• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All 'Other Factors' are now basically the Quota system and not experience, team culture, personalities, etc, and any and every bad selection shall, when it involves a non-White player, be labelled as the Quota system at work. It's not like any other side has every picked a player to bat in the top 7 based on their bowling ability right? Or have persisted with an under-performing batsman because the potential replacements are untested or unproven, right? These things never happen. Must be Quotas.

Like I said, this is literally the worst thing to come out of the Quota system. A convenient narrative/reason/scapegoat to turn to when we don't quite agree with the selection of a non-white player.
The thought that the quota system was the "other factors" entered de Villiers' mind. Not ours.

“We had been assured that Cricket South Africa was the only national sporting governing body in the country that had declined to set a target for the number of players of colour to be included in the national team, but there was a delicate balance to be struck and it was generally understood that, as they chose the side, the national selectors would be conscious of working towards providing opportunities for at least four players of colour,” De Villiers said in his book.
“So what had happened? Had Vernon, who was officially classified as coloured, been selected ahead of Kyle, who was classified as white, to ensure there were four players of colour in our team for the semifinal? Or had the decision been made for purely cricketing reasons?
“It depressed me even to think of my teammates in these outdated racial terms, as white or coloured, but three players of colour had played in the quarterfinal, so could three players of colour play in the semifinal, or was that not the case?,” he said.
However, de Villiers insisted that his side didn’t lose ‘because of the decision to replace Kyle with Vernon’, but due to their failure to take “five clear opportunities … three possible run-outs and two catches”.
If it was something that genuinely entered the team captain's thought process, I don't see how you can label it unfair when the same thing crosses our minds.

Burgey

It doesn't matter in this test anyway because there was no stand out replacement for him, be they black, white or brindle.

cnerd123

likes this
If it was something that genuinely entered the team captain's thought process, I don't see how you can label it unfair when the same thing crosses our minds.
It's not unfair; it's what I hate about this whole thing. Every non-obvious selection of a non-white player is going to be viewed with this in mind. And it's terrible.

Criticizing Duminy's selection in this XI is the next step. It goes from just crossing someone's mind to becoming the deciding factor in someone's selection. And that just becomes a fresh new lazy narrative/thought process/scapegoat for people to turn to so they can have an easy answer for a complicate question.

No good comes out of this whole thing. Urgh.

Burgey

Man, Starc is really bringing his white ball form into test cricket these days. He's just quality now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I hate how the RSA board doesn't think it is possible to be inspired by a person of a different colour to you who is representing your country. Why wouldn't a young white boy from South Africa like Bavuma, why wouldn't a young coloured girl enjoy watching Steyn. The statement "Giving opportunities to 4 players of colour" does my head in.

TheJediBrah

Man, Starc is really bringing his white ball form into test cricket these days. He's just quality now.
He's not even close to his best here too, which is the really scary thing.

I hate how the RSA board doesn't think it is possible to be inspired by a person of a different colour to you who is representing your country. Why wouldn't a young white boy from South Africa like Bavuma, why wouldn't a young coloured girl enjoy watching Steyn. The statement "Giving opportunities to 4 players of colour" does my head in.
Lol it's like the government are thinking "Well everybody's racist anyway and we can't change that so . . . quotas!"

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
barely anybody on this forum thinks Mitch Marsh deserves a place in this team based on performance. this surely has to be his last chance

watch Duminy not get dropped again the rest of his test career. Even if his average slips further. And no I won't use this argument for anyone but Duminy, that I can promise you. Duminy is in the unique position of having already got a lot of test experience, being in the middle order and having that 176 to be used as evidence for his 'potential' for the rest of his career.

cnerd123

likes this
barely anybody on this forum thinks Mitch Marsh deserves a place in this team based on performance. this surely has to be his last chance

watch Duminy not get dropped again the rest of his test career. Even if his average slips further. And no I won't use this argument for anyone but Duminy, that I can promise you. Duminy is in the unique position of having already got a lot of test experience, being in the middle order and having that 176 to be used as evidence for his 'potential' for the rest of his career.
I mean you just listed 3 very good reason on why Duminy may never be dropped. I don't see why you have to add 'Quotas' to that list.

Mike5181

International Captain
Bavuma's ****ing adorable. May just be my favourite player outside NZers.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Juicy