• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Originally named Centurion Park, SuperSport Park, the home of Northerns (Northern Transvaal), is in easy access of Johannesburg, Midrand and Pretoria.
One of the newer stadiums and Test venues in South Africa it has been described by various International Captains as "One of the grounds with the best players' facilities in the world". The stadium's appeal is the grass embankments which make up a large part of the seating area, ideal for good family cricket watching. Beach Cabana type hospitality chalets have been erected high on the grass banks for added corporate viewing pleasure. A pavilion at the north end of the ground completes the 22,000 spectator capacity.
Known for being one of the quicker pitches in South Africa, it also gives plenty of opportunity to batsmen, with the ball generally coming onto the bat. It has never been seen as a spinners paradise. The outfield is level, lush and fast with a drainage system on par with any in the world.
Can a Saffer help...where exactly is this ground? Which city. Sorry for the powder puff question...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sun for the next 7 days with zero chance of precipitation. Only a meteor can stop this getting underway.

Zinzan

*** me are we that much of a joke? lol

I might be misreading your comment and I get SA have to go in as favourites, but are the two sides really that much of a mis-match?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

It's weird seeing all this talk about how Steyn bowled well despite "cutting down on his pace" in the first test. That line was regurgitated by commentators on air, on cricinfo and cricbuzz and by people on other forums too. I know Steyn said he was willing to sacrifice his speed going forward to increase his longevity a bit but it doesn't mean he was immediately going to reduce his pace by 5mph for the rest of his career. I saw no evidence of it in his spell in the first test either, despite people saying he was slower. It's like they haven't watched Steyn bowl at all.... He's always been in the 135 kph range with his opening spell.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Don't recall this at time, but how apt was it that Kallis, Fleming and Pollock all knocked up their 100th Test cap in the same match & in Centurion of all places

Zinzan

Might just be me, but seems a short-sighted decision by KW to bowl first on the face of it. Little bit a grass on the track, sure, but given everyone thinks the wicket will go up and down later on, not so sure about it. Faf seemed pretty happy at the toss.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Might just be me, but seems a short-sighted decision by KW to bowl first on the face of it. Little bit a grass on the track, sure, but given everyone thinks the wicket will go up and down later on, not so sure about it. Faf seemed pretty happy at the toss.
Surprising decision... feels slightly defensive. Track dry out and turn at leas day 4/5.

Elgar out (ankle injury) is not good, not sure how much I like QDK opening the batting... don`t think its the correct decision right now, but unsure who else they could have used... maybe push Amla up one...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe thinks our bowlers need the bit of early nibble quite a bit - their strength is their top order whereas ours is our middle order.

Zinzan

I actually agree with Pollock's idea which we've all talked about previously, that being opening with Raval and sending Guptill down to 5. With that order they might have felt better about batting first and getting through the new ball here. Although as Doull said, they wouldn't feel they could drop Nicholls since he didn't get a bat in Durban.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
it also may be because QdK is opening, so KW really wants to get those early wickets.

I don't mind it, the more that I think about it.

Also, if you're picking 4 pace bowlers it's not a particularly negative option to bowl first.

Zinzan

Maybe thinks our bowlers need the bit of early nibble quite a bit - their strength is their top order whereas ours is our middle order.
Let's just hope they're not 120-1 at lunch or she may be a long day. Interesting Faf thinks the wicket will quicken up quite a lot which will really suit SA.

Zinzan

it also may be because QdK is opening, so KW really wants to get those early wickets.

I don't mind it, the more that I think about it.

Also, if you're picking 4 pace bowlers it's not a particularly negative option to bowl first.
Although he wouldn't have known that in advance unless they anticipated it. Anyone would have assumed van Zyl would open looking at the team sheet.