• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah I think we've been a bit quick to write an obituary for the man when he's still alive and kicking.
I see why it could be the end for Steyn, he hasn't been in the best of form recently + he's broken down quite a few times now mid-tour. I just hope he doesn't rush himself back into the game. It would just be a shame for his career to end like this, even if he has cemented himself as the great of his era

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Think Steyn rushed himself back... remember during the LO series he kept holding his shoulder after throwing the ball in, hopefully no more T20/LO`s and he just gets himself better for the tests.
I won't say he rushed himself back..I mean he was out of cricket for a fair bit..but not sure if he really needed to play those ODIs.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Such a shame for Steyn to be injured again and I pray he does return at some stage and proves the doom merchants wrong.

Spark

Global Moderator
You'd hope he still has a bit left in the tank. He didn't bowl well yesterday, but it was easily the fastest I've seen him in years.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ Yeah I wonder why he was cranking it up to that extent. I mean we all know he can go past 150+ but for most part of his career, he has been in the range of 135-145 and he hasn't really needed to bowl that fast.

hazsa19

International Regular
Nah **** right off Greg James just called them Swanny and Vaughany.

I hope Ponting decapitates him with his bat before this **** is all over the Ashes.

BT sport get ****ed.
This has really ****ed me off. The Sky vs BT thing is just a massive dick swinging contest with absolutely no benefit to the consumer.

OverratedSanity

You'd hope he still has a bit left in the tank. He didn't bowl well yesterday, but it was easily the fastest I've seen him in years.
He bowled really well today too. SA 's poor bowling yesterday was more down to stupid tactics than any problems with Steyn/Philander' s execution. Even in the England series, Steyn looked superb before breaking down. He's still definitely got it.

indiaholic

International Captain
^ Yeah I wonder why he was cranking it up to that extent. I mean we all know he can go past 150+ but for most part of his career, he has been in the range of 135-145 and he hasn't really needed to bowl that fast.
Probably because there was no swing on offer. He cranks it up when wickets are needed but the ball is not moving in the air.

vcs

I wonder whether he'll play Tests again. Shoulder injuries for quicks are often career-ending, let alone at his age. I guess we'll see but geez I hope we haven't seen the last of him.
Was distraught to see the cricinfo update saying he's out of the series. Probably my favourite player in world cricket right now, hope he can come back and bowl a few more special spells.

Now I'm even more disappointed that I didn't get to watch him bowl live in the rained out Bangalore match last year, though I did get to see AB play a lovely innings....

Last edited:

Daemon

If SA can win this test and at least draw the series with Steyn and AB out it'll be absolutely massive.

Daemon

Philanders bowling to a good plan here, even if it means he goes too straight once in a while. Imo the wicket ball will be an innocuous one slightly pitched up outside off
Good call Daemon

the way de Kock's going I fear Warner and Smith are going to pump SA all over the park.
Solid. Should've known better than to put faith in Smith though.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why the **** does Steyn insist on playing limited overs :@

CSA could have a crowdfund for him to sit out LO games. Would donate generously.

OverratedSanity

Why the **** does Steyn insist on playing limited overs :@

CSA could have a crowdfund for him to sit out LO games. Would donate generously.
I think he was arguing that his injury problems started because he had long stretches where he didn't play cricket for months on end and then had trouble getting into match rhythm immediately after. He had a point, but in hindsight it looks a bit silly that he plays those ODIs.

Red Wingz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
He had to mostly play in the era of flat tracks and yet, able to maintain godly stats so even if he is done his legacy as GOAT test bowler is sealed

But really really hope he comebacks n gets those magical 500 wickets without harming the jaw dropping stats

Bahseph

International Debutant
The sad thing about Steyn's injuries is that he clearly hasn't lost his skill. I don't think he is done, but he is going to need to reevaluate his approach.

That may be incredibly difficult because what sets him apart from everyone else is his explosiveness and fluidity at the crease. Him finishing with 417 wickets feels like we are missing a chapter or two of his story as well.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think he was arguing that his injury problems started because he had long stretches where he didn't play cricket for months on end and then had trouble getting into match rhythm immediately after. He had a point, but in hindsight it looks a bit silly that he plays those ODIs.
There wasn't a game in the ODIs where he wasn't holding the shoulder as well. Obviously he wasn't 100% here and trying to bowl 150kph probably didn't help. Think Abbott will play the rest of the series especially as Morne himself said he wasn't feeling 100%.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointing stuff that Steyn is completely out of the series. Takes some of the gloss off the series. It really looked like he was really pumped up for the series and wanted to tear apart aussies. Shame it's not going to happen.

SeamUp

International Coach
Had time to reflect on Dale.

Think this will have to be his final rehab he has to do and he needs to make sure when he comes back that he has made any necessary adjustments and that he is 100%.

The entertainment he has brought has been almost second to none in the last ten years of test cricket and really I will miss that chain-saw celebration but luckily KG has decided to carry it on.

Let's hope it is 417*