• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gambhir in Hindi also means "serious/grim"... ****, this works on so many levels.. Hate the fact that Burgey came up with it.. :p

Kirkut

International Regular
What does Gambhiring mean btw? Cos this will get confusing during the series for me what with Gautam back in the side.
I'm guessing it originated from the 4th test at the Oval ground in the 2011 test series. Gambhir had a headache and asked Dravid to open for the team in both the innings, most fans see this as poor sportsmanship, hence 'gambhiring'.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If you are digging for the coining of the term itself, you have to go further back in time, to the summer of 2011 when we went in as World #1, then Zak Zakked off and our backsides were handed to us by England for a whole friggin summer.

indiaholic

International Captain
Haha, I'd assumed it was something that he did in interviews or something like that, but it's basically "Don't like Gambhir, don't like this either, name it after him" :laugh:

When you say it's 'because it is dire', do you mean his cricket or is he just a dislikeable guy?
Oh he is quite alright as a player. In a team where everybody was good against spin, there were moments when he seemed like the best of the lot.

But he behaves like an entitled prat on the field. Very Kohliesque.. When the Dhoni movie came out, he tweeted that we should be making movies about soldiers not cricketers etc.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm guessing it originated from the 4th test at the Oval ground in the 2011 test series. Gambhir had a headache and asked Dravid to open for the team in both the innings, most fans see this as poor sportsmanship, hence 'gambhiring'.
No.

igorbalis

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Leicester has some class Indian food though, mainly on or near Belgrave Road. Maybe not comparable to what I had in Rajasthan but great in its own right.
Yes! Took a young lady for a Thali there. Well, I say I took her there, she took me because I don't drive. But it's the thought that counts.

Bijed

International Regular
Oh he is quite alright as a player. In a team where everybody was good against spin, there were moments when he seemed like the best of the lot.

But he behaves like an entitled prat on the field. Very Kohliesque.. When the Dhoni movie came out, he tweeted that we should be making movies about soldiers not cricketers etc.
Fair enough. The bulk of his career co-incided with me barely following cricket, so I don't really know him, but he sounds like the type of player I'd take a dislike to

burr

State Vice-Captain
This series has the potential to be a classic (or a 5-0 drubbing), so hope England bring it. Think one of the few times I'll be supporting England!

I'm a little worried about Root's form, but let's hope Cook comes to the party.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Fair enough. The bulk of his career co-incided with me barely following cricket, so I don't really know him, but he sounds like the type of player I'd take a dislike to
There are a lot of appalling qualities about him but a few things are okay:

1. Doesn't like bowlers ****ing about on the pitch when he is running between the wickets and finds ways to 'bump' into idiots who use it as a tactic. For example, Afridi, Watson etc.

2. REALLY hates Pakistani cricketers and doesn't try to hide it during matches unlike a few other guys in the team he played alongside with.

3. He is basically India's Katich.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Burgey, doesn't this sound like a 14 year old posting?
Maybe you're right,but I thought it more of an IQ of 14 tttt.

Beards are on the way out btw. Peak beard was about 12-18 months ago. Just because they're still a thing in popular culture only proves popular culture is lagging behind. I know this because Newtown.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, I'd assumed it was something that he did in interviews or something like that, but it's basically "Don't like Gambhir, don't like this either, name it after him" :laugh:
Lol that's exactly what it was.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Some **** get this stickied.
Not before the Sri Lanka-Zimbabwe series which has already completed the 1st gets stickied. In fact, to prove that CW is an equal opportunity employer and doesn't suck up to the Big 3 like the ICC, this thread should not be stickied until the first test is completed.

cnerd123

likes this
Not before the Sri Lanka-Zimbabwe series which has already completed the 1st gets stickied. In fact, to prove that CW is an equal opportunity employer and doesn't suck up to the Big 3 like the ICC, this thread should not be stickied until the first test is completed.
This thread has been stickied while PEWS isn't even aware there is a second SL/Zim test happening :laughing:

Big 3 in full force on CW.