• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Tom Flint

International Regular
Gutting that steyn is out but it wont ruin the series as the saffers have 2 replacements who would walk into almost every other team. Philander, rabada, morkel/abbott is still a proper gun attack

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There wasn't a game in the ODIs where he wasn't holding the shoulder as well. Obviously he wasn't 100% here and trying to bowl 150kph probably didn't help. Think Abbott will play the rest of the series especially as Morne himself said he wasn't feeling 100%.
Pretty ridiculous that SA have Morkel and Abbott as injury cover. They'd be first picks for lots of sides.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pattern of collapses 'hard to take' - Warner

David Warner: "It's tough to see, as an opening batter sometimes, when you get off to those starts as a top four and then you sort of fall away that easily."
"It's quite hard to take that when you're in the change rooms. I can't really remember, unless we go back to Hobart last year, where we really capitalised in that middle period. That's something we've really got to work hard on, and at the moment I don't really have the answers.
I would be hoping, if I was Australian (or a lover of cricket!), that created a more determined batsmen than a dejected one, right now.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I'm trying to work out if morkel would get into England's team , not ahead of broad or Anderson but in front of woakes although it's been handy having woakes batting at 9 for us so I'm still unsure. Thoughts anyone...?

Spark

Global Moderator
Pattern of collapses 'hard to take' - Warner

I would be hoping, if I was Australian (or a lover of cricket!), that created a more determined batsmen than a dejected one, right now.
To be fair, this is probably the one person who cannot be blamed at all for this, and there's a definite "what the **** are you idiots doing" vibe coming through here, quite justly. I think there's a stat floating around that Aus opening stands are the best in the world; it's what happens after that where everything goes to poo.

hazsa19

International Regular
To be fair, this is probably the one person who cannot be blamed at all for this, and there's a definite "what the **** are you idiots doing" vibe coming through here, quite justly. I think there's a stat floating around that Aus opening stands are the best in the world; it's what happens after that where everything goes to poo.
Yeh, fair one. I'd like to hear some of this from England's lower order players rather than the usual 'we're working hard as a unit to improve' crap.

SeamUp

International Coach
Agree. Why hide your disappointment.

The players may not be good enough or as good as previous generations but there is a certain level you expect of Australian test batting line-ups and they haven't been good enough for a while now. Guys need a wake-up. Straight talk.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The scary thing for Aus, listening to the comments on here, there does not appear to be any great alternatives.

smash84

The Tiger King
true, but he shouldn't be voicing this out in public like this. Seems to come out as an employee who just whines about the problems but has no solution to it.

Heboric

International Debutant
Really feel for Steyn :down: :down:. Dont want another South African fast bowler to limp off in retirement like AD

1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Johannesburg, Feb 22-24, 2002 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I honestly have no idea how it works, I can only imagine money is at the center of the decision not to broadcast the cricket.

It is not like there are radio stations lining up to broadcast 5 days of cricket though, so the rights (if there is any) will probably be pretty cheap.
This has made me so angry, how expensive can it be they friggin commentate by watching it on tv in JHB. Heck i have heard them commentate when the tv feed is showing highlights thinking its another wicket.

They keep on whining they want to spread the game, but if their target cant see or listen it defeats the purpose.

They seem to have money to show u19 womens soccer, yet nothing for a National team who for the most part are doing ok.

:ranting::ranting::ranting:

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Apparently that's the worst collapse after a 150 run opening stand by a team other than Zimbabwe.
Zimbabwe have had a 150 run opening stand? :ph34r:

Edit: Who am I to say that, when's the last time England had one?

Last edited:

Compton

International Debutant
Assuming Australia won't budge from playing a seamer at 6, who do they turn to if they lose patience in Marsh?

Henriques? Faulkner?

Bijed

International Regular
I'm trying to work out if morkel would get into England's team , not ahead of broad or Anderson but in front of woakes although it's been handy having woakes batting at 9 for us so I'm still unsure. Thoughts anyone...?
Even keeping in mind the now-standard disclaimer that stats don't tell the whole story, here's Woakes' record since his recall against Sri Lanka. Now way Morkel gets in ahead of him at the moment, in my opinion.

Ahead of Finn? Yes, definitely.

Last edited: