• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
There are loads of times I thought Woakes' career was basically finished. When he got dropped for Stokes who scored a ton in Perth, when he got injured and Stokes returned and smashed NZ all over the park, the 4th test in SA. But I suppose it's not a surprise he's stayed around the set up so long, given he ticks a lot of the boxes the England management and selectors like; really good domestic and England Lions performances, has multiple facets to his game, hasn't tended to fluster under pressure much, has a good work ethic, seems to fit in very well with the squad etc. There are other guys who are similar in perhaps lacking that x-factor who haven't got extended chances because of doubts about work ethic or character (Samit, Compton, etc).

Niall

International Coach
Patriotic pound at play?

Edit - appears not if we are favourites with Oz bookmakers
Batting depth.

Riaz and Rahat aren't bowlers that are particularly reliable.

Amir only just back to test cricket

England can't possibly play Shah as bad first time round

I fancy Pakistan to win this actually, but England far from doomed.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
What I really like is the prospect of him and Stokes in the same side, always thought only one of them was really going to be able to make it but it is perfectly set up for both now.
Do think it increases the scrutiny on Moeen though. Valuable runs at 8 isn't enough to pass a blind eye on a few bad tests with the ball if you have nine first class tons at number 9.

Howe_zat

Audio File
When this attack bowls to Cook it might be necessary to view it through a mirror, in the hope everything looks normal.

91Jmay

International Coach
Batting depth.

Riaz and Rahat aren't bowlers that are particularly reliable.

Amir only just back to test cricket

England can't possibly play Shah as bad first time round

I fancy Pakistan to win this actually, but England far from doomed.
LOL oh yes they can

91Jmay

International Coach
Wouldn't mind Hales playing an ODI style. If he gets a run a ball 50 could really get the chase off to a flying start.

greg

International Debutant
Have we had the usual discussion about what an absolute bull**** stat the biggest chases one is today?
It's a rubbish stat, if you're going to look at anything it has to be the list of fourth innings scores. Actually in this case it favours Pakistan, at least on recent evidence.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Wouldn't mind Hales playing an ODI style. If he gets a run a ball 50 could really get the chase off to a flying start.
He is out for single figures in ODIs a little too often for me to back that idea. Be worth it if they can get a few close fielders to shift I suppose.

Root was on TMS this morning and was pretty vague, as expected during a match, but I think the subtext was that there'd be no plan except every ball on its own merits.

The scoring rate so far is entirely down to wayward stuff for the seamers being put away properly.

Compton

International Debutant
Listening to TMS there, getting a little fed up with the idea that Hales is likely to blast a quick 50/100.

He's a gun one day player, but he's never really batted particularly quickly in red ball, has he?