• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

burr

State Vice-Captain
Yasir really showed us what a quality spinner can do for an attack, when we had Pakistan three or four down there was always an old ball partnership while the attack could regroup. Pakistan's bowlers could just keep it coming. Difference between the sides right there.

While England have a lot of potential candidates to assist their middle order, not least bringing in Stokes for Finn to revert to the kind of safety in numbers that has seen them win a few series lately, it is very hard to see the spin question being answered any time soon.
Spin definitely does appear as England's long-term weakness.

Well done to Pakistan. If they are half-way decent this summer bodes well for the Aus summer too.

Niall

International Coach
Stokes and Anderson back is very good for England, bowling and batting strengthened hugely assuming its Ball and Finn gone.

Plenty of guys come to the party for Pakistan, however without repeating myself , I feel the 2 duds at the top are a massive issue. Azhar looked to be in bad old Azhar mode of eating up to many dot balls, while the Younis innings was odd, maybe it was just a one off bad match which to be fair he is due, but at 38 in conditions he has not batted in for a while, its not absurd to fear for him this series.

Obviously England are not exactly unbeatable even with Anderson and Broad, but I still think over 4 tests, England will win the series.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yasir really showed us what a quality spinner can do for an attack, when we had Pakistan three or four down there was always an old ball partnership while the attack could regroup. Pakistan's bowlers could just keep it coming. Difference between the sides right there.

While England have a lot of potential candidates to assist their middle order, not least bringing in Stokes for Finn to revert to the kind of safety in numbers that has seen them win a few series lately, it is very hard to see the spin question being answered any time soon.
Yeah, if we were ever in danger of forgetting how amazing Swann was for England then this sort of Test is a good reminder.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Spin definitely does appear as England's long-term weakness.

Well done to Pakistan. If they are half-way decent this summer bodes well for the Aus summer too.
With respect, Aus will beat them comfortably on home turf.

The fact that Yasir was outstanding shouldn't allow England to pretend they were anything other than dire for too much of this game. Looking at their performance on Days 1 & 2 suggests they thought they could just turn up and win as this series isn't being played in the UAE. Unfortunately not. as I said after Day 2, being bowled out by a leggie in the 4th innings is one thing, but to collapse against him on Day 2 at Lord's is unforgivable. Yes we know they don't come across this sort of thing in the CC, but they should have had some sort of game plan, and the clearly didn't. As Woakes pretty much admitted after the event.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah while I didn't see us pulling off a win first up, I did expect us to win 1 Test in this series. This may be it. I'm thinking a 2-1 result is most likely.
This first test at Lords was always going to be the most likely for a Pakistan win. Not saying they're not a chance in any of the others (if OT isn't a greentop then Shah could very well put us to the sword there) but if you were identifying 1 test that Pakistan would win then you'd definitely be looking at Lords........horrible venue for the home side.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great win by Pakistan. Kudos.

Jeez England's middle order looks as fragile as my late grandmother's crockery set. Really got some issues with their batting ATM and it was brilliantly exploited by Pakistan. Was a gripping test match

Niall

International Coach
I think swapping Azhar and Hafeez in the batting lineup may not be the worst idea.
Yeah Azhar opening would solve a lot of issues, but from all accounts Misbah and the man himself not keen on it.

Its very tricky what to do with Hafeez, I don't think he will do much this Summer like many here, but look at his numbers over the last few years and he has been quality, can you really justify binning him at this moment?

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Couldn't watch the day's play. Had some social committments and didn't even have the time to put it on record to watch it later. Gutted about that. Really happy for Pakistan though and excited at the prospect of the upcoming games.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Have only seen highlights of the evening session but looked like the Pakistan seamers were near unplayable once it started reversing. Add in Yasir and there's a massive difference in how threatening the two sides are with an old ball on fairly slow wickets.

Pakistan are so likeable though. Particularly Misbah and Yasir.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Really happy with the result, like a few people said if there was one venue where Pakistan could win it was at Lords. Really don't want to see Hafeez playing in the team especially when he is not allowed to bowl, with James Anderson possibly returning for the second test he probably won't even get to double figures.

social

Very skilful bowling as there really wasnt much in it for the bowlers

Whilst a lot of people on here are calling for Vince's head, I have more faith in him than Ballance from what I have seen

Anyway, good result for Pakistan but you'd have to think that Younis will really have to step up if they are to maintain their lead as a couple of their batsmen look decidedly dodgy

watson

Banned
Cook not getting across his stumps, and Root falling for the sucker-punch were soft dismissals that left England with no hope of chasing down the required runs.

However, the Pakistan attack is first class and the real cause of victory rather than England's mediocrity with the bat.

I can't see England's middle-order recovering from here-on-in with the only hope of victory in the coming Tests being the England bowlers blasting out the Pakistan lineup for even less runs than what the England lineup manages to scrape together.

Last edited:

social

Really happy with the result, like a few people said if there was one venue where Pakistan could win it was at Lords. Really don't want to see Hafeez playing in the team especially when he is not allowed to bowl, with James Anderson possibly returning for the second test he probably won't even get to double figures.
Wouldnt surprise me to see their bowlers do very well at Old Trafford

social

Cook not getting across his stumps, and Root falling for the sucker-punch were soft dismissals that left England with no hope of chasing down the required runs.

However, the Pakistan attack is first class and the real cause of victory rather than England's mediocrity with the bat.

I can't see England's middle-order recovering from here-on-in with the only hope of victory in the coming Tests being the England bowlers blasting out the Pakistan lineup for even less runs than what the England lineup scape together.
Said it before but I dont rate Cook as being a great player of pace and I can see him having a lean series here

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Very skilful bowling as there really wasnt much in it for the bowlers

Whilst a lot of people on here are calling for Vince's head, I have more faith in him than Ballance from what I have seen

Anyway, good result for Pakistan but you'd have to think that Younis will really have to step up if they are to maintain their lead as a couple of their batsmen look decidedly dodgy

Yeah wasn't sure about his footwork though, really felt he wasn't comfortable playing on this pitch. I am expecting a lot from Azhar Ali as well, he has to step up in the next game if Pakistan are to post a decent total as you can't rely on Misbah and Shafiq every time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Congrats Pakistan, happy for their fans on this forum too.

Bad luck to England fans, was a good test. Sets up the series well.