• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Been a long time since I have been so excited about the next day's cricket. It hasn't had the highest quality of test cricket but it's been extremely satisfying and exciting.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I've only been able to follow the match here and there. Seems I'm missing out on a potential classic.

Did Yasir bowl great for his wickets or did England just play him poorly? I saw at least Root playing a bad shot.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@theegyptian: Better. He didn't stray down as much as before. He was unlucky too when Baristow dropped a catch off his bowling. However, he looked mentally spent. This has been a rough game for him

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Odds update for Daemon

England 2.00
Pakistan 2.00
Draw 100.00

Cant remember a day 4 I've been this excited about for a while. Then again hasn't exactly been great teat cricket for a while

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I've only been able to follow the match here and there. Seems I'm missing out on a potential classic.

Did Yasir bowl great for his wickets or did England just play him poorly? I saw at least Root playing a bad shot.
Bit of both. Yasir was really terrific. Accurate and testing. However, it's also true that the English didn't handle him will. It was just day 2. Should have been able to defend him but some guys were not good enough.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Odds update for Daemon

England 2.00
Pakistan 2.00
Draw 100.00

Cant remember a day 4 I've been this excited about for a while. Then again hasn't exactly been great teat cricket for a while
That's great odds for Pakistan as they are surely favourites at this point.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
@theegyptian: Better. He didn't stray down as much as before. He was unlucky too when Baristow dropped a catch off his bowling. However, he looked mentally spent. This has been a rough game for him
Thanks. Selvey wrote a sympathetic piece in the guardian and suggested he is close to returning to his best - but that Cook hadn't really backed him much today. Personally given the way he's bowled recently and the position England are in the game I don't see how Cook could have backed him with any real confidence. Hard to see how he retains his position for the next test if Anderson and Stokes return.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I'll agree with Selvey that Finn has had a bad test but is getting better. He is some one I have a lot of time for. He is a strike bowler and you don't get a lot of those at the test level. I am not sure whether I would drop him or not but I would be patient with him as a cricketer.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Chris Woakes is the greatest all-rounder in world cricket. People who didn't see it don't understand the game sadly.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously though I'm so chuffed for him. Guy has worked so hard and basically had to reinvent himself as a player multiple times. Also think it proves those test matches were he bowled quite well but didn't get the wickets he was genuinely unlucky as opposed to a bowler who will simply flatter to deceive because he's missing something to make him test class.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Billings has to come in for Vince or Ballance and take the gloves, maybe he'll average 10 or 15 less then those but he'll save more then that keeping, Bairstow will cost England the series in India, get Billings in against Bangladesh, he's a good player of spin too. England team for the India series :-

Cook
Hales
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Ali
Billings
Woakes
Rashid
Broad
Anderson

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously though I'm so chuffed for him. Guy has worked so hard and basically had to reinvent himself as a player multiple times. Also think it proves those test matches were he bowled quite well but didn't get the wickets he was genuinely unlucky as opposed to a bowler who will simply flatter to deceive because he's missing something to make him test class.
The test match I saw him in South Africa, he was a tad short of being really bad. But this summer it's a different bowler. It is probably a testament to his own hard work and the support he is getting from the coaching staff and management that you can have an unforgettable outing in test cricket in 1 season and come back the next season to back 11 wickets in a game

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Always good to see hard woakes pay off

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
TBF when i first saw him in 2014 I did think Woakes would eventually replace Anderson as a new ball bowler, he has been a better white ball cricketer since until this test match and there's no reason both Stokes and him can't play in the same team.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Odds update for Daemon

England 2.00
Pakistan 2.00
Draw 100.00

I can't say that the figures support this. In the 21st century, there have been 33 targets of 280-320 set in the 4th innings of a test, and only one in every three have been chased down. So to have England and Pakistan both at evens you have to think that England are significantly more likely than average to get that kind of a score in the fourth innings, which doesn't strike me as correct seeing as it's not a road and we're struggling to play Yasir any better than the last 3 tests.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's been a while since Joe Root did something memorable - I have every faith in him - not much confidence in the rest of them though