more than 90 but only if the extras were in that last hour

Howe_zat

Audio File
Amazed we got one like it. Maybe they are trolling us by letting us win this match then playing us on bunsens for a 4-1 win.
Honestly don't think more spin = india win. They are wary of our deep batting as Kohli admitted at the toss, and a low-scoring game makes itmore likely that a h4x innings from Stokes, Woakes or the tail tips it to us. They nearly came unstuck against SA doing this a couple of times because players like Kohli and Rahane are actually weaker against spin than pace.

This kind of pitch probably suits the Indian batsmen the most while in theory leaving us to cope with trying to bat long against their better spin bowling, but they bowled and fielded badly today and england have been good enough to make that count.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The centuries list for England top five batsmen since Bayliss took over reads

Root
Root
Cook
Root
Cook
Root
Root

Moeen Ali with a chance at the combobreaker tomorrow morning

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly don't think more spin = india win. They are wary of our deep batting as Kohli admitted at the toss, and a low-scoring game makes itmore likely that a h4x innings from Stokes, Woakes or the tail tips it to us. They nearly came unstuck against SA doing this a couple of times because players like Kohli and Rahane are actually weaker against spin than pace.

This kind of pitch probably suits the Indian batsmen the most while in theory leaving us to cope with trying to bat long against their better spin bowling, but they bowled and fielded badly today and england have been good enough to make that count.
Agreed, I don't think the signs on this first day constitute a mistake on the part of pitch preparation. They probably want to err on the side of flat pitches with a predominant assistance for spin, so that the advantage in their bowling isn't nullified by the potential for freak collapses. I think we'll see this when India come to bat - they'll feel that even if we can rack up some runs against their spinners they'll comfortably be able to do the same to ours.

Perhaps there's a bit more pace than they'd like, but that tends to be something that's less controllable. Also need to see if it breaks up at all, since it seems there's the potential for that.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've always found it odd that teams simply don't speed up their overs when it is clearly to their advantage to do so (trying to bowl a team out who are batting for a draw).

Particularly if you have lots of bowlers to choose from. But teams never do it. Yes the batting side will try to slow things down, but there's a limit to what they can do.

Teams could quite easily get another 10-20 overs in during the day if they wanted. You'd perhaps lose a bit of initiative with captaincy by speeding up. But people just have a closed mindset of doing what everyone else does without actually thinking clearly and unbiasedly about a game situation.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the last day the 'final hour' starts after 75 have been bowled and then a minimum of 15 are bowled in that hour (or more if you are slow) so you could get more than 90 but only if the extras were in that last hour
That's not quite true.

There are a minimum of 75 overs to be bowled before the last hour starts. Basically you play up until the final hour, if you get more than 75 overs in the previous 5 hours of play then fine - if you bowl them slower you get extra time to fit the 75 in. You still get the last hour with the minimum of 15 overs from when it starts.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
What if it's a 5th day and a team is playing for a draw or there's a close run chase?

Surely you can't just play til the close regardless of overs. In those situations there's always a countdown of overs left, regardless of time.

So is it only for days 1-4?
Then it would be called Limited Overs cricket wouldnt it?

Stapel

International Regular
Just watched the replays. Not much to add to what has been said here. FWIW, I thought the catch was just (just) fine.

I do have a question, but not about the play today: I know Indian cricket fans will show up during the ODI's, but this really was a very very small crownd, not?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I couldn't agree with any of this less TBH, I'm afraid. The umpire on-field should still be our first port of call, they're not perfect and that's why we have DRS. Yet Soft calls and umpire calls are fine with the technology not being perfect either. Only thing is that teams shouldn't lose reviews on umpires call IMHO.

Totally agree.Umpire's call by definition means it was not a bad review so you should not lose one for it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I missed the play since lunch too. There is a limit to how much hot star coverage you can get through when at work. :p

England batted well, India bowled decently for the most part, and it is a road. Catching was horrible and Jadeja and Mishy were definitely not in good form today. Otherwise we might have seen a more even 300/6 sort of day. England have very capable batsmen till 11 and it will be hard work but for some reason I am seeing a bit of a collapse tomorrow from England.

And given that we have always started well in the recent series against England, only to go on to stink up the joint later, I hope this series is a happy reversal of that trend.

EDIT: didn't know that word was banned. I pay to watch matches live on my mobile, damnit.

Slifer

International Captain
Well done England. Should aim for 400-450 . Hoping for a competitive series in India.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
I see that Jimmy Anderson took one look at the pitch this morning and decided that his shoulder wasn't up to it, hmm. Guess he needs those early May tests against Sri Lanka/West Indies at Durham to actually be fit.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Also, Root and Moeen's batting today compared to their hapless efforts against Bangladesh just proves that Mehdi/Shakib>Ashwin/Jadeja/Mishra. Can't wait to see the Indian trio bowl in South Africa, England, Australia and New Zealand again.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see that Jimmy Anderson took one look at the pitch this morning and decided that his shoulder wasn't up to it, hmm. Guess he needs those early May tests against Sri Lanka/West Indies at Durham to actually be fit.
What are you on about? He only arrived the other day and was ruled out of this test before he arrived. He might be fit for the 2nd test but it depends how well he goes in the nets over the next week.

You really dislike Anderson for some reason. Quite pathetic to have such an agenda against one person.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
What are you talking about it has only recently been reported that he might be fit for the second test at the earliest. Before that they were talking about maybe 3rd test.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What are you on about? He only arrived the other day and was ruled out of this test before he arrived. He might be fit for the 2nd test but it depends how well he goes in the nets over the next week.

You really dislike Anderson for some reason. Quite pathetic to have such an agenda against one person.
All he does is troll. Constantly. Just ignore it.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Missed the whole day, I'll catch the highlights but looks like Moeen and Root played well. Any demons in the pitch?

Tec15

First Class Debutant

:whistling Just reiterating some of the comments English posters have made about Vernon Philander in Australia, mate. Don't work yourself into a froth over it.