• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Woakes wasn't even that bad in the first South African Test. The 4th was easily the worst I've ever seen him bowl though.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woakes wasn't even that bad in the first South African Test. The 4th was easily the worst I've ever seen him bowl though.
Yeah, he bowled with discipline and no luck in the first test but was horrendous in the 4th. You have to give him and the selectors credit for what has happened since as despite his great form they may have left him out and nobody would have argued as he didn't look up to it.

Makes you wonder if previous regimes had stuck with players instead of getting rid after a couple of games what may have happened, Bicknell cough cough.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've always been a big fan of Woakes but I honestly thought his Test career might be done after that fourth Test in South Africa. He was absolutely horrendous. I still believed he had it in him and hoped he'd get another chance down the line but I wouldn't have blamed the selectors too much if they just looked elsewhere after that. He'd been solid without results for a while but when you start bowling like that *on top of* having a poor record you can't be expecting lots of chances. I'm so happy he's made something of this chance though; one of my great cricketing hopes for the past few years has been Woakes cementing a spot in the Test side.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't say that the figures support this. In the 21st century, there have been 33 targets of 280-320 set in the 4th innings of a test, and only one in every three have been chased down. So to have England and Pakistan both at evens you have to think that England are significantly more likely than average to get that kind of a score in the fourth innings, which doesn't strike me as correct seeing as it's not a road and we're struggling to play Yasir any better than the last 3 tests.
Yeah Pakistan seem value. Odds partly skewed by UK money I'd say.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First full day of Test cricket I have been able to watch this summer, we better make it a classic.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've always been a big fan of Woakes but I honestly thought his Test career might be done after that fourth Test in South Africa. He was absolutely horrendous. I still believed he had it in him and hoped he'd get another chance down the line but I wouldn't have blamed the selectors too much if they just looked elsewhere after that. He'd been solid without results for a while but when you start bowling like that *on top of* having a poor record you can't be expecting lots of chances. I'm so happy he's made something of this chance though; one of my great cricketing hopes for the past few years has been Woakes cementing a spot in the Test side.
What I really like is the prospect of him and Stokes in the same side, always thought only one of them was really going to be able to make it but it is perfectly set up for both now.