• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Blocky

Banned
At least we got to see that Root is better than Williamson, because he has the guts to make a hundred in India.
Not only that, he advances the game much better than Williamson. A strike rate of 68 in these conditions is great and really sets England up.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Wtf at Nass arguing that 'life goes on in fast motion'

That's not an argument. If it were then why have slow mo on DRS as well.
Thing like whether a batsman has edged it aren't speed related, whether someone has it under control arguably is. More like judging a foul in football.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yadav was in control when he threw the ball. It was just that the throw was a ridiculously bad one.

harsh.ag

Yadav was in control when he threw the ball. It was just that the throw was a ridiculously bad one

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Think it was probably the right decision but looking at the Gibbs one it really isn't that different.

Blocky

Banned
This is reminding me of the Steve Smith dismissal.

Batsman makes an error, is given out, under review is still given out and those partial to their team spend the rest of the test complaining about it.

Root made a mistake, was caught fairly and the idiot threw the ball too quickly - but he had completed the catch.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yadav was in control when he threw the ball. It was just that the throw was a ridiculously bad one.
If the throw doesn't go close to where you intended can it really be considered control?

Like for example when/if Yadav next bowls a beamer and apologises shall we say that he was in control of it so it must be deliberate?

I didn't see the catch ftr so have little opinion.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is so obviously not the same situation. He has a point.
Thing like whether a batsman has edged it aren't speed related, whether someone has it under control arguably is. More like judging a foul in football.
There's no difference between having control of the ball in slow mo and normal speed. They both happened in real time.

Either way, Yadav had both hands comfortably around it and then opened up his palms to intentionally toss it up. I'm fairly certain ****ed up the part where he tried to palm it as a celebration and out of instinct turned around to catch it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The way the catch law is interpreted near the boundary is completely inconsistent with how it's interpreted everywhere else. We've all seen fielders hold on to it longer than that but have the umpire signal six because they couldn't stop themselves from running over the rope, but we've also all seen fielders catch and release quicker than that and have it ruled out.

Realistically, if you throw it up before you stop moving your feet then it shouldn't be out.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The way the catch law is interpreted near the boundary is completely inconsistent with how it's interpreted everywhere else. We've all seen fielders hold on to it longer than that but have the umpire signal six because they couldn't stop themselves from running over the rope, but we've also all seen fielders catch and release quicker than that and have it ruled out.

Realistically, if you throw it up before you stop moving your feet then it shouldn't be out.
This is a good point.

Pothas

Control is clearly related to time in some respect though.

As I say I think it is just about ok but it is pretty close.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Saying he had control of the ball would be like saying I'm in control of my senses when drunk if I manage to walk two steps in a straight line

Farcical. Just a mercy ruling by the umpires because India weren't going to get Root out legitimately

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At least we got to see that Root is better than Williamson, because he has the guts to make a hundred in India.
Aside for your piss take about KW's guts, I do think Root has his nose in front of both Smith & KW as of this moment. In fact I had him slightly ahead coming into this series.

harsh.ag

If the throw doesn't go close to where you intended can it really be considered control?

Like for example when/if Yadav next bowls a beamer and apologises shall we say that he was in control of it so it must be deliberate?

I didn't see the catch ftr so have little opinion.
Have a look at the catch. He was doing the kind of throw where you thrust open your palms upwards in a V-fashion and the ball pops up to some height. Just did it poorly, as it happens sometimes with that kind of an action. Has happened to me as well many times.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no difference between having control of the ball in slow mo and normal speed.
Yeah there is mate.....it's the perception of time that he's got the ball. Plenty of spilled catches would look caught in slo mo, it;s just that they normally go to ground instead of up in the air.

TBH, I still can;t make my mind up on it...........so I don't feel sawn off or anything.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Saying he had control of the ball would be like saying I'm in control of my senses when drunk if I manage to walk two steps in a straight line

Farcical. Just a mercy ruling by the umpires because India weren't going to get Root out legitimately
I think control of the ball is a bit of a red herring anyway, because it has to have control of his own movement for it to be a fair catch, and given he was still in his follow-through he pretty clearly didn't IMO.

The act of making the catch shall start from the time when a fielder first handles the ball and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball and over his own movement.
Like I said though we've all seen fielders catch and release quicker than that before they've really gained control over their own movement before and it never seems to matter unless they're near the boundary. I think the ruling of out is consistent in our weird little world of inconsistency but I think as per the letter of the law it wasn't actually out.