• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

indiaholic

International Captain
Quotas are usually a way to show you are doing something when you are too cash strapped to do anything meaningful. The solution in SA seems to be along the lines of getting black kids into schools and institutions which act as feeders for cricket teams or maybe develop such institutions from the ground up. That is a lot of hardwork, takes years to work through. Quotas can work as an appeasement till the time they can actually set these things up.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
TBF I think you're being harsh on KWP here, who has probably grown up post-apartheid and may well see at grass roots level very good representation across all races so wonders what the fuss is about.

I don't know if that's the case.

It may also be that KWP thinks apartheid is something from the past and has been rightly moved on from, and accordingly there shouldn't be quotas. That doesn't mean they are blind to the history of their country, it might mean their hope is in this day and age people can rightly just be selected on their merits.

Again, I just don't know.

But I don't think it's totally fair to characterise KWP's post in quite the way you have tbh

Edit: never mind.
Lol sorry,

You can't eliminate history.

Quotas are a double edged sword, on one side the system does not favor non white players, hell you can't even brush the non white players under the same brush as you would even find coloured or indian people calling some black players quotas, because the system is favoring them even less.

So it is in place to give non-white players a fair shot instead of discarding them to the reject pile... But it also puts more pressure on those players.

Last edited:

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
That is true for Rabada too, right? Seems like a good way to get kids in the system.
Rabada also went to a good cricket school, but like Themba I am unaware of their history before that, they would have made a bigger deal if it was a rags to riches story like Ntini, that guys story is remarkable.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How can you expect Lyon to throw properly with such an off balance and horrendously misshapen head?

Send him to whoever does the business on Warnie tbh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is junior cricket in SA mostly based around schools or clubs? It's the latter here and I think we're a lot better for it

Gnske

Always figured de Kock would be up for a sledge while batting, interesting that he's avoiding any eye or verbal contact with the bowlers, looking quite focused.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Is junior cricket in SA mostly based around schools or clubs? It's the latter here and I think we're a lot better for it
grade cricket and club cricket are awesome systems because while they're competitive, they preserve the fun side of cricket imo

and i'm the most competitive guy i know but i imagine a system based on school cricket, aside from the likely over competitiveness, also leads to issues around rich schools and poor schools amongst other things

indiaholic

International Captain
Rabada also went to a good cricket school, but like Themba I am unaware of their history before that, they would have made a bigger deal if it was a rags to riches story like Ntini, that guys story is remarkable.
Read a profile on him in an Indian newspaper. It mentioned that his father had a rags to riches story but by the time Kagiso was born, they were very well off.

TheJediBrah

Why do fielding captains so often go full re**** when they have a batsman and tail-ender batting together?

bowling half-trackers, giving a way singles, around the wicket, rubbish bowling everywhere . . . it blows my mind

It almost always ends up with the lower order getting good partnerships because the fielding side aren't happy to just bowl normally and try to get the batsman out

Burgey

Schools as far as I know. And you better hope you either have money or get scouted when you are 13 or 14.
Yeah I thought it might have been like that. Wouldn't that make it harder for the black population generally to have access to the best junior facilities, coaches etc?

One of the things I like best about being club based is that it doesn't matter if you rock up in Roller or on a push bike, you still get a crack.

StephenZA

Read a profile on him in an Indian newspaper. It mentioned that his father had a rags to riches story but by the time Kagiso was born, they were very well off.
Father became a Dr could afford the fees.... not a scholarship boy from the townships unlike somebody like Ntini/Ngam.

Damn I wanted Bavuma to score a century. Playing Maharaj does not look like a bad idea, if his extra batting gets us another 50+ runs.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Why do fielding captains so often go full re**** when they have a batsman and tail-ender batting together?

bowling half-trackers, giving a way singles, around the wicket, rubbish bowling everywhere . . . it blows my mind

It almost always ends up with the lower order getting good partnerships because the fielding side aren't happy to just bowl normally and try to get the batsman out

#intent