• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

cnerd123

likes this
No one is saying it's solely down to quotas. If you can't see how the Quota system might contribute to Duminy playing a bucket load of tests in the future despite not being good, which is prettyuch all mister was saying, I have nothing more to add.
There hasn't been a single incident so far of South Africa retaining a mediocre player over a superior one just due to their skin colour ever since the quota system became public knowledge.

So forgive me for not considering it as a realistic factor to consider.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah Duminy's continued selection down the years isn't down to him being coloured. He's been playing since before the quota system is a thing, is still one of the most talented batsmen in the country, bowls useful offspin and is an excellent spinner and by all accounts is well liked in the dressing room.

He's could play a 100 tests due to the Rohit Sharma syndrome, to put it down to quotas is lazy and annoying.
Is there any suggestion he's become too much of a bits and pieces all rounder to the detriment of his batting alone? You sometimes see these blokes do a lot of bowling in LO stuff and it takes away from their batting across formats, especially tests. I don't follow OS ODI and T20 series a great deal because they don't mean that much to me, but does he still regularly bowl in LO stuff? Seems to me I'd rather him focus on batting alone in tests, but I'm a bit old fashioned that way I guess.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep thanks for having my back OS. JP could average early 30s the rest of his career (like he has so far) and I still doubt hel have any major issues staying in the team, as the quota means SA would have to jump through hoops to make the side work without him because of the Quota. Duminy must be loving it because his position is secure for the rest of his 30s if he wants

I think it's genuinely an interesting thought

I don't see the quota system as being taboo to discuss

Last edited:

Daemon

the way de Kock's going I fear Warner and Smith are going to pump SA all over the park.

cnerd123

likes this
Yep thanks for having my back OS. JP could average early 30s the rest of his career (like he has so far) and I still doubt hel have any major issues staying in the team, as the quota means SA would have to jump through hoops to make the side work without him because of the Quota. Duminy must be loving it because his position is secure for the rest of his 30s if he wants

I don't see the quota system as being taboo to discuss
Sigh.

Wish we had a quota system in India so we could blame Rohit Sharma's career on that. Saves us the trouble of trying to understand what selectors, coaches, etc think and evaluating who the replacements are and examining performances in detail...just blame the Quotas! Life would be so easy...

OverratedSanity

There hasn't been a single incident so far of South Africa retaining a mediocre player over a superior one just due to their skin colour ever since the quota system became public knowledge.

So forgive me for not considering it as a realistic factor to consider.
I don't think whether it's actually happened so far or not is relevant.

Regardless, didn't de Villiers say the selectors said there were "other factors" which played a role in Philander's selection in the wc semi? He was under the impression on the eve of the match that the team would be unchanged but then found out Philander would come in for Abbott. Again, it wasn't the only reason why Philander was selected, so stop saying it. But it apparently did influence selection.

Gnske

Sigh.

Wish we had a quota system in India so we could blame Rohit Sharma's career on that. Saves us the trouble of trying to understand what selectors, coaches, etc think and evaluating who the replacements are and examining performances in detail...just blame the Quotas! Life would be so easy...
That's an RTB bootlicker tier of response fam, you're better than that.

TheJediBrah

Australia are stuck with the Marsh quota system though so it evens out in the end

I don't think whether it's actually happened so far or not is relevant.

Regardless, didn't de Villiers say the selectors said there were "other factors" which played a role in Philander's selection in the wc semi? He was under the impression on the eve of the match that the team would be unchanged but then found out Philander would come in for Abbott. Again, it wasn't the only reason why Philander was selected, so stop saying it. But it apparently did influence selection.
I also wouldn't be surprised if Philander playing this Test now isn't quota-influenced

I can't see why they'd go with him over Morkel, unless they were really digging his extra batting ability.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Sigh.

do you truly think anything I said is wrong? Rohit just had a great series so like, suddenly the faith has been repaid to the selectors. Good for him and good for them, hopefully Duminy can do the same - but if he doesn't, I still don't think he'll be dropped. When it comes to a potential toss up between him and Faf soon (when AB comes back) Duminy might get the nod based on the quota. Regardless, Cook and Elgar will have their head on the chopping block long before JP. His test career was surely on lifeline before this new quota was brought in

and he barely bowled in tests at all this year despite playing a few, so yeah sure he bowled in some LO game but cmon ***** you know that's not relevent to this test when there isn't a requirement to have members of your top 7 bowl a few

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
All 'Other Factors' are now basically the Quota system and not experience, team culture, personalities, etc, and any and every bad selection shall, when it involves a non-White player, be labelled as the Quota system at work. It's not like any other side has every picked a player to bat in the top 7 based on their bowling ability right? Or have persisted with an under-performing batsman because the potential replacements are untested or unproven, right? These things never happen. Must be Quotas.

Like I said, this is literally the worst thing to come out of the Quota system. A convenient narrative/reason/scapegoat to turn to when we don't quite agree with the selection of a non-white player.