• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Howe_zat

Audio File
barely anybody on this forum thinks Mitch Marsh deserves a place in this team based on performance. this surely has to be his last chance

watch Duminy not get dropped again the rest of his test career. Even if his average slips further. And no I won't use this argument for anyone but Duminy, that I can promise you. Duminy is in the unique position of having already got a lot of test experience, being in the middle order and having that 176 to be used as evidence for his 'potential' for the rest of his career.
well yeah that's plausible, that's Rohit Sharma-ing

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I hate how the RSA board doesn't think it is possible to be inspired by a person of a different colour to you who is representing your country. Why wouldn't a young white boy from South Africa like Bavuma, why wouldn't a young coloured girl enjoy watching Steyn. The statement "Giving opportunities to 4 players of colour" does my head in.
That is the thing, when Bavuma scored his 100 it was seen as an inspiration... but how is it possible that the feats of ABdV is not an inspiration to any young player regardless of colour?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can understand that perspective, n00fers, but I'm a white bloke in a country where numerically the dominant race is white and that race has always filled the cricket team.

I do think in a country which has had a history of formal racial division like South Africa, the perception of a past time or a sport as being a white man's sport is a great negative to coloured people in that country. And long term, its to Cricket SA's detriment if the vast majority of its people see the game in that light, because it will only weaken their side in the future. The breakdown of apartheid is only just over 20 years ago now, that's like one generation. You don't overturn several hundred years of perception and access to facilities in just that amount of time. I can understand the quota system being brought in to attempt to broaden the base of cricket long term in SA. I could very well be wrong on that, and I can understand why people would have different views, it's just how I see it tbh.

Australia narrowly avoided the sort of apartheid regime which South Africa had, but by the same token there have been (I believe) about two blokes of aboriginal ancestory who've played for Australia, and its only been the past decade or two we've even seen immigrant family names in the side (Kaspa, Katich, Uzzie etc). In the 70s Len Pascoe changed his name to get noticed more (or so the story goes).

Howe_zat

Audio File
That is the thing, when Bavuma scored his 100 it was seen as an inspiration... but how is it possible that the feats of ABdV is not an inspiration to any young player regardless of colour?
Yeah there's no reason why race is seen as a divisive issue in South Africa. Nope. Nothin' to see here. Just been dreamed up out of nowhere.

lalala can't hear you

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really reckon this recent NZ series was Rohits last chance and he grabbed it. Duminy will never have a last chance

Gnske

Yeah there's no reason why race is seen as a divisive issue in South Africa. Nope. Nothin' to see here. Just been dreamed up out of nowhere.

lalala can't hear you
I see someone thinks black people are too racist to have white idols.

When will the bigotry on this forum end?

Burgey

I'm not South African nor am I of colour, so I can't speak with any authority other than giving an outsider's view.

The answer is, they can be inspired. But, if they grow up in a situation where the sport is perceived, rightly or wrongly, as the white man's game, I can see how it won't inspire black kids as much as Bavuma's ton would.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant

lalala can't hear you
I'm not sure what you mean?

I am not saying it does not exist, but people often look for any excuse to reinforce it.

cnerd123

likes this
I really reckon this recent NZ series was Rohits last chance and he grabbed it.
I don't know what you're basing this on.

You do know Rohit Sharma literally played 100 ODIs before he began opening the batting? 'Last chance' doesn't apply to Rohit.

if only India had a quota system so I could blame his selection on that. My life would be so much easier.

Burgey

lalala can't hear you
TBF I think you're being harsh on KWP here, who has probably grown up post-apartheid and may well see at grass roots level very good representation across all races so wonders what the fuss is about.

I don't know if that's the case.

It may also be that KWP thinks apartheid is something from the past and has been rightly moved on from, and accordingly there shouldn't be quotas. That doesn't mean they are blind to the history of their country, it might mean their hope is in this day and age people can rightly just be selected on their merits.

Again, I just don't know.

But I don't think it's totally fair to characterise KWP's post in quite the way you have tbh

Edit: never mind.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Anyway it seems like a new ball game, if Australia get past the opening spells without too much damage they should slide past 300. Match'll be decided by Steyn and Philander's first 6 or so overs I reckon.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I'm not South African nor am I of colour, so I can't speak with any authority other than giving an outsider's view.

The answer is, they can be inspired. But, if they grow up in a situation where the sport is perceived, rightly or wrongly, as the white man's game, I can see how it won't inspire black kids as much as Bavuma's ton would.
That is a fair point.

Themba is a tough one, I am really not sure what his background is, but he spent his whole high school career at private schools so he got more "lucky breaks" than most black people would ever get going through the "white man" system.

morgieb

At least with Nohit there is an argument that his career hasn't had the most ideal circumstances (IIRC between the 2013 West Indies series and the most recent one against New Zealand he only played one home series, which was on very bowler-friendly wickets). With Duminy he's been poor home and away for years (although that injury in Australia probably hurt his momentum).

indiaholic

International Captain
That is a fair point.

Themba is a tough one, I am really not sure what his background is, but he spent his whole high school career at private schools so he got more "lucky breaks" than most black people would ever get going through the "white man" system.
That is true for Rabada too, right? Seems like a good way to get kids in the system.

Burgey

Yeah, I'm not pretending to have any massive insight into this whole thing. I can see the reasoning behind the quota system, but I can also see that I was a Saffer and my young bloke aced it up through the ranks as he got older but struggled for a look in, it would be easy to blame the quota system on that occurrence.

mr_mister

I don't know what you're basing this on.

You do know Rohit Sharma literally played 100 ODIs before he began opening the batting? 'Last chance' doesn't apply to Rohit.

if only India had a quota system so I could blame his selection on that. My life would be so much easier.

the commentators were even talking about and cricinfo articles were popping up after he 'threw away' his start in the first innings of the first test. it had crossed over from the forums to the com box. also you can't fail forever in India where there are always more batsmen knocking on the door. You can blame it on Kohli's hard-on for him if you want, that's what I gathered as the main excuse on this forum.

btw i'm not debating whether Quotas are necessary or not. I don't have a strong opinion on that because I think arguments can be made for/against them. In the long term I'm for them. I'm just simply stating they're gonna allow Duminy to never be dropped again lol so he can put his feet up if he wants coz his position is forever safe

TheJediBrah

Anyway it seems like a new ball game, if Australia get past the opening spells without too much damage they should slide past 300. Match'll be decided by Steyn and Philander's first 6 or so overs I reckon.
this is a 450 pitch, at least